San Diego S2000 Owners San Diego and Imperial County S2000 Owners Community meets, events and discussions.

Prospective San Diego owner introduction

Old 08-18-2011, 01:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was good to meet you JB, hope we didn't scare you off
Old 08-22-2011, 08:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I gave JB a ride around town to give him a little taste of what the S2k can do. I couldn't give him the full tour of the car as much as I wanted to due to traffic. Needless to say, can't wait to see you in an S soon!
Old 08-22-2011, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by takchi
I gave JB a ride around town to give him a little taste of what the S2k can do. I couldn't give him the full tour of the car as much as I wanted to due to traffic. Needless to say, can't wait to see you in an S soon!
takchi,

Thanks for the ride. It was great to see what a nice car can do. I'd like to get an S2k even more, and I'm starting to dream about it!

However, yesterday my wife started talking about how impractical it is and how she doesn't want to have 3 cars. I need to either convince her that it is practical (umm... reliable and better mileage than my truck?) and/or the cost for 3 cars isn't that bad.

Thanks again!

jb
Old 08-22-2011, 03:40 PM

JB,

Honestly, it is not practical at all. I am married as well and it doesn't do well when you have kids, or moving, or doing groceries, ect..... So we own 3 cars and would have to say that I would never give up my S for anything.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by latinochino
JB,

Honestly, it is not practical at all. I am married as well and it doesn't do well when you have kids, or moving, or doing groceries, ect..... So we own 3 cars and would have to say that I would never give up my S for anything.
Would you say that it is a hassle to have 3 cars? Parking, insurance, registration? I would think it is nice in a way in case you ever need to have work done on one of the cars, you have a spare. If someone is in town, you have a spare. I think my wife thinks that it is too costly, and she might have a point.

jb
Old 08-22-2011, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by JB03
Originally Posted by latinochino' timestamp='1314056459' post='20903239
JB,

Would you say that it is a hassle to have 3 cars? Parking, insurance, registration? I would think it is nice in a way in case you ever need to have work done on one of the cars, you have a spare. If someone is in town, you have a spare. I think my wife thinks that it is too costly, and she might have a point.

jb
if you have the finances to pay for the car then your fine. if you want it bad enough you will make it work. parking, park it inside! insurance shouldnt be bad if your record is good, plus it would be a "weekend car". you got the bread then enjoy it, the car is a blast and so is the community. i know ill be buying my 3rd s2k in the future.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:58 PM
bdo

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My 2 cents: 3 cars FTW! IMO the only significant ongoing costs are basically insurance and then of course the payments (or depreciation, once you own it). Other than that it's basically just maintenance, which is sort of a cost/mile thing so having the 3rd car doesn't really cost any more, because you will be putting miles on one car or another. So if you decide that those costs are worthwhile then go for it. As long as you don't have severely limited parking at your home, or some other factor like that. Of course there is nothing much "practical" about an S2000, to be fair, but it's something you get because you'll enjoy it.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by JB03
Originally Posted by latinochino' timestamp='1314056459' post='20903239
JB,

jb
No hassle at all since I have a 2 car garage home. I had 3 cars before I purchased my home. So parking for me is no problem and then of course you are purchasing another car. So you have to pay for registration for another car. Plus with insurance you get a discount with multi cars and home insurance. If you have the income to handle all of these, then go for it. It is defiantly convenient when I have family and friends from Jersey come over. The only draw back is me and my wife own manual shift vehicles. So visitors are assed out if they cant drive stick.

It does get costly but in the same time I am lucky enough to drive only 3 miles and wife takes the sprinter to work. So it is more like an "investment" and my cars actually wear down slowly.

Overall it all depends on you income and lifestyle. Just remember about your future and cost.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by latinochino
Originally Posted by JB03' timestamp='1314057122' post='20903265
[quote name='latinochino' timestamp='1314056459' post='20903239']
JB,

jb
No hassle at all since I have a 2 car garage home. I had 3 cars before I purchased my home. So parking for me is no problem and then of course you are purchasing another car. So you have to pay for registration for another car. Plus with insurance you get a discount with multi cars and home insurance. If you have the income to handle all of these, then go for it. It is defiantly convenient when I have family and friends from Jersey come over. The only draw back is me and my wife own manual shift vehicles. So visitors are assed out if they cant drive stick.

It does get costly but in the same time I am lucky enough to drive only 3 miles and wife takes the sprinter to work. So it is more like an "investment" and my cars actually wear down slowly.

Overall it all depends on you income and lifestyle. Just remember about your future and cost.
[/quote]
Your wife drives a manual? That's cool. Has she driven the S? My wife refuses to learn.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:31 PM

My wife is slowly coming around. Its mostly that she just has a thing about having 3 cars. She thinks its dumb. But we do have space for 2 in the garage (3 car garage with a bunch of junk) and enough space in the driveway for the truck.

It's fun reading some of these responses to her. I think the key so far has been to focus on the fact that is is just something for me to enjoy and agree that it isn't practical. We've got space to park everything. I'm getting quotes from my insurance agent soon. Hopefully it won't be too bad with the discounts.

She likes the way the S2k looks, and she drives stick too.

jb

Quick Reply: Prospective San Diego owner introduction