S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Zaino Tips I just figured out

Old 06-01-2002, 03:32 PM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Zaino Tips I just figured out

After taking my Ginger to the Finger Lakes last weekend, she REALLY needed some serious cleaning! I've never seen so many bugs on the front of any car before!

So yesterday I gave her a wash, which cleaned her up enough to find the really hard bug splats, which I took care of today along with another full wash. Then, I pulled out the Z2 with ZFX to really do the job right (hardtop, too, since I used it for the trip).

Anyway, I figured out a few Zaino tips, especially for those with light-colored cars who haven't been doing the Zaino thing for long, and that goes double for those who can't figure out how to get 3 coats out of 1/2 oz!

1) Take one of the 2oz. bottles that you get with the ZFX, and score it with a serrated knife at the 1 oz. point (halfway up the bottle). Then cut off the top down to about 3/4 height. This will allow you to measure the polish (by the score mark you made), mix with ZFX, and actually get to ALL of the polish that you prepare, instead of fighting with the bottle to get the stuff that's clinging to the walls. I also used a small bent wire in my Dremel tool to mix up the polish - since I couldn't shake it without a top, this made it easy and thorough.

2) Be liberal at first with the polish on the pad. I've found that it really does seem to all soak in until the pad is properly saturated. Use some Z-6 on the pad to add to the moisture.

3) Though Zaino can be used in full sunlight, I found that it's easiest to see what you're putting on with the sun kind of low in the sky - the angle makes it much easier to see the polish as it goes on (especially important while you'tre learning and have a light colored car).

4) While learning, it's hard to believe that the Zaino is actually going on. You keep wanting to add more polish to the pad. When you THINK you've used it all up, rub the applicator on the windows. The glass shows the polish going on really well (you are putting Zaino on pretty much every exterior surface, right?) This will convince you that there's still useful polish on the pad. When even the glass doesn't show any more, you know it's time to add some to the pad.

I ended up doing 2 coats with 1 oz., though I could have easily stretched it to 3, but I didn't want to be out all evening, so I was pretty liberal with the second coat. I think these tips will help me get used to applying Zaino sparingly. Next time I'm going to use maybe 1/2+ oz, and see how it goes.

Happy Zaino!

JonasM
Old 06-02-2002, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A true Zaino-holic