San Diego S2000 Owners San Diego and Imperial County S2000 Owners Community meets, events and discussions.

Prospective San Diego owner introduction

Old 08-10-2011, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prospective San Diego owner introduction

Hi everyone! I'm JB, and I live near Rancho Bernardo. I don't have an s2k (yet). I've got a wife, two kids, and a 10 year old truck. I recently started looking at new sport sedans. However, my wife and I realized that it is really handy to have a truck, so I started looking at used 2 seat sport cars (s2k, miata, corvette, porshe, etc.) to use as my daily driver. The more I looked, the more I liked what I've been reading about the s2k. I finally decided to join a forum to actively seek advice in addition to reading all that I can about this car. I joined here because of the active San Diego group.

My budget is probably low $20k, and I'm looking to purchase near January/February 20120 (bonus comes in January). I don't have a strong preference for color, although silver and blue would be my favorites. I'd prefer as low mileage as possible. I probably won't be racing or doing major modifications, although I did read through the MotoIQ projectand found it very interesting. I'd like to see how I like the car stock before getting into mods.

My questions that I'm hoping you can help with are:
1) Suggestions on where to purchase? Private vs. dealer? How far should I look?
2) How to check out a car? I'm not a mechanic. I can get around a car and do basic maintenance, but I don't trust myself to do a thorough review. I know that I should take it to a mechanic to review. Who would be a good mechanic, and how would I coordinate a review? If I'm looking at a car 100 miles away, how can I coordinate a mechanic check?
3) Suggestion for model year to look at? I was thinking 06-08, but don't really have an idea of pros/cons of the different years other than the change from AP1 to AP2.
4) Suggestion on ways to test drive or ride? I see that I just missed a meet, when's the next one?
5) Other resources that I should check? I've been reading independent reviews, projects, and forums here and s2000.com. I've liked everything I've read so far, but I still need to check an s2k out in person.
6) Suggested/favorite mods. I might be getting too far ahead of myself.
7) Insurance rates? how has insurance compared to other cars?
8) Anything else important that I should know?

Please let me know if I've missed anything else or if you have any questions for me.

Thanks for your help, and I'm looking forward to getting to know you!

jb
Old 08-10-2011, 12:02 PM

Hello JB

Wow you have a lot to ask. I don't know if anyone is going to have the knowledge or time to answer all your answers. The best advice i can provide you since you are pretty new to the scene is do your homework. This wonderful website contains all your answers you need to know. Trust me, there are others like yourself that have these same exact concerns. Just lurk around and read because that list you provided will guarantee grow a lot short and manageable for us to help you out. Thanks!

-Castro
Old 08-10-2011, 12:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JB03
Hi everyone! I'm JB, and I live near Rancho Bernardo. I don't have an s2k (yet). I've got a wife, two kids, and a 10 year old truck. I recently started looking at new sport sedans. However, my wife and I realized that it is really handy to have a truck, so I started looking at used 2 seat sport cars (s2k, miata, corvette, porshe, etc.) to use as my daily driver. The more I looked, the more I liked what I've been reading about the s2k. I finally decided to join a forum to actively seek advice in addition to reading all that I can about this car. I joined here because of the active San Diego group.

My budget is probably low $20k, and I'm looking to purchase near January/February 20120 (bonus comes in January). I don't have a strong preference for color, although silver and blue would be my favorites. I'd prefer as low mileage as possible. I probably won't be racing or doing major modifications, although I did read through the MotoIQ projectand found it very interesting. I'd like to see how I like the car stock before getting into mods.

1) Suggestions on where to purchase? Private vs. dealer? How far should I look?
2) How to check out a car? I'm not a mechanic. I can get around a car and do basic maintenance, but I don't trust myself to do a thorough review. I know that I should take it to a mechanic to review. Who would be a good mechanic, and how would I coordinate a review? If I'm looking at a car 100 miles away, how can I coordinate a mechanic check?
3) Suggestion for model year to look at? I was thinking 06-08, but don't really have an idea of pros/cons of the different years other than the change from AP1 to AP2.
4) Suggestion on ways to test drive or ride? I see that I just missed a meet, when's the next one?
5) Other resources that I should check? I've been reading independent reviews, projects, and forums here and s2000.com. I've liked everything I've read so far, but I still need to check an s2k out in person.
6) Suggested/favorite mods. I might be getting too far ahead of myself.
7) Insurance rates? how has insurance compared to other cars?
8) Anything else important that I should know?

Please let me know if I've missed anything else or if you have any questions for me.

Thanks for your help, and I'm looking forward to getting to know you!

jb
Not a bad intro at all. Very good questions. I will go down the line to answer them as best as I can and I am sure others will correct me and chime in where I am wrong.
1)Ideally a dealer, but honestly, you just want to make sure the car has been well maintained( scheduled maintenace, not too much mileage and stock!)
I went to Garden Grove for mine. I say stock because once the person before you mods it incorrectly, it becomes a repair, and not an upgrade. I know from experience with my S.
2)You can talk to Gavin or Keno to see what you can work out with them if you are deadset on purchasing a car but want to make sure it's not a lemon. A great test is the clutch test(go on steep hill pop it in 2nd or 3rd gear I believe and slam it). Take it over bumps, stop and go traffic. Turn everything on for 10 minutes. There is alot of tests, but again, Gavin or Keno could help out.
3)IMO, I prefer the AP1 over the Ap2 for the simple fact that it revs to 9K. But I believe the Ap2's have stability control. Honestly, they are pretty identical with the exception of a few changes done in suspension, tailights, headlights, RPM, and Stability control (correct me if I am wrong).
4)The next meet is Friday in Carlsbad Starbucks (https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/866...s-coffee-8-12/) or tonight at Ikea Mission Valley (https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/867.../page__st__575). As far as a test drive, Im sure someone can take you for a spin or even allow you to drive.
5)Other resources (S2KI, S2KCA) in my opinion are the best.
6)Leave it stock for now sir. LOL. For real.
7)Insurance will vary depending on your driving record. I pay 1g a year for my S.
8)Come to a meet and have some coffee, chill, discuss the car and get to know the crew.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:30 PM

1) Suggestions on where to purchase? Private vs. dealer? I like private dealers, stealerships mark up their price so much and theres never a hook up on taxes. I dont trust dealership maitinence or warranty work so there is no real reason to go through a dealership

2) How to check out a car? Carfax, let go of the wheel while braking coming to a stop to check for frame damage and alignment issues. Listen for engine knocks and hiccups in timing. Obviously look at the exterior and interior condition, a car that is properly maintained is usually kept clean and dent/scratch free. A garage kept car shows love, an adult owner can sometimes be some peace of mind.

3) Suggestion for model year to look at? 06+ is way nicer as far as daily driving. it can be argued that theyre just as "fast" as ap1s, but for a track car id take the ap1 for sure.

4) Suggestion on ways to test drive or ride? read 2.

5) Other resources that I should check? s2ki is the best forum for s2000s, arguably the most active car forum ive been apart of.

6) Suggested/favorite mods? Hardtop, coilovers, wheels, exhaust. upgraded speakers cuz the stock sucks dick.

7) Insurance rates? was cheaper than 350z, rx8, g35 when i got quoted.

we have one of the best communities in san diego, we are not just a car club we are friends. we go eat, drink, have game nights, go karting, movies all sorts of fun. I highly suggest making it out to a meet, we are very open to help and answer any questions you may have about owning an s2000. Personally i love the car, i have had 2 and have moved on but im sure ill own another s2k. ive seen people move up to new m3s and still come back to their little honda.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:23 PM

If you have a good driving record, you can sign up for Wawanesa insurance. Paid 1100 a year for the S...and this was when I was 22. Before I sold the S, I was paying 980 for coverage for a year (after good driver, mature driver, and loyalty discount)

And my deductible was 200/200
Old 08-10-2011, 09:29 PM

welcome to SD.
I looked for a about 5-6 months and waited for the exact year and color I wanted, and price. I drove up to LA to get mine from a private seller. I have AAA insurance and was able to schedule a machanic to inspect the vehicle up there for like $40 bucks i think. The car was Honda certified when the PO bought it a few months prior. That means he had all the paperwork and reciepts for everything, and it was still under the 40K drivetrain warranty. 05 with 34k miles for $17k after taxes.
Most people with AP1 will say buy that, and same for AP2. For 20k you can get a very low mile AP2, just be patient.
Any time you are down here and im free you are welcome to drive my car around. just PM me on here

good luck!
Old 08-12-2011, 10:41 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Great advice so far. Some I've already read and some is new, so thanks.

Looking forward to meeting some of you and seeing an s2k in person. I'll try to get out to a meet, but its hard with work and the family. If you see a confused guy getting out of a grey dakota quad cab and staring at your cars, say hi!

jb
Old 08-12-2011, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JB03
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Great advice so far. Some I've already read and some is new, so thanks.

Looking forward to meeting some of you and seeing an s2k in person. I'll try to get out to a meet, but its hard with work and the family. If you see a confused guy getting out of a grey dakota quad cab and staring at your cars, say hi!

jb
Come one by tonight if you can. Since you live in Rancho Bernardo, you arent too far from where we get together. At most it's a 20 minute drive.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by 02_s2k
Come one by tonight if you can. Since you live in Rancho Bernardo, you arent too far from where we get together. At most it's a 20 minute drive.
I'll come out tonight. I drive fast, but I think it will be closer to 35 minutes for me. I'll be in a Packer's shirt.

jb
Old 08-17-2011, 10:28 PM

20 k.
Buy a CR !

Quick Reply: Prospective San Diego owner introduction