Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Looking for Lotus advice

Old 05-12-2017, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by unclefester
Sadly, that job came to an end - still get over to MK for Costco / iFly / Dentist and the odd shopping trip but that's it. Qashqai is at least slightly less whalelike than that other thing you had haha, i am referring to the Toyota

I also still have one of those gorgeous CF plug covers you did, never used it ... just can't seem to bring myself to part with it, it's on the wall in my office :-)
Really? I often wonder what happened to all of those. They were all clearly marked with my forum name and think some may resurface in time.
The original one is in my model cabinet nice and shiny.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:32 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by composite guru
Well I don't want a Porsche. They are like cl*ts, every c*nt has one. Boring!!!

An Evora is remarkably like an NSX in that regard - feels 'alive' at even moderate speeds and even the 2010 boggo model has quite adequate performance.

Hence, why Lotuses have so much appeal. Increasingly so on our increasingly horrible roads.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:51 AM

Received 655 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
Actually, speaking of new Exiges, Colin's been quiet of late....
Dead ages ago

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/man-who-owned-six-tons-9957269.amp
Old 05-12-2017, 05:21 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Kind of tragic and funny simultaneously...
Old 05-20-2017, 07:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Guess who's back, back again...

I think I started a thread like that once...(nob) back in the day, when I was funny, before the moment of madness that resulted in a shit load of books and no fecking free time at all for at least five years. Ok it's brought in a few quid now but feck me, what a way to do it. It's been well over ten years since I went on that feckin folly. And, even now, years and years later...I still pay the student loan company money...that money pit finally gets emptied this year....jesus, what a thought, now I look back...anyway....

i think Comp G (word up) has drawn the correct conclusion already as have others on here. To add some context, I am semi (don't currently have one) obsessive about the Lotus (do currently have one) market. I watch it every day and normally spend most free time seeing what's out there. I have done so for the last five years. The Series 2 Exige S is the absolute best place you can put your money for fun/depreciation. All of the models, I mean all, buck the 'normal' car depreciation trend. So it's safe to a certain degree whatever model you buy. The newer ones are riskier. Lotus seem to have somehow convinced us all (normally incumbent owners) that we can pay more and more for the same stuff. It seems to be working because I'm caught up in it. I currently have a lovely 350 with 700 miles on it. It's not even run in, I hardly drive it, but I now want to get a feckin 380 Cup. I really want to trade up to one. The difference in car is jack all. Chassis, engine, power train, dash, all the same. Seats, suspension, aero, different but not 35k different. But that's what such a trade will take. Why am I telling you this? It's to demonstrate that the brand in recent times really, really, really needs cash and it's going in a new and expensive direction to get it. Whilst a 380 Cup will always be a premium priced car, I can see an 85ker easily being 65k at sale in a few years and whilst in comparitive terms that's not bad, in the insular Lotus bubble, that's pretty poor. But, back to Series 2 Exiges....

If you get a good, unmolested supercharged one, you can view it as an investment. They are extremely mileage sensitive. Normal mileage rules do not apply to this market. 25k is seen as high. This is a Toyota engined car which serviced would be good for 100+. Forget that thinking. Weekend toys require weekend mileages.

The one you mentioned is 6k. That's awesome if correct. I expect it's the light blue version as you said CR. So if it stacks, I expect that to be a reasonably pricey car. I am not a fan of that blue but lots are. It's not one of the drab greys. That's another important point. Colour. Normal colour rules do not apply to this market. Bright is right (not white and forget what you have been told about once having black, it doesn't apply. And in reality that was pink anyway, the bit of interest...lets move on). You might not think it now, but, eventually you will want a colour that looks like it has been plugged into this mains. So go that way now if you can. You'll love it in the end and realise I was right. Or do what we all did, buy a grey one, realise what I have said and get caught on the merry go round.

So that's two rules, mileage and colour. Get those right, in association with condition and I expect if you pay market value now, you will not lose anything on it. If things stay as is, and I think they will, the S2 in now approaching S1 status...I was going to diatribe about that but that's a whole other page to discuss... Let's be realistic and stick with S2. Looked after, weekend toyed, a car bought now following the above rules will likely make you money. I know, big call, but I expect it will. I still look back at my old S2 pics. In many ways it was a more complete example of the brand. It was perfect. Everything about it. It looked it, it drove like it, it smelled like it. Fab. Would have it back tomorrow.

If you want me to look over the details of the car you
​​​​ have first refusal on, PM me. You have my word that I will not share it's details anywhere outside of private discussion with you. I can give you a good idea of the market price. Silverstone are good but you will pay for good so expect a strong cost. I can tell you if it's pants up or pants down money though. I am at that dealer on June 3 so if that helps, can look at the vehicle with you.

...tell yer friends ....
​​​​​​
Stay frosty
Old 05-26-2017, 01:40 AM

Ok so I just put a deposit down on this bad boy.
Year old, 4500 miles and mint. Collect in 2 weeks.
Toxic Green Metallic

Air Conditioning

Comfort Pack

Black Forged Motorsport Wheels with AO48’s

Towing Eye Kit

Sports Air Filter

Air Bag Deletion
Old 05-26-2017, 02:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Brilliant choice of car and colour Matt!
Old 05-26-2017, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by ianl
Brilliant choice of car and colour Matt!
Cheers Ian, I don't think its a proper Lotus if its not a wacky colour!!
Old 05-26-2017, 03:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cheers Ian, I don't think its a proper Lotus if its not a wacky colour!!
Exactly right!
Old 05-26-2017, 04:04 AM

Received 655 Likes on 570 Posts

Ok so I just put a deposit down on this bad boy.
Year old, 4500 miles and mint
I'm interested to hear your thoughts

like it..

amazing to see one thats been used after carpers

Quick Reply: Looking for Lotus advice