S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Zymol does it again

Old 09-15-2005, 07:21 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Newsflash, there are about 20 different zymol formulas from the blue crap you can buy for 12 bucks at walmart which his basically turtle wax to some 1000 dollar a jar special stuff that Rolls Royce dealerships use. I can bet you some money that none of the stuff that won the contest are off the shelf.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

indeed, nice and wet
Old 09-15-2005, 08:59 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

MikeyC - has your car been hit on the passenger side at any time? The paint seems to be lighter from the door back (notice the difference on the bottom edge of the car)...
Old 09-15-2005, 10:00 AM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyC,Aug 31 2005, 09:37 PM
I'm also sure all the prep work was done with Zymol products.
Zymol doesn't really make any prep work products.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Sep 15 2005, 08:59 AM
MikeyC - has your car been hit on the passenger side at any time? The paint seems to be lighter from the door back (notice the difference on the bottom edge of the car)...
I think that is just due to reflections of a rock wall I'm standing on and the angle of the sun which is causing the paint to look different hues.

OK. Here's the big question. Why are there so many people who are anti-Zymol. Yes, the blue stuff in your local auto parts store is made by Turtle Wax. Yes, the lower end stuff (which is also blue) is not as good as the "estate glazes." Yes, Zymol is damn expensive. Yes, the Pebble Beach winners have special waxes formulated for them (some of which are now for sale and if you want them to make you your own wax they will for the right price). So, what? Are you telling me a C-class Mercedes is as good as an S-class? It sounds like everyone is hating on Zymol because it's expensive. I've been using it for years and it's always done a great job for me that's all I can say.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:18 PM
Former Moderator

I don't think I'm hating on Zymol. I'm just trying to keep the purpose of their estate glazes in perspective. They are designed for making show cars look wet in competition. They do this by using oils. Take a look at the contents of their most expensive wax.
-----------------------
Contains White Carnauba Sap/Wax, Montan Evergreen Oil, Sunflower Oil, Cantaloupe Oil, Coconut Oil, Honeydew Extract, Propolis (derived from Bees), Cetyl Esters, Cetyl Cocoamide (derived from coconut oil).
---------------
5 different types of oils make the finish look great for a day or two until those light oils evaporate and then you are left with plain ol' carnauba. Btw, there is no natural white carnauba. It is all yellow. Some are lighter shades of yellow but they are bleached or dyed to make the "magical" white carnauba that companies pitch.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:23 AM

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Zymol, I've been a loyal user since 1992.

If I care about the car I will use Zymol on it and nothing else. I'll even do the killer bi-annual wax removal with the HD-Cleanse, which can be an all day affair if the car is big.

Hubby now uses Zymol on his beloved 93 RX-7 which got a $7K show-quality paint job last year. I just bought Zymol Japon for my S2K ($42).

Washing takes less than five minutes, the water runs off immediately. Monthly waxing doesn't take long either, because you do not let the wax dry -- it's on for maybe one minute max depending on the humidity level.

Cheers,
Diane
Old 09-16-2005, 05:55 AM

Sorry about that. I guess I was getting a little defensive. I agree Zymol waxes are for paint protection only and that the oils in the waxes add extra shine. Waxes of any brand will not remove swirls or scratches. Also, Zymol offers limited paint prep products. HD-Cleanse is really the only thing and it's pretty much just good for removing old wax and oxidized paint as it contains no abrasives. However, if your paint has no defects using these products will keep them that way. If your paint has swirls, scratches, or other defects you will have to use a product from another company to remove them.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by f1_fanz,Sep 16 2005, 03:23 AM
Hubby now uses Zymol on his beloved 93 RX-7 which got a $7K show-quality paint job last year. I just bought Zymol Japon for my S2K ($42).
Diane,

What Zymol wax does your husband use on his RX-7? I saw that you have used the Japon, but I'm curious if you've used any others.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:54 AM

He's been using Zymol Creame, after only using a glaze for the first 6 months after painting. It's a lighter formula than Japon, which is fine because of the multiple layers of clearcoat plus it's always garaged plus it's not driven regularly.

I could use the Creame for the silver paint but Japon is thicker to compensate for the supposedly "thinner" Japanese paint. My car is also garaged but is a daily driver.

Cheers,
Diane

Quick Reply: Zymol does it again