S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Zaino, what am I doing wrong?

Old 02-19-2004, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zaino, what am I doing wrong?

sorry but I am a newbie at this. I just found out about this website from a friend a couple of days ago, but I've been an owner of an 03 silverstone since December. Anyways, I got myself some Zainos last week and put them into use today. I did exactly like what the instruction said, wash with dawn and then let the car dry and then apply Z1 with Z2 on top of it, then wait about 1 hour and then buff it off with a 100% cotton towel. I used a coat of Z5 (didn't really need it, my car does not have any swirl marks). I let it sit for another 30 minutes and then wipe it off. Last, I spray the entire car with Z6, starting with a small area at a time and tried not to let it dry. By the time I am done, it took almost 4 hours. I got a total of 2 coats of Z2 and Z5 and Z6. The car still does not look that much glossier. Not the type of mirror-look that I was looking for. My question is how many coats of Z2 or 5 or 6 do I have to apply in order to achieve the mirror-look? Should I wash my car each time before adding Zaino, or is it ok to just apply them at any time? Sorry for the long post.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, zaino was always a process.. the more layers the wetter looking it gets.. it's not a one time "bling bling" deal..

but more to the point, did you ensure to apply very thin coat, almost transparent like ? I've seen many guys apply it too thick and then try to wipe it off , including the residue with z6.. doesn't happen..

could be a residue problem ?

can you explain more of your process in greater detail and maybe we can help you better ?
Old 02-19-2004, 10:48 PM

Where's the ZFX in there? Don't apply Zaino without it. It's just too much time. With ZFX it cures very quickly. In my experience putting in the maximum drops of ZFX (I think it's 5) into the mix makes the polish easiest to take off. I don't really know what to say about the shine, but with my first time my car looked dripping wet with a plasticy smoothness to it.

Here's a couple pictures after at least ten coats:

Old 02-19-2004, 10:50 PM

Oh, and I didn't notice too much of an increase in looks with extra coats. I did notice that, like with all wax, it is important to have a fresh coat but with my finish the car looked as good as the end of day one (3 coats) as it did after many coats. My car was in great condition before Zaino so that could be part of it...
Old 02-19-2004, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by flitcroft
Where's the ZFX in there? Don't apply Zaino without it. It's just too much time. With ZFX it cures very quickly.
He used Z1. Z1 can be used instead of ZFX and v/v.

Hondo, did you read the this ---> Zaino FAQ

I think you need to be using ZFX in Portland at this time of year, unless you are in a heated garage.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:03 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PWRMKR
Old 02-19-2004, 11:28 PM

I'm giggie with what you are saying.
I had a heated power plant, Z1, and all the time in the world. The end result was awesome.
I don't think he let the Z5 dry long enough.

Thoughts?
Old 02-20-2004, 07:46 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hondo
then wait about 1 hour and then buff it off
Old 02-20-2004, 07:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

agree with most of the above...
a few more coats of zaino-
and the only thing i do diff is p21s as the last step- instead of z6.
try it next time-
Old 02-20-2004, 08:06 AM

1. Thin
2. It has to come off very easily, otherwise its not dry
3. IMO Mirror looks are FAR more noticable on a black vs silver.
4. Lighting is very important for how the car looks also notice all shots of post waxing have great light angles .

I've only used ZFX so I can't comment on if you're doing something wrong with Z1

Quick Reply: Zaino, what am I doing wrong?