San Diego S2000 Owners San Diego and Imperial County S2000 Owners Community meets, events and discussions.

Greddy Turbo Kit w/ Emanage

Old 10-10-2012, 09:28 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by 02_s2k
Originally Posted by 02_s2k' timestamp='1349213628' post='22053900
Although Greddy is a well known company, for some reason, the welds on their Intake dont hold up very well with our cars. Ive known other owners with Infiniti's that have used it with success and no problems. Also, I know a guy on the 'other' forum, and he tracks his car regularly with this kit. His name is speedracer, and he has rebuilt the turbo I believe 2x now, and asked Pang from PFAB to make him a custom Intake as the Greedy Intake due to the welds cracking on it on more than 2 occasions. Not bashing Greddy at all, just saying, if you are concerned about CARB legality and what not, then I believe Comptech makes a kit that is a Supercharger. But as everyone else has said, there are better options for 6K.

Originally Posted by Lionel Hutz
Originally Posted by Rubn1out4GudLuk' timestamp='1349276776' post='22055598
Curious as to why folks are recommending custom/big-turbo kits to somebody with a car in SoCal. What is the solution to get around smog ever 2 years? Smog shop wouldn't even pass my 99% stock car without the proper CARB sticker on the K&N intake.

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum' timestamp='1349911568' post='22073717
Originally Posted by Lionel Hutz
[quote name='Rubn1out4GudLuk' timestamp='1349276776' post='22055598']
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/794...ged-turbo-kit/
Curious as to why folks are recommending custom/big-turbo kits to somebody with a car in SoCal. What is the solution to get around smog ever 2 years? Smog shop wouldn't even pass my 99% stock car without the proper CARB sticker on the K&N intake.
yes you caught on! the reason is because s2ki is no different from any other forum, even if they have no experience with the kit, it will be bashed for making low HP. the HKS s/c kit is currently going through the same criticism right now.

only way to pass non carb parts in CA are to take them off come smog time or to smog illegally by paying a crooked smog tech to pass the car with the parts still on it. Both a hassle and costly in the long run. But some people are willing to do this!

if you want CARB legal FI, only options are vortech/comptech for SC or greddy for turbo. personally, if i were to ever go FI again, i'd love to try out a vortech or comptech kit and have no worries when the cops roll around...that's just me though.
It's so stressful when you are rolling around with an illegal engine or FI kit that can't be easily removed. An illegal intake isn't much, it's so easy to swap out when you have to smog or if you get a ticket, but engines and FI kits are such a hassle to remove.
I agree. Greddy is not a bad company. I had a hard on for their CARB legal kit for a LONG time. However, when I did further investigating, the welds on the Greddy Intake Manifold are notorious for cracking very easily. The last thing I wanted was a constant repair. This is why recommended the Vortech/Comptech route since I believe they are the only company aside from Greddy that is CARB legal. I dont know if OP was aware on intake manifold issues and greddy's turbo issues. As far as HP and whether to choose Greddy or no, it's up to OP as well. I just put my two cents based off experience from others and lots of reading. Again, Not bashing Greddy, but for some reason their boost package have certain specific issues with our cars. Not all are of their kits are that way, but many are unfortunately. Thats why I recommended the Supercharger CARB legal Vortech/Comptech route.
[/quote]

yes the manifold is the weak point of the kit unfortunately (exhaust, not intake), but it's a very solid kit otherwise. It just get's a lot of flack because it doesn't make over 400whp. I wouldn't worry about the turbo needing rebuilding constantly either, especially for daily driving. if the owner uses the proper oil and maintains it in the correct intervals, then it will last a long time. As you said, the PFAB manifold is a direct replacement for the greddy manifold and most normal smog techs probably won't notice the manifold change (a state Ref would notice for sure though).

overall, it gets a bad rap for the manifold (deserved) and the emanage, but if the emanage is tuned properly, it is more than enough to handle 300-350whp. also, it's what allows the kit to be street legal. Other than that, i think it's a great kit for the car, especially for street/daily use since it's a smaller turbo that is perfect for the day to day drive. I laugh when people constantly shoot down the greddy kit and tell people to get 400+ whp kits....who uses that much HP on the daily? you'd need to hit over 100mph daily to get the benefit of a larger turbo. Anyhow, although i obviously think the greddy kit is a solid kit, i'd like to try a S/C if i could, since i love high revving honda engines and an S/C would keep the same power/torque delivery curves, just higher. A turbo S2k (torquey) almost feels unnatural! haha
Old 10-25-2012, 05:34 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

To answer the op's? Make the trip to church's. Its 425 flat rate for e-manage.

Side note I hate coming into a thread where someone asks an honest squestion and the following posts are comments that are trying to tell the op to do something different
Old 10-25-2012, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate when I read someones post and it gives me morning wood because of their avatar What up EJ.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:54 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Haha morning wood is a good thing tho! What up buddy
Old 10-26-2012, 01:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jack_in_the_Box
To answer the op's? Make the trip to church's. Its 425 flat rate for e-manage.

Side note I hate coming into a thread where someone asks an honest squestion and the following posts are comments that are trying to tell the op to do something different

On another side note dont go to church and go to Dardan instead. Church doesnt really a give f@#k about your car nor if it blows up, not saying he is a bad tuner I have used him on multiple occasions. He has gotten to big for his own good and is disconnected from his customers and is more focused on the cars that race for him or he sponsors. Dardan is just as knowledgeable and actually cares about the product he puts out. I recomend him any day over church, plus he is local. Church is like 2 hours away almost... Plus if there is a problem Dardan can get to your car a lot sooner than church and you dont have to drive a gozillion miles on a f@#ked up tune to get to him, if anything you can send the map that you data logged and he could fix it through email...just my .02
Old 11-01-2012, 11:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aln1115
I'm thinking of gettting a Greddy Turbo kit for my AP1. Is there anyone in SD that can dynotune the emanage? What kind of numbers am I looking at (HP & torq) once I slap the kit on and get a good tune? I'll be running a full 3" exhaust.
Just go to Dardan and be done my friend. He works at the dyno so no worries on finding one. I have known Shawn Church since 2003. Used to be good, but now doesn't give a shit I guess.