San Diego S2000 Owners San Diego and Imperial County S2000 Owners Community meets, events and discussions.

I will quit SMOKING.

Old 09-15-2005, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BUNCH OF SELL OUTS!!

haha nah smoking is definitely bad, and i've also been smoking for some time now almost 10 years started at 17 now 24. yeah going up stairs is a b***h playing basketball iss definitely out of the question, 4 or 5 bucks a pack is freakin ridiculous. I wish i could quit but i cant. i just dont have what it takes i respec you liem for quitting just like that you're the better man cause i couldnt do it, even if it does kill me there are many other things that do too and yeah its a BS excuse but an honest one at that. my dad has cancer never lit a cigarrette once in his life my mom doesnt smoke either so i dont know where i got the habbit. also the fact that i'm at the club every weekend getting drunk and a cold beer and a cigarrette go hand in hand or a martini or a whiskey mmmmmmmm whiskey i love whiskey its harsh but only the first two or three drinks the rest is great well ok i'm out of line now the point is its a great thing for you to stop smoking i would if I could, i'll join you someday just hope its not too late. cheers.
I did not write this... If I find out who's on my account posting i'm slapping the shit out of you. Shit aint funny.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:19 AM

to borrow a phrase from one of many Rob Schneider movies.. "YOU CAN DO IT"...
goodluck Liem. We are all supporting your wise decision.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:06 PM

Yo Liem,

Today, I decided to quit too. Started when I was 18, now 28 . . . 10 years. Most of the time I smoked for the party scene and boredom of it. In the past 3 months I got layed off and I lost pretty much all my closest friends in San Diego.. Today, my last closest friend is leaving San Diego.

So after five years of living here, I find myself in the same situation when I was 23 . . . no friends, a new job, and nothing to do.

But, to be honest, I am looking at this as a fresh start. And I told my buddy that when he leaves, so will the smoking.

I have 2 cigs left, probably smoke one on the way to his apartment, the last one with him right before he leaves.

So, as much as quitting is a tough road, I just want you to know that I'm about to do the same thing as of 09-15-05.

Also, thanks to all you S2K guys, I've been meeting a ot of new people. And if it was not for that, I'd probably be a lonely and miserable S.O.B. right now.

Peace out and good luck Liem.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:37 PM

Aww... it's all warm and fuzzy down here in the SD forum

to all who are trying to quit, I applaud your efforts! Looks like you've got a bunch of people on this board who are going to make sure you hold fast to your commitment! Be thankful for that, anything tough is better with friends behind you.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Way to go man! I've been at it for two weeks now. Can't say I haven't cheated but I'm truly tired of it so cheating has so far not sent me into relapse.
You can be in shape and smoke though, I'm the prime example, I work out 5 times a week do martial arts and surf every weekend. Being in shape really doesn't equate to being healthy though... I've been smoking for 18 years (a pack a day for the twelve years in the middle of those) and it's really time to quit before it catches up to me.

If you need any moral support feel free to PM me.

Good luck.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by adidas77,Sep 15 2005, 12:06 PM
Yo Liem,

Today, I decided to quit too. Started when I was 18, now 28 . . . 10 years. Most of the time I smoked for the party scene and boredom of it. In the past 3 months I got layed off and I lost pretty much all my closest friends in San Diego.. Today, my last closest friend is leaving San Diego.

So after five years of living here, I find myself in the same situation when I was 23 . . . no friends, a new job, and nothing to do.

But, to be honest, I am looking at this as a fresh start. And I told my buddy that when he leaves, so will the smoking.

I have 2 cigs left, probably smoke one on the way to his apartment, the last one with him right before he leaves.

So, as much as quitting is a tough road, I just want you to know that I'm about to do the same thing as of 09-15-05.

Also, thanks to all you S2K guys, I've been meeting a ot of new people. And if it was not for that, I'd probably be a lonely and miserable S.O.B. right now.

Peace out and good luck Liem.
Hey, no doubt man.

I too wish you the best of luck on trying to kick the addiction. I figured once I get to the 1 smokeless month mark, it should be all down hill from there.

By 5:00 pm everyday, I should have smoked around 10 cigarettes already. I've had not 1.

This morning I told Kim I will seriously quit smoking for the rest of my life. She gave me a kiss and told me she was proud of me and that she loved me. I told her the reason I'm doing this is because I too, love myself.

Old 09-15-2005, 02:55 PM

Whoever is posting on my account is going to get the shit beat out of them if I find out before they confess.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Shift_S2K,Sep 15 2005, 01:54 PM
Way to go man! I've been at it for two weeks now. Can't say I haven't cheated but I'm truly tired of it so cheating has so far not sent me into relapse.
You can be in shape and smoke though, I'm the prime example, I work out 5 times a week do martial arts and surf every weekend. Being in shape really doesn't equate to being healthy though... I've been smoking for 18 years (a pack a day for the twelve years in the middle of those) and it's really time to quit before it catches up to me.

If you need any moral support feel free to PM me.

Good luck.
Thanks man.

I give you credit for your thoughts and cutting down. I also wish you the best of luck and thanks for the moral support.

Old 09-15-2005, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Liemoanh,Sep 15 2005, 03:05 PM
Thanks man.

I give you credit for your thoughts and cutting down. I also wish you the best of luck and thanks for the moral support.
Liem, CONGRATULATIONS!!

Dude, anything you need to help out, let me know. I'll buy you Boba!

Before I say this, I just want to say that I have nothing against smokers, since I understand that most smokers I know NOW wish they weren't smokers. I know that it's one of the most difficult things to do when you quit, and then, to stay off cigarettes. I wish the best for you.

But anyways, maybe this will give you something to think about.

My father joined the Navy at 16 years old, right after WWII. Right from the beginning, he stood out as a great sailor. Shortly after he got involved with the Navy, he became a frogman. He trained other sailors and even worked with the Navy to develop the diving tables that are still used today (although it's been updated). Sometime after this, he became involved with developing an elite group of divers that remained top secret for many years. He developed and trained these divers for many years. They ultimately became the SEALS. While doing this, he set two world records in swimming and in diving and was asked to be in the Olympics, but the Navy wouldn't let him go. Around this time, Korea was happening and besides training other SEALS, he was in Korea fighting for our nation. Years later, he also went to Vietnam, doing the same thing involving SEALS and other special operations. Being 6'4", it was unusual to see, but he spoke Vietnamese very well for a white guy. He was in and out of Vietnam from 1965 to 1973.

All this said, it's pretty clear that he was in shape. Even growing up with my dad at age 50, he could out swim and out run many of the current divers in the Navy (although not SEALS at this point). At age 50, he had a stroke because he smoked. A month later, he had a 2nd stroke, which put him into a coma. I was 15 years old at the time.

He stayed in a coma, slowly progressing, but never coming out of a coma, until I was 20. My family had some pretty good money when I was growing up, but 5 years of a coma pretty much did away with all of that. Although we didn't lose our house, it took everything my mom had and some refinancing to barely keep it, and it was almost paid off at the time. At 15 years old, we (the kids) were pretty much on our own, because if my mom wasn't working, she was at the hospital looking out for my dad.

You can work out, and be in good shape even when you smoke. The majority of us, only use a fraction of our lungs anyways. But it'll catch up to you, it always has. Now I know there are people that are very elderly who have smoked all their lives, but they're very few and far between. I don't normally tell anybody about what I just wrote, but hey, if it helps, I got your back.

So for Liem, Joe, and everyone that wants to quit, I think that's kickass. I want you guys to know that I'm being you all the way and that regardless what happens, the "attempt" means a lot.

Take care,

Seth
Old 09-15-2005, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by HFS S2K,Sep 14 2005, 10:37 PM
Liem,
I understand where you are coming from. I have been thinking about quiting myself for some time now. Camille (my girl) hates it when I smoke and when we hang out (which is rare because of her school) I don't smoke the whole entire day. At the end of it I always ask myself should I light that cig or start the count of not smoking. I always end up giving in saying f**k it. I mean the things that bug me about it is I have tons of colonge and I never get to use it because it's completly pointless to use them. I like to dress nice and also smell nice and it kills it you know. I don't so much think it's embarassing because I do what I want to do and don't care what others think but I think it's more of a growing older thing and letting bad old habits go (for me that is).

I started smoking because of what happened to me when I was younger (personal) and a friend suggested to start smoking. I use to solve my anger problems that were caused by what happend by going out and getting in trouble fights etc. She (yes she) said that smoking calms her in situations where she is stressed or mad etc. Don't get me wrong I started smoking as my own decision. So i tried it, that was at the age of 15. I have not been smoking for that long but the fire in me has burned itself out. I really don't get anything out of lighting a cig anymore. I also use to be skinny as hell I was a few months away from being pretty toned then I started to smoking (I actually quit for 7 months) and got lazy and it was down hill from there.

Liem I'm in this with you bro. It's time and the time is now. I'm willing to support you in this as much as I can. Today marks the last day I smoke, or atleast try but I will give it my hardest try ever. We all have got it in us and we can do this if we just put both feet foward and invest ourselves. Support one another. Lets do this.

Kind regards,
Joe
Hop on the wagon bro. It's going to be a long road with alot of bumps on the way but eventually, well get there together.

Quick Reply: I will quit SMOKING.