San Diego S2000 Owners San Diego and Imperial County S2000 Owners Community meets, events and discussions.

Has anyone done an interview over the phone?

Old 07-22-2008, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone done an interview over the phone?

been wanting to work for USE credit union as a PC Network Technician for a while now, they finally called me today and want a phone interview tomorrow at 3:30PM. I was wondering if anyone done a phone interview before and what kind of questions do they usually ask you? I need to be prepare and write down stuff, so i don't stumple answering it tomorrow. Do they ask technical questions??
Old 07-22-2008, 04:02 PM

I see it like this. It can a good thing or bad thing. They cannot judge you by appearance. I have interviewed many people. They come in looking like they came from the gym. Not ironed cloths. Nails not cut. I expect you to wear a tie. So I would pretty much judge you on your apperance. It tells alot about the individual.

Now with the phone interview. Please be confident. Trust me. You can sense that over the phone. All you can do is give your best answer but always keep your confidence up. Don't go in there stressing what they will ask. Think that they need you. So give them what they want to hear.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:32 PM

I've done many phone interviews and have been on both ends, interviewer and interviewee. It is okay to be nervous but whatever you do, DO NOT BS. One of my personal pet peeves is someone who wastes both your/my time trying to BS their way into a job then only to get weeded out on the 2nd in-person hands-on interview. Save yourself the embarassment.

Be confident in your abilities and what you already know but know when to say "I don't know". Know that some of the questions are "trick" questions with no correct answer but are used to evaluate your mindset and how you analyze certain situations. The first phone interview might be only from HR or the administrative side. If they're really straight to the point, they might also hammer you with some technical questions regarding "skills" you put on your resume. Once you clear that and determine you could be a fit, depending on the company, you will probably get a 2nd or 3rd interview which could include a group interview thrown in. If you get a group interview, be in control and don't feel intimidated. Focus on the person who is asking the question, not the entire group.

Good luck.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:56 PM

thx, yeh the first interview will be from the HR department
Old 07-22-2008, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by SDSILVERM3,Jul 22 2008, 04:32 PM
I've done many phone interviews and have been on both ends, interviewer and interviewee. It is okay to be nervous but whatever you do, DO NOT BS. One of my personal pet peeves is someone who wastes both your/my time trying to BS their way into a job then only to get weeded out on the 2nd in-person hands-on interview. Save yourself the embarassment.

Be confident in your abilities and what you already know but know when to say "I don't know". Know that some of the questions are "trick" questions with no correct answer but are used to evaluate your mindset and how you analyze certain situations. The first phone interview might be only from HR or the administrative side. If they're really straight to the point, they might also hammer you with some technical questions regarding "skills" you put on your resume. Once you clear that and determine you could be a fit, depending on the company, you will probably get a 2nd or 3rd interview which could include a group interview thrown in. If you get a group interview, be in control and don't feel intimidated. Focus on the person who is asking the question, not the entire group.

Good luck.
I agree with much of what was said. One thing I did for phone interviews was write down a bunch of questions and answer them truthfully. I took those notes with me and kinda rehashed them during the interview. You're going to get a bunch of basic questions:

1) why should we hire you?
2) tell me about you (talk about your experiences, etc)
3) Tell me about a time you failed (talk about your failure, then elaborate on how you turned it into a positive and succeed from there)
4) I have a situation.. it goes like this.. how would you have handled it?
5) What are you strengths?
6) What are your weaknesses? (talk about them, then give examples how you've overcome them)
7) Tell me about the people you work with. Are you a team player? (never EVER tell them your co-workers suck. THis just tells the interviewer you're not a team player)

The list goes on, but this should get you started...
Old 07-22-2008, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by SDSILVERM3,Jul 22 2008, 04:32 PM
Be confident in your abilities and what you already know but know when to say "I don't know".
But when you say, "I don't know" follow it up with, but it's something I would be willing to research, or but it's something I would be willing to learn about.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:09 PM
Banned

Ian works for USE IT...

Old 07-23-2008, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by PeterBinSDs2k,Jul 22 2008, 11:09 PM
Ian works for USE IT...
anyone know his sn or aim?
Old 07-23-2008, 01:21 PM
Banned

try SD_FLIP

Old 07-25-2008, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by PeterBinSDs2k,Jul 23 2008, 01:21 PM
try SD_FLIP
thx but unfortunately i didn't "meet their qualifications". oh well i got couple more interview for other companies.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done an interview over the phone?