S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Zaino: the Millie-Vanilli of car care products

Old 05-18-2002, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zaino: the Millie-Vanilli of car care products

Well, the Zaino shampoo, Z1 and Z2 I spent over $40 on now get put away with the Monster Cable and other over-priced, pitched-to-hobbyists-who-don't-want-to-use-pedestrian-products-because-they-are-too-clever mistakes I've made.

I fell for all the talk here and pseudo-science on the Zaino web site, broke down and spent 3X what a decent car wash and wax would cost at Wal-Mart. I'd hoped there'd really be a difference.

Three hours of effort later, my new black S2000 (only 400 miles) looks no better than it would have if I'd used Turtle Wax.

The shampoo and Z1 stink, literally. The Z2 goes on badly, dries to an impenetrable mud-like consistency, and needs far too much effort to remove. The resulting finish is only fair.

It's clear this stuff appeals more to our Protestant work ethic -- you gotta get a good sweat up for it to be any good -- than it provides anything over what a decent wash and wax would.

Now, all of you who _think_ it's definably different, flame on.

For my part, I only make an expensive mistake once.
Old 05-18-2002, 04:34 PM

Buddy take it easy, I'm the biggest sceptic you'll ever meet but I found that the Zaino 100% met my expectations. You've obviously applied way too much product. Zaino goes on and comes off easier than any wax product I've ever used. And I've been driving cars for nearly 33 years now. I put away my Monster cables years ago, but you should really give Zaino another try.
Old 05-18-2002, 04:42 PM

If you put Zaino on that thick, you obviously don't understand Zaino. The key is to put it on with ULTRA thin multiple layers! One ounce should be more than enough for one coat on the S. I put another coat on mine today (total of 5 coats) and went sparingly. I'm thinking 8 coats ia a minimum I want to have.

Zaino is without a doubt the best exterior car product on the market! Z8( car wash) gives lots of suds and lifts dirt without taking the shine off. Z5 takes out swirl marks and Z2 gives lots of gloss!

Use it correctly and give it a chance! You won't be dissapointed!
Old 05-18-2002, 05:11 PM

The hardest thing for a new Zaino user to learn is to apply it VERY thin. Forget everything you ever knew about applying a wax/polish product. As long as you can see the applicator leave a trail across the surface, even if it seems to disappear almost immediately, you have enough.

From what I can glean from ToyBoy's post, he must have applied a huge amount of polish. It would be interesting to learn how much of the 8oz bottle he applied to his car.

My personal car (PT Cruiser) has more surface area than a S2K, but I can apply a coat of polish to the car using only 1/4 of an ounce. Since I use ZFX, I know how much is used because a measured amount goes into the mixing bottle.

If you are using Z-1, just use drops...only 6-8...on a dry applicator and apply it in a circular motion. Do not remove it, and apply Z-2/Z-5 directly on top of it. Z-2/Z-5 are always applied with a slightly moistened applicator...use water or Z-6 (preferred). The little bit of moisture on the pad keeps the pad from absorbing the product and helps the polish to flow nicely. Remember that Z-2/Z-5 are directional products, i.e., bumper to bumper on the hood, etc., and vertical on the sides.

Hope this is helpful info.
Old 05-18-2002, 10:08 PM

ToyBoy,

Like you, I'm a skeptic. I refused to buy Monster Cables "just in case" they were better, simply because there was so much bogus science being tossed around about them. What I cared about, was and is an audible difference. I'm still waiting.

On the other hand, I'd seen several Zaino'd cars, and the appearance was enough to make me want to test it myself. My first attempt, about 10 days ago, was a somewhat rushed wash, followed by two coats of Z2/ZFX, with a good "Gloss Enhancer" rubdown in-between coats. The car looked ok, but quite honestly, I didn't really notice anything substantially different from other finishes I've seen.

Next day, took the car to Indy (2-hour drive), and then back the following day. Hmmm... bug removal from the front bumper is suspiciously easier than before. Maybe just my imagination.

This past Wednesday (one week from the first round of Zaino), I decided it needed a quick bath, and figured I'd toss a couple more coats of Zaino on it. My first surprise, was how finely the water beaded on EVERY surface of the car. The dirt that had collected along the rear quarters WASHED OFF with a low-pressure rinse and NO SOAP. Hmmm...

Washed the car with Zaino soap. Rinsed... water still beading very fine... so what? Time to dry with the towels.

My towels are just garden-variety, 100% cotton bath towels. I did what I always do to start drying a car. I gently floated the towel over the hood, and pulled it gently toward the front bumper. This typically dries the hood in 3-4 swipes, with almost no pressure against the paint surface.

Much to my amazement, with ONE PASS of the towel, that half of the hood was COMPLETELY DRY. Hmmm...

Try the other side of the hood. Same thing. Completely dry. Now THIS is curious. In record time, the entire car is dry, having shed the water from the body surface to the towel in a most surprising manner. Hmmm...

Today, I took the car out to dinner and shopping. Stares. Waves. Paint looks like it's soaking wet. Flawless.

Is Zaino snake oil? Am I self-decieved? I don't really care. The car looks awesome, and for around $50, I have enough "detailer stuff" to keep the car looking sharp for a year. Seems like pretty cheap snake oil to me. However, if it doesn't work for you, or if you've got something better, I'm always open to suggestions.

Tim

P.S. My first coat of Z2/ZFX was approximately 1 oz., and I decided to try to keep it at that level. However, my most recent coat (#4), actually came from the third ounce. (The difference probably came from wetting the applicator with "Gloss Enhancer" before applying the polish.) I have no doubt that I'll be able to get at least 1.5 coats on this car from each ounce, and probably 2.
Old 05-18-2002, 10:21 PM

toyboy looks like a troll to me
Old 05-18-2002, 11:17 PM

I bought my first group of Zaino products with the recent group buy...and I finally got around to using it today. I started from the beginning - washed with dawn, used the claybar (probably the hardest part since I wasn't sure if I was using it correctly), washed with Zaino car wash then applied two coats of Z2/ZFX (and removed with a 100% cotton towel).

Whew! I've NEVER spent this much time washing and waxing any car before, but it has been well worth it. The car is shiny and extremely smooth to the touch. I also probably used just a bit too much initially because I was expecting to see the wax as I was putting it on. But, once I got the hang of it, it seemed to go on nicely.

The true test will be tomorrow, when I can see it in the sun...

But, I will say I was impressed when it took 1/4 of the time it usually does to put on my Colgan bra - it slid on so easily I thought I was dreaming...Got the whole thing on in 2-3 minutes.
Old 05-19-2002, 03:34 PM

Zaino has lasted the longest. Normal wax and polishes wears off by driving in the rain. Zaino stays on for along time.
Old 05-19-2002, 09:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was really floored by just the claybar! I've never felt a smoother surface until I used it. Then the shine....even on my silver finish is amazing! Get more coats on her and you'll be satisfied.
Old 05-20-2002, 11:06 AM

I used to be a professional car detailer many years ago and I tried all of the commercially-available products. All I can say is that the Zaino line has afforded all my vehicles an exceptional high quality shine and lustre - better than ANYTHING else that I know of. The more coats of Z2 that you put on, the better it gets.

I recommend using the claybar first before applying any Zaino product.

I used to own a black Corvette C5 and the Zaino turned that paint into an absolute brilliant looker. It is just as good with my Spa Yellow S2000.

I suspect that your base finish was rough to start with, or you applied the Zaino incorrectly possibly with the wrong applicators. Did you use 100% cotton towels to polish?

I will not use any product other than Zaino. People recommend Meguiars?[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/puke.gif[/img] THAT'S what I think of Megiuars! I used to believe that Meguiars made good polish/wax products. The only thing of theirs that I will use now is the Gold Class Wash. Their vinyl cleaner almost permanantly marred the surface of my roof (303 fixed that).

By the way, a heads up to all.............there is NEVER any excuse to use a circular motion when applying anything to your car's finish. ALWAYS go back and forth (horizontal surfaces) and up and down (vertical surfaces). Circular motions will induce swirls into your paint. A definite no no.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Zaino: the Millie-Vanilli of car care products