S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Zaino, static buildup and dust

Old 04-27-2002, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zaino, static buildup and dust

A lot of folks seem to be experiencing more dust build up due to static. I also have noticed the same thing. This does not surprise me however. I can't fully explain the physics, but when you get an aerodynamic surface really smooth, in this case with Zaino, it seems to build up more static. The anti-static gloss enhancer stuff supposedly helps, but I don't think it is helping much.

Years ago there were a bunch of infomercials and car polishes touting Fomlin A. Another molecular type paint coating. It claimed to be a anti-static as it was a non-conductor of electricity. Well let's think about this. If we coat are cars with a non-conducting film, where are the extra electrons going to go. No where, they are going to build up and attract dust.

The same thing happens on airplane wings. However, they have little static discharge wires on the trailing edge of the wing to help diffuse static buildup into the airstream.

There is a good trade off though. Zaino may, or may not, cause more static and dust build up, but it makes it easy to clean the car. All the dust rolls right off with pretty much plain water.
Old 04-27-2002, 07:59 PM

You are not kidding about the static. I really like Zaino, but my car now attracts dust like crazy. I guess I will just have to wash it more often. I noticed that you installed Lucid 3-way rear speakers. I am waiting for mine to arrive. How do you like the set-up? Are you still using the OEM Head unit. Thanks.

Al
Old 04-27-2002, 09:14 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I've noticed that if I wash the car and do not use the Z6 spray after it's dried, it is a dust magnet. But if I use the Z6, the car stays dust free several days longer. At that time, if the car is still basically clean, the California Duster takes care of it.
Old 04-28-2002, 08:46 AM

ALS ... how's it going up there is Chi town?

The rear Kenwood's rock. A friend of mine here, from Chicago I might add, heard mine and then immediately ordered them for his '02 Silver. I am very happy with them and so is he.

I have done nothing else to the stock system. I am toying around with getting a MP3 head unit, but not for sound quality. If I go with a new head unit, I will probably get the Kenwood 3-way door speakers as well.

As for the Zaino static thing, then I am guessing the the anti-static gloos enhancer does help. WIthout it, it sounds like the problem is much worse. Perhaps we should be using more of the gloss enhancer? I know I go pretty light with it.
Old 04-29-2002, 05:07 AM

how about this for a point of view . . .

now that you have zaino'ed the car - you are able to see the dust more. remembering the pure optical properties of Zaino, there is nothing to diffuse or oil up the surface, and some oils can and will hide the dust that used to be there -

so, yes - keep using the Z6, it does cut the static - and remember, the dust you are seeing is the reflection of a great job you have done on the car - wear it proudly
Old 04-29-2002, 06:21 AM

Good point, Homer!