San Diego S2000 Owners San Diego and Imperial County S2000 Owners Community meets, events and discussions.

Prospective San Diego owner introduction

Old 08-22-2011, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02_s2k
Originally Posted by latinochino' timestamp='1314065156' post='20903632
[quote name='JB03' timestamp='1314057122' post='20903265']
[quote name='latinochino' timestamp='1314056459' post='20903239']
JB,

Honestly, it is not practical at all. I am married as well and it doesn't do well when you have kids, or moving, or doing groceries, ect..... So we own 3 cars and would have to say that I would never give up my S for anything.
Would you say that it is a hassle to have 3 cars? Parking, insurance, registration? I would think it is nice in a way in case you ever need to have work done on one of the cars, you have a spare. If someone is in town, you have a spare. I think my wife thinks that it is too costly, and she might have a point.

jb
No hassle at all since I have a 2 car garage home. I had 3 cars before I purchased my home. So parking for me is no problem and then of course you are purchasing another car. So you have to pay for registration for another car. Plus with insurance you get a discount with multi cars and home insurance. If you have the income to handle all of these, then go for it. It is defiantly convenient when I have family and friends from Jersey come over. The only draw back is me and my wife own manual shift vehicles. So visitors are assed out if they cant drive stick.

It does get costly but in the same time I am lucky enough to drive only 3 miles and wife takes the sprinter to work. So it is more like an "investment" and my cars actually wear down slowly.

Overall it all depends on you income and lifestyle. Just remember about your future and cost.
[/quote]
Your wife drives a manual? That's cool. Has she driven the S? My wife refuses to learn.
[/quote]

Hell no! lol She is to scared and I don't blame her. It is way to low and she knows that it is my first love and she knows she would get messed up if she did something to it. lol.

She is not much of the driver. I am. But I think I love her enough to drive it only if she asked. I wouldn't offer of course lol.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by latinochino
Originally Posted by 02_s2k' timestamp='1314066256' post='20903669
[quote name='latinochino' timestamp='1314065156' post='20903632']
JB,

Honestly, it is not practical at all. I am married as well and it doesn't do well when you have kids, or moving, or doing groceries, ect..... So we own 3 cars and would have to say that I would never give up my S for anything.
Would you say that it is a hassle to have 3 cars? Parking, insurance, registration? I would think it is nice in a way in case you ever need to have work done on one of the cars, you have a spare. If someone is in town, you have a spare. I think my wife thinks that it is too costly, and she might have a point.

jb
No hassle at all since I have a 2 car garage home. I had 3 cars before I purchased my home. So parking for me is no problem and then of course you are purchasing another car. So you have to pay for registration for another car. Plus with insurance you get a discount with multi cars and home insurance. If you have the income to handle all of these, then go for it. It is defiantly convenient when I have family and friends from Jersey come over. The only draw back is me and my wife own manual shift vehicles. So visitors are assed out if they cant drive stick.

It does get costly but in the same time I am lucky enough to drive only 3 miles and wife takes the sprinter to work. So it is more like an "investment" and my cars actually wear down slowly.

Overall it all depends on you income and lifestyle. Just remember about your future and cost.
[/quote]
Your wife drives a manual? That's cool. Has she driven the S? My wife refuses to learn.
[/quote]

Hell no! lol She is to scared and I don't blame her. It is way to low and she knows that it is my first love and she knows she would get messed up if she did something to it. lol.

She is not much of the driver. I am. But I think I love her enough to drive it only if she asked. I wouldn't offer of course lol.
[/quote]
LMAO @ "she knows she would get messed up if she did something to it" LOL. That's messed up son. HAHAHA!! ROFL.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well JB, once she gets a chance to ride and drive the S2, she might not let go of the car. 3 cars is the best way to go simply because more is better. I'm kidding. It's much more convenient in case you want to drive something different.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by 02_s2k
Originally Posted by latinochino' timestamp='1314067576' post='20903734
[quote name='02_s2k' timestamp='1314066256' post='20903669']
[quote name='latinochino' timestamp='1314065156' post='20903632']
JB,

jb
ROFL.. ok ok i wont exactly mess here up. I would just yell till i lose my voice and then shake the shit out of her.

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

LMAO @ "she knows she would get messed up if she did something to it" LOL. That's messed up son. HAHAHA!! ROFL.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:11 PM

has Liz read this post Castro?

I'm pretty sure she might mess you up if she read it though
Old 08-23-2011, 03:13 PM

I am pretty sure she would mess me up.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by latinochino
I am pretty sure she would mess me up.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:23 PM

i have 3 cars by myself.. as of now. one of them is going into hiatus though soon.. but i'm one person. I do believe every couple should have 3 cars.. one for each of them, and 1 backup if there's downtime on either of the cars.

that said, i can say.. if you've got 20k the s2k is hard to beat. HOWEVER..in ur situation i would find an earlier ap2 with low miles (they exist) and keep the change for any unforeseen circumstances.

on these cars, get a compression check at the minimum. a 70 dollar service could save you 1600 or more if there are bent valves or whatnot. DO NOT EVER GET AN S2k whose engine is not silky smooth. I know this is probably idiotspeak right now but dont make the same mistake I did.

AP2> AP1. more torque, the cars are just better built and are designed to NOT want to kill you. The ap2 is a vastly nicer daily driver car. it feels more solid and sturdy. I've owned both. The chassis is stiffer as well as some other upgrades. If you want traction control then get a later s2k.

Just know that due to shitty economy, the value on these cars has gone down a little bit. do not overpay for ur s2k. I would not spend 20k on any non-CR s2000. personal opinion.

anyway these are great cars and hope you can find one soon.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by lawl
i have 3 cars by myself.. as of now. one of them is going into hiatus though soon.. but i'm one person. I do believe every couple should have 3 cars.. one for each of them, and 1 backup if there's downtime on either of the cars.

that said, i can say.. if you've got 20k the s2k is hard to beat. HOWEVER..in ur situation i would find an earlier ap2 with low miles (they exist) and keep the change for any unforeseen circumstances.

on these cars, get a compression check at the minimum. a 70 dollar service could save you 1600 or more if there are bent valves or whatnot. DO NOT EVER GET AN S2k whose engine is not silky smooth. I know this is probably idiotspeak right now but dont make the same mistake I did.

AP2> AP1. more torque, the cars are just better built and are designed to NOT want to kill you. The ap2 is a vastly nicer daily driver car. it feels more solid and sturdy. I've owned both. The chassis is stiffer as well as some other upgrades. If you want traction control then get a later s2k.

Just know that due to shitty economy, the value on these cars has gone down a little bit. do not overpay for ur s2k. I would not spend 20k on any non-CR s2000. personal opinion.

anyway these are great cars and hope you can find one soon.
Thanks for the information. I'm saving up and keeping my eye on the market. Goal is still an 06+, lowish miles, <$20k. I see something like that every once in a while. Thanks for the tip on the compression. I'll definitely get a mechanic involved when the time comes, or at least someone more knowledgeable than me.

Funny thing you mention 3 cars. Last week, my wife's outback threw a code and went into limp mode. Would have been fantastic to have 3 cars right then.

jb