S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Zymol does it again

Old 09-20-2005, 06:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000craze,Sep 20 2005, 03:00 AM
how does zymol compare to zaino? i have an 04' that needs a good waxing. i see a lot of swirls and the paint is not as brillant as when i first brought it home.
If your problem is swirls and loss of brilliance in the paint just a wax (Zymol) or a polymer sealant (Zaino) alone will not resolve your problem. I've never had swirls myself, but from reading other discussions on this board it sounds like the best way to remove them is with a Porter Cable orbital polisher using various pads with a swirl remover then a glaze and then finishing up with a wax or polymer. Do a search for a string involving swirl removal or check http://www.properautocare.com/ for step-by-step instructions along with product recommendations.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by MikeyC,Sep 20 2005, 06:15 AM
If your problem is swirls and loss of brilliance in the paint just a wax (Zymol) or a polymer sealant (Zaino) alone will not resolve your problem.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:47 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

See my thread for how to bring that baby back to life Then just substitute your preferred Zymol wax for the P21S in that process and ba-dam, brilliant shine!
Old 09-21-2005, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by animeS2K,Sep 20 2005, 04:47 PM
See my thread for how to bring that baby back to life Then just substitute your preferred Zymol wax for the P21S in that process and ba-dam, brilliant shine!
I just looked at his thread and the car he worked on looks great. I would wager that a car protected by a coat of polymer covered with a coat of Zymol would look awesome.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:58 AM

my car is no where near as bad as the car he worked on. i need to buy that stuff.
thanks
Old 09-21-2005, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Ubetit,Sep 15 2005, 01:00 PM
Zymol doesn't really make any prep work products.
They don't?? What about HD-Cleanse and the Lehm Clay? What else are you looking for?
Old 09-21-2005, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Vrm Vrm,Sep 21 2005, 03:16 PM
They don't?? What about HD-Cleanse and the Lehm Clay? What else are you looking for?
I think the point that Ubetit was trying to get across (which I eventually agreed with) is that Zymol does not make products which necessarilly restore a car's finish if it is severely damaged. HD-cleanse removes oxidized paint and old wax, but does not do a good job on scratches or serious swirls as it has no abrasives. Lehm clay on the other hand is as good as anyone else's clay, but clay basically will only remove surface contaminants like road tar, sap, brake dust, etc. So if you tried to restore a car like the one animeS2K worked on (see his thread), you would not get as good results. However if you're starting with a car in decent shape meaning no swirls or scratches (like a new car or a freshly painted one), I believe you can't beat Zymol for the results you would get.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:23 PM
Former Moderator

A mild chemical paint cleaner and a claybar won't take you past light surface contaminants.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:56 PM

[QUOTE=MikeyC,Sep 21 2005, 06:57 PM]I think the point that Ubetit was trying to get across (which I eventually agreed with) is that Zymol does not make products which necessarilly restore a car's finish if it is severely damaged.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Vrm Vrm,Sep 21 2005, 04:56 PM
Agreed that they don't have any products for removing severe blemishes or swirls.

Funny, Zymol is getting a lot of attention in this forum, but S2K owners are suprisingly more educated than AudiWorld
Wow! The people on Audiworld are morons. I used to have a TT. I'm glad I sold it now so I don't have to associate with those people.

I've been trying to stir up some Zymol conversation around here. It seems most of the people around here prefer Zaino products topped with a wax. I'm sure Zaino is great, but I'm a big believer in using the least aggressive method necessary. A lot of other product lines use abrasives in their cleaners, whereas HD-Cleanse has no abrasives. So, I use HD-Cleanse. I see no reason to scrape off clear coat unnecessarilly. Every time I read about some guy on this board wet sanding the whole front end of his car because he is trying to level some rock chip touch ups he did I cringe. Also, I feel that Zymol waxes offer great protection and enhance the shine of my car. I find claying and using HD-Cleanse once or twice a year and then waxing every month or two keeps my car looking better than new. Of course my car has no swirls or scratches, because I bought it new. So, I have no need for abrasive products.

Quick Reply: Zymol does it again