S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

zaino streaks

Old 02-19-2002, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default zaino streaks

i started using zaino about a month ago, and i cant seem to get rid of these streaks i get
is it because i put on too much z1? it looks really ugly...wondering if anyone knows how to get rid of it
i feel like throwing up when i look at it...well its not that bad, just doesnt look excellent...please help
Old 02-20-2002, 10:41 AM

First off all what color is your car, when you apply Z-1 your suppose to go over it right away with a coat of either Z-2 or Z-5. If your car is black i would recommend going over Z-1 with at least 1 coat of Z-5 if not 2 before you use Z-2, alot of guys like to use Z-2 for their final coat for the added gloss. You are only suppose to use Z-1 for every ten coats of either Z-2 or Z-5 you put on, i usually go every twelve before i Z-1 again.
As for your streaks how long did you let the Z-1 and Z-2 or Z-5 dry on the car together, Z-1 takes very long to cure if you take it off to early it will leave streak marks on the car, if your car is black your def. gonna see this. I usually let my zaino cure on my car for at least twelve hours before i take it off, the easiest way to do it is put a coat of Z-2 or Z-5 on the car at night before you go to bed & then take it off in the morning after you wake up. Oh yeah make sure your using a 100% cotton applicator to put on the wax and a 100% cotton towel to take it off, i use fieldcrest towels, if your using cheap towels you could be getting streaks from that also. If you apply zaino correctly after your done waxing it should make you do this

Hope i was able to help out
Old 02-20-2002, 12:19 PM

I had the same problem a couple of days ago when I put on Z1 followed by Z5. I let it dry overnight, total drying time was 18 hours. I put a heavy coat of Z2 and let that dry for four hours. When I took off the Z2, all was fine. I've been using this for a while now and have well over two dozen coats of Z5 throughout this time. This was the third time I used Z1. I'm beginning to think that a heavier than normal coat of Z2/Z5 after Z1 is the key. I'll let you know if this theory works after nine more coats!
Old 02-20-2002, 01:05 PM

Wow 18hr. cure time rstark, the sun and heat out their in hawaii must be killing you with the drying process, i see your also a blk/blk hardtopper, i just added mine to my sig
Old 02-20-2002, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by liquid215
Wow 18hr. cure time rstark, the sun and heat out their in hawaii must be killing you with the drying process, i see your also a blk/blk hardtopper, i just added mine to my sig
Not really, the humidity is a factor. As soon as I woke up the next day, I tried the finger test (rub your finger in one spot, and if you see streaks, it's not dry), and failed. So I opened the garage door and let the warm air in, a few hours later, still streaked. Went out shopping and came back later, still streaked. I was thinking WTF???!!! So I put a heavy coat of Z2 on, went to dinner and grocery shopping, came home and took it off, no streaks, and put on Z6. Went to bed, got up the next day and went for a topless cruise!
Old 02-20-2002, 05:24 PM

The key to using Zaino is to use VERY SMALL amounts. I tell my customers to use drops, say 3 or 4 on each end of the applicator for a total of 6-8. Don't squeeze the bottle and end up with globs of polish on the pad. You probably know that Z-1 goes on with a dry 100% U.S. made cotton cloth/pad and is applied in a circular motion. Z-1 is a once every 6 months or every 10 coats of Z-2/5 application. Without removing Z-1, apply Z-2 or Z-5 directly on top of it. Now you want to moisten the applicator with a little Z-6 or water to help the polish flow. Again, use VERY SMALL amounts.

It will take a long time to dry if you apply too much...use the absolute least amount possible and get the surface covered. You should be able to step back from the car 10 or 15 feet and have difficulty discerning that there is a coat of polish drying on the surface.

Now my car isn't as sporty as yours, it's a PT Cruiser, but I can apply a coat of polish to my entire vehicle, wheels, rubber moldings that are smooth and only use 1/4 of an ounce. Yep, only 1/4 of an ounce...I'm using ZFX so I can measure the amount into the mixing bottle. You only need to see the applicator leave the faintest of trails to get the vehicle properly covered.

There is a learning curve with Zaino...VERY SMALL amounts...let it dry completely! I've never had to wait more than an hour (pre ZFX days) for it to dry. It will streak if you try to wipe it off and it isn't dry.
Old 02-20-2002, 07:02 PM

thanks for the tips... i'll make sure to try it out over the weekend
Old 02-20-2002, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by STreece
The key to using Zaino is to use VERY SMALL amounts. I tell my customers to use drops, say 3 or 4 on each end of the applicator for a total of 6-8.
That's exactly what I did, and the result was streaking.