San Diego S2000 Owners San Diego and Imperial County S2000 Owners Community meets, events and discussions.

Job Relocation - Need advice

Old 06-29-2012, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've eatin at urge, and its really good. But there all plenty of awesome burger places nearby. But im hooked on omami in the oc/LA area.

rancho Bernardo will be like a 20 min or so drive. Cool thing is you will always be against traffic.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:58 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

hopefully you find a place
Old 06-30-2012, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbon Blue
hopefully you find a place
Thanks! I've been doing research but hopefully I will get a chance to drive around to check out all the areas everyone has mentioned.
Also any good Mexican food? Seafood? Sushi? Orlando doesn't have a lot of good places compared to San Diego
Old 06-30-2012, 11:14 AM

places to eat will not be a problem here in SD. Great greek food places to eat, awesome indian food, mexican food everywhere, pho, and then theres the DT.LA jolla restaurants.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:10 PM

Thanks everyone for the help. I got an offer and am still deciding if I want to make the leap. Does anyone know the average amount of taxes taken out? Trying to figure out the budget if I were to move over here.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by nnkfws333
Thanks everyone for the help. I got an offer and am still deciding if I want to make the leap. Does anyone know the average amount of taxes taken out? Trying to figure out the budget if I were to move over here.
You talking sales tax or annual tax? Sales tax in parts of San Diego is 7.75%. In other parts of San Diego, it can be (correct me if I am mistaken)8.75%.

Annual taxes completely depend on your W2 and how you file. But it isn't bad. Good luck with your decision. I got orders to San Diego, from New York, LOL. Everyone who visits tells me "it's expensive". Like any major city, it has it's pros and cons, but for me, San Diego, beat New York by leaps and bounds in every aspect. That's why I stayed when I got out of the service instead of going back to New York. Good luck with your choice, as I am certain this will be discussed with your spouse.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:49 PM
bdo

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats!!

Taxes? You're coming to CA from FL; Leave your cars and your guns, but bring your money! ... Sorry, couldn't resist. But more seriously, the state tax rate is probably higher by a couple percent than FL. You could Google the exact rates. Also plan on misc items like car registration & insurance, gas, probably even food, etc etc, being more expensive here in CA, but probably not by enough to make or break your budget.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:08 PM

Thanks everyone! I found a great website called www.paycheckcity.com that helped me figure out tax info. Now I think my budget is $1500-$1800 for a 2 bedroom in a safe area. I talked with some folks and they mentioned 4S Ranch, Rancho Pesnasquitos, Carmel Valley, and Rancho Bernardo. What about Mira Mesa, Oceanside, San Marcos, Escondido, Poway, and Miramar? It seems like Oceanside and San Marcos might be too far. I know I can't afford the La Jolla area at the moment. I will be working in the Rancho Bernardo area and don't really want to drive no more then 15 min to work. I'm not looking for anything super fancy since it's just a temporary living situation for a year until both my wife and I settle in.

Thanks everyone for the help! I know it's annoying getting asked these questions but it really makes a difference for myself and wife.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:03 PM

Thanks everyone! I found a great website called www.paycheckcity.com that helped me figure out tax info. Now I think my budget is $1500-$1800 for a 2 bedroom in a safe area. I talked with some folks and they mentioned 4S Ranch, Rancho Pesnasquitos, Carmel Valley, and Rancho Bernardo. What about Mira Mesa, Oceanside, San Marcos, Escondido, Poway, and Miramar? It seems like Oceanside and San Marcos might be too far. I know I can't afford the La Jolla area at the moment. I will be working in the Rancho Bernardo area and don't really want to drive no more then 15 min to work. I'm not looking for anything super fancy since it's just a temporary living situation for a year until both my wife and I settle in.

Thanks everyone for the help! I know it's annoying getting asked these questions but it really makes a difference for myself and wife.
I lived in Mira Mesa for 5 years, away from the 15 North/SOuth and the 163 North/South. I lived 1 mile from MCAS Miramar in both places. However, since my time there, I have been noticing more and more college KIDS getting together renting apartments. A nice couple with kids lived next door to me for 2 years, and my last year in the area, my car got broken into, my Honda sign was stolen, and we had a SEVERE ant problem the whole time. My advice....stay away from Mira Mesa. When I moved to Rancho Pq area, I bombmed my place beforehand. NOT A SINGLE ANT OR ROACH going on 2 years. And my auto insurance went down because I moved to this area. Not saying all of Mira Mesa is like that, but it means you have to move closer to the 805 or further east of the 15 which means a longer and tougher commute. For 1500-1800 you could MAYBE find a place with your own garage in this area and it Ranco Bernardo, Rancho PQ, Escondido, or even Poway. San Marcos is about 15-20 min from Ranco Pq area, so that may interest you. However, each area does have it's bad areas. Rancho Pq has a section of homes funded by section 8, and it gets calls from the cops 1-2x a week. But go 3-5 miles east, and you are in Snob zone. See. lol. WOw. I talked too much. I think I am done.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:35 AM

I lived in San Marcos for since 2000 and never moved to anyplace else. This maybe a grandpa thing to say but i notice the further away from DT SD, the more less hectic it is. I love my lifestyle in SM and couldn't imagine living any place in SD county.

Oceanside, is ok but over populated since it is a Marine community and also some places around there are run down. In my opinion, there beach is the less attractive then any of the beaches I have visited in SD.

Escondido to me is run down as well. The cost of living is one of the cheapest in North County bu there is a reason for that. The places away from the heart of Esco is great but away from all the good stuff. I see Esco as a Hispanic city.

IMO Carlsbad is the best cities in North County.

Quick Reply: Job Relocation - Need advice