S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Zymol Over Zaino

Old 10-17-2002, 03:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zymol Over Zaino

Has anyone ever used Zymol wax over Zaino polish so that the
Zymol protects the Zaino? If so, how many applications of Zaino
before applying the Zymol? Good idea or bad idea? Any comments
appreciated.
Old 10-17-2002, 04:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've used s100 over five coats of z2 and z5.. looks pretty good BUT you must remove all the wax before you re-apply Z...
Old 10-17-2002, 05:19 AM

I assume a wash with Dawn is all that is required to remove the wax?
Old 10-17-2002, 07:13 AM

This is not recommended and is not how Zaino was designed, it would be like putting 4 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic oil in your engine and putting one quart of dino oil in with it. Zaino was designed to be 99.9% clear, putting carnauba wax on top of a synthetic will dull it and oil up the surface. Also, there are many kinds of Zymol, if you use the Zymol sold at WalMart, it is an abrasive polish that will remove the Zaino anyway. The only thing you to the Zaino with is the Z-6 spray.
Old 10-17-2002, 09:02 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kevin Overall
[B]This is not recommended and is not how Zaino was designed,
Old 10-17-2002, 09:18 AM

It sounds a great deal like the "tubes vs transistors" debates that go on in high-end audio. Is the "warmth" attributed to tube equipment a result of increased odd-harmonic distortion components, that just happen to be pleasant to the ear? Is the "sterile" sound of transistor equipment an attribute of it more accurately reproducing the original, producing fewer of the odd-harmonics, or something similar?

Likewise, is the "warmth" of a carnuba wax attributable to it adding color of its own, particularly over time? Is the "sterile" look of Zaino (or other synthetics) a reflection (so to speak) of its lack of added color or tint?

I suspect, just like there continues to be debate on tubes/transistors, there will always be debate on wax/synthetic. People will argue over one looking better than the other, and we'll always end up with "use what you like."

On the other hand, nobody in their right mind will debate the longetivity of digital music mediums (CD/MP3/DVD-Audio/SACD/Digital Tape) versus analog (vinyl, cassette, 8-track, AM/FM radio).

In much the same way, there's not going to be much debate about whether or not a non-wax product like Zaino will last longer (in normal exposure to the elements) than a traditional wax. There, the debate will be (as it is in audio) the price of synthetic products, and whether or not the longetivity is important enough to you to outweigh the economic (measurable) or perceived (reflectivity/shine) benefits of wax.

My $.02,

Tim
Old 10-17-2002, 09:24 AM

With the above said, I'd never dream of putting wax over Zaino. I'd either use wax all the way, or Zaino. To me, it makes as much sense as mixing Dino oil with synthetic... why put expensive synthetic in your engine if you're going to dilute its well-documented properties with regular oil?

Maybe that's just me...

Tim
Old 10-17-2002, 09:38 AM

I also like to use all one thing, I got tired of the ping ponging use of different stuff years ago. You have to remember why Sal invented his product, he is a custom auto painter by trade, he wanted a product that will make paint look as it was freshly painted, not oiled up or discolored in any way. He told me that he wanted Zaino to look to the naked eye the same way a car looks right after you roll it out of the paint booth, no better, no worse.

Sal also wanted a synthetic product that stands up to heat and does not degrade in the sun and on very hot surface temps.

Zaino bonds to the paint where as waxes for the most part "lay" on the paint.

TimTheFoolMan, do you know Kevin Villier that lives in Louisville? Kevin V stocks Zaino at his house for others to buy locally.
Old 10-17-2002, 09:46 AM

Kevin's my "Zaino guy" in town. His F-Body looks AWESOME! I think he's got about 30 coats on it at the moment.

(It sounds pretty hairy too...)

Tim
Old 10-17-2002, 10:06 AM

Originally posted by TimTheFoolMan
Kevin's my "Zaino guy" in town. His F-Body looks AWESOME! I think he's got about 30 coats on it at the moment.

(It sounds pretty hairy too...)

Tim

Do you ever get the Charisma towels he has, because if you do, I make those for him.

Quick Reply: Zymol Over Zaino