S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Question that a long time friend asked me?

Old 07-10-2017, 12:48 PM

Received 520 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Emil St-Hilaire
What was your answer,Matt ?

Hint: One can only imagine the excitement experienced by Christa McAullife experienced in her last seventy-three seconds. 18.5 G's at liftoff, and then the sense of acceleration. What a way to go!

I was surprised that my friend was surprised by my answer. After all she asked the question, and if you knew you were going to die in an half an hour, I can't think of a more exciting half hour anticipating the launch.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:54 PM

Received 1,103 Likes on 699 Posts

I have read that the capsule the astronauts were in may have stayed intact after the explosion, and they may have been alive and conscious during the fall to earth. Would you still like to go that way?
(I don't know the truth to those facts)
Old 07-10-2017, 01:12 PM

Received 792 Likes on 534 Posts

Being surrounded by my family and praying to God.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:28 PM

Received 520 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris
I have read that the capsule the astronauts were in may have stayed intact after the explosion, and they may have been alive and conscious during the fall to earth. Would you still like to go that way?
(I don't know the truth to those facts)
Now that you mention it, I recall hearing that as well. But it does not change my answer.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:01 AM
tof
Member (Premium)

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,413 Posts

With Sandy, watching my favorite local band play four or five of my favorite songs, dancing to one or two and joining the band to do some harmony on one. There would also be beer...A nice pint of Trappist Ale. Then "Well, gotta go."
Old 07-12-2017, 06:00 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,539 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Get a ticket to Mars?
Old 07-12-2017, 07:32 AM

Received 1,752 Likes on 1,045 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris
Why not? The end is fast and painless, especially compared to an agonizing death from disease or incineration. Gives you time to make peace with the God you are about to meet one on one.

Originally Posted by S2KRAY
Being surrounded by my family and praying to God.
I agree. You are leaving this form of life for an eternal one, the choice of how you wish to respond to God becomes eternal and irrevocable at death. The last thing I would want to do is something base, hedonistic, and anti-God. I always thought if I were to be executed and offered the so called "final meal" that I would pass on ordinary food and instead fast, attend Mass and consume only Holy Communion.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:57 AM

Received 3,216 Likes on 1,863 Posts

^
You obviously have a strong faith, Ray and Cosmo. Though I was raised Catholic and I believe that my father was able to cope with his illness his last years, due to his strong faith, I'm not in that position. I'm just not feeling the need to participate in all things or anything Catholic or religious at this point in my life. (I'm kicked out of the club as a divorced and remarried member anyway). That said, many non believers, or former believers or those unsure of their beliefs do seem to go the "God route" in their final hours, and I mean no dis-respect by this comment. To each their own. I have to say I'm not even sure I could answer this question. Rick and my family are of utmost importance, but do I want them to see me die or feel like they are "sending me off" into whatever is next? I truly don't know..I don't think I'd want to die alone I don't think anyone does, but who knows? Maybe I'd want to go on some adventure when my demise is imminent. Skydiving perhaps? Parachute optional.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:40 PM

Received 1,752 Likes on 1,045 Posts

^

That is okay, I know from where you are coming from as I was there myself. I decided in High School there was no God and there was nothing but nature. I won't get into the weeds but for me, much later in life, extraordinary events transpired leading me back, kicking and screaming the entire way. Every objection I had was not just answered but it was in my face, in a loving kind of way. I don't have a hunch, don't suspect, don't believe: I know.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:04 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 4,033 Likes on 2,682 Posts

The WPI community was close to NASA as we had a payload on the Challenger.
So needless to say it was on every TV on Campus.
I'll never forget the moment about 20 seconds after the Challenger explosion.
Christa's maiden name was Corrigan and lived about a mile from me growing up but was about 10 years older.
I never knew her but I knew her mother Grace, sister Lisa, and brother Christopher.
I had never made the connection until the camera panned from the smoke trail to the Corrigans whose life and just gone from exalted glory to mind-numbing, horror in the blink of an eye.
It was like a kick in the groin. It still is. I still bump into Lisa now and again. It's always a little awkward.
Would you take that trip with your family watching?

Quick Reply: Question that a long time friend asked me?