S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Zaino Questions

Old 05-14-2003, 04:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Zaino Questions

So I'm gonna Zaino for the first time this weekend (pics coming) and I have some questions.

1) What should I apply Dawn with? Should I use a seperate sponge tahn what I was with after I claybar?

2) Do I have to buy the Zaino claybar? Is there a differance? If not Zaino's claybar who has one at a good price? Does Autozone carry claybar? If so which one should I get?

Thanks in advance guys! I'll post pics of the finished product!!!
Old 05-14-2003, 04:51 AM

1)- dawn wash - before clay and i would use a seperate wash mitt.. after Claying - Zaino wash

2) I tried Meguyer's clay for the first time last week and i wasn't impressed Zaino's clay works really well albit it's expensive for what you get - I couldn't find any clay at Auto-zone, walmart, etc I had to go to a local autobody supply store for the Meguyer's - it was $20.00 for a good sized bar but again it didn't work as well as the zaino clay - They had some 3M clay but it was $28.00

Good luck!!
Old 05-14-2003, 04:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cheapest place to by Zaino is directly from them or Sportscarcare.com. Other online places have a pretty sizeable markup.

As far as the claybar goes, the Zaino one does work quite well. Zaino supplies 2 separately-wrapped bars in their jar, so it's good for 2 - 4 applications, depending on how gooky your car is. (is gooky a word)?

I used the same mitt for my Dawn application, but it's up to you. I washed w/ Dawn, then thru the mitt in the washing machine, did the claybar, and then the mitt was clean again for the post-claybar wash.

Don't forget to claybar the wheels, it takes off the little "tarlets" very nicely!
Old 05-14-2003, 07:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

vrm vrm- not a bad idea to clay the wheels, but i would not use that clay on the car again (the wheels are more likely to have grit that will embed in the clay and that could swirl or scratch the painted surfaces on them). good use for an old clay bar, imo.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:29 AM

Oh, I agree. I just toss the claybar when I'm done anyhow. It's not worth a few bucks saved to risk scratching the car.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:45 AM

You guys always give great advice - I didn't realize the Zaino came with 2 bars...sweet! Anyway I am getting this Thursday from the Zaino distributer in Austin. His prices should be consistant with the Zaino website right? I don't want to end up getting raped over on the price
Old 05-14-2003, 07:48 AM

One other question - do you guys dry after each wash?

It seems kinda redundant and a bad use of extra time to dry the car after the dawn wash, after the clay bar, AND after the z7 wash do you guys agree?

I am thinking of only drying the car after the z7 wash (right before the first coat of z5 goes on). What do you guys think?
Old 05-14-2003, 09:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

austin (hook'em horns!- i am a texas-ex)-
zaino prices should be the same from the distributor as from the website
i always dry my car after washing to avoid spotting... i guess if you have water without chemicals, such as from a well, you might not need to worry about water spots.
Old 05-14-2003, 10:36 AM

I think I'm going to hook up the hose to my water softener to minimize water spotting - the softner is the bomb and the water has virtually NO minerals...any issue with washing an S using soft water?
Old 05-14-2003, 10:58 AM

I will use the Dawn, use the claybar, wash w/ Z7 and THEN dry.

You're going to use lubricant between the bar and the paint when you clay, so why bother drying? The water will only help the lubrication.

Quick Reply: Zaino Questions