S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Opinions please: APR GT-250 vs GTC-300

Old 01-08-2017, 06:29 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I know the CFD data was previously claimed as unreliable. But I would assume its a pretty safe guess that APR has a decent understanding about their wings downforce/drag ratio in comparison to each other. Now obviously if CFD data isn't reliable, then this little slider graph is far less but as a reference it may provide some insight. I would assume that they use the same scale across the board on those graphs. If you click the wing and look at the CFD data it gives some more information.

Name:  Screen%20Shot%202017-01-08%20at%207.25.30%20AM.png
Views: 4232
Size:  138.3 KB
Name:  Screen%20Shot%202017-01-08%20at%207.24.55%20AM.png
Views: 3625
Size:  119.4 KB
Old 01-08-2017, 09:37 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

The graphic shown absolutely proves my point about the CFD data being unreliable. If you look at that graphic, it is clear that APR is saying the GT250 has more lift and less drag than the 200. But if you look at the CFD numbers they published for each wing, the numbers say that that 200 has a significantly higher LD ratio at every angle and speed than the GT250,
Old 01-08-2017, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
I have 2 questions:

1) How do have you determined if a wing has too much drag? As Snowmants said, depending on the rules one limitation is how much front downforce can be created for balance. However, if you can add the necessary splitter, what would be the reason to run less downforce? Is it track specific?

2) This discussion has focused on APR wings. Are they currently preferred to the J's Racing and Voltex wings? Both J's Racing and Voltex offer 2 step wings where the top piece seems to be a split flap. Voltex offers a 'Gurney lip" on the flap. Are all those considered to have too much drag?
1) You have too much drag when you laptimes show it.
2) Most people use APR because it is 1/2 the price of other companies.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:48 AM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
I have 2 questions:

1) How do have you determined if a wing has too much drag? As Snowmants said, depending on the rules one limitation is how much front downforce can be created for balance. However, if you can add the necessary splitter, what would be the reason to run less downforce? Is it track specific?

2) This discussion has focused on APR wings. Are they currently preferred to the J's Racing and Voltex wings? Both J's Racing and Voltex offer 2 step wings where the top piece seems to be a split flap. Voltex offers a 'Gurney lip" on the flap. Are all those considered to have too much drag?
Apr r cheap compared to voltex/js. Apr is a great wing 250 series and up imo but u get what u pay for. I never seen any apr wing run by pro race s2ks. Top fuel S2k uses voltex. Spoon S2k uses spoon wing. Amuse uses voltex. And I compete in global time attack tournaments here in NorCal and all I see is js wings. I have the voletx type 3 with the gurney flap. I think that flap is there to reduce drag. If it was one solid piece the drag would be enough to bend my trunk because the angle of the gurney flap is really emphasized. BTW js wings r made by voletx !!
Old 01-08-2017, 11:07 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ndogg
The graphic shown absolutely proves my point about the CFD data being unreliable. If you look at that graphic, it is clear that APR is saying the GT250 has more lift and less drag than the 200. But if you look at the CFD numbers they published for each wing, the numbers say that that 200 has a significantly higher LD ratio at every angle and speed than the GT250,
Yeah, very true. It's not consistent. Regardless I'm happy with my choice.

I forgot but that last day I was at the Ridge, there was another guy with an S2000, very similar setup, stock intake, catless berk exhaust, ohlins brakes and NT01. Has has driven 5x as many track days as I have and we run times within 1 second of each typically. His car is an AP2 with a GTC-200 Mine and 03 AP1 with GT-250. I expected him to pull on my on the straights, but it was actually the opposite. I continued to spread the gap on the front straight a couple times. He never caught up to me. I'm not sure what AOA either of us are running, but my gut feeling is that the GTC-200 has more drag than the GT-250. I'm also running a 4" front splitter, and he has none which should increase the drag on my car a bit as well.

This is him filming. I'm in the Suzuka Blue car.

Straights are at the 2:05 6:05 and 8:05 marks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6JEdJYwzLA&t=6s

Last edited by sirbikealot7; 01-08-2017 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Singh_snisen
I have the voletx type 3 with the gurney flap. I think that flap is there to reduce drag.
MY APR GTC-300 has the guney flap as well. And I don't think a $16-1700 GTC-300 is cheap per say. But that's just me. Sure there's more expensive wings. But APR is far from cutting corners on this thing.

Last edited by Kirk180; 01-09-2017 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Error
Old 01-09-2017, 01:53 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Singh_snisen
Apr r cheap compared to voltex/js. Apr is a great wing 250 series and up imo but u get what u pay for. I never seen any apr wing run by pro race s2ks. Top fuel S2k uses voltex. Spoon S2k uses spoon wing. Amuse uses voltex. And I compete in global time attack tournaments here in NorCal and all I see is js wings. I have the voletx type 3 with the gurney flap. I think that flap is there to reduce drag. If it was one solid piece the drag would be enough to bend my trunk because the angle of the gurney flap is really emphasized. BTW js wings r made by voletx !!
all the "pro race" s2k's you mentioned are cars built in Japan. for them running a wing they can buy locally is prolly cheaper than importing an APR wing. Also the Japanese are very patriotic, they're not gonna run an American part when they can run a Japanese part. using this as a reason why j's/voltex is better is invalid.
As far as time attack in the US, there are plenty of record setting cars running APR wings. you just gotta look past the s2k's... s2k is one more heavily leaning towards jdm parts than other cars.

I'm not saying APR is better or anything, I don't know which is better. just pointing out the logic you're using in this post is flawed for determining which is better.

about gurney flaps, they don't reduce drag. adding a gurney flap to a wing is a good way to improve the LD ratio, it adds a little drag and more downforce. so overall LD ratio is improved, but there's still more drag than the same wing without a gurney flap.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:08 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

I made a huge plywood splitter that seemed to keep the car pretty neutral at Sebring, both Todd and Nick drove it and loved my car.

I did this to balance out the gigantic Battle Aero 74" swan neck wing I put on

Weighs about 15lbs tho!

Opinions please: APR GT-250 vs GTC-300-8wsplob.jpg

Opinions please: APR GT-250 vs GTC-300-1ttrpey.jpg
Old 01-10-2017, 10:12 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ndogg
1) You have too much drag when you laptimes show it.
2) Most people use APR because it is 1/2 the price of other companies.
I would have thought on the S2000 as much wing as possible would be fastest, as long as it could be balanced in the front, would be advantageous at nearly all tracks. But other than outright size, is there as much attention to front aero and downforce as there is to the rear? If a GTC 300 or equivalent can be balanced, why wouldn't that be the norm?

At the beginning of this thread there was a comment about Singular endplates for the APR wings. But not further comments. Is playing with then endplates important?

BattleAero was mentioned in another post. They have a chassis mounted 66" and 74" chassis wing with either regular or swan neck mounts for what seems like a very low price. Are they not competitive?

I would have thought that all of the competitive classes have lots of rules around wing and splitter sizes and heights. Isn't this usually the determining factor? The NASA TT rules seem to allow a height 8" above the roof, with a 12" endplate. While the width is limited to the width of the car, there doesn't seem to be a limit on how far behind the car it can go, or in front for a splitter. Are there setups that press this to the max?
Old 01-11-2017, 05:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I run the APR 200 at 4degrees with 2.5 inch risers, RSG Mugen Hard top, Wasp front splitter, RSG side splitters, and APR front canards. The car is extremely stable and am very happy with the DF provided by the GT200, in fact it might be a little too much DF on the straights as I have noticed my MPH is 1-2mph lower than others but i will take the trade off for the high speed sweepers where the car is planted.

Quick Reply: Opinions please: APR GT-250 vs GTC-300