S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

zaino- hand vs. machine application

Old 05-27-2002, 11:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default zaino- hand vs. machine application

o.k.- based on posts on this board telling me that some of you believe that hand application of z2 was preferred to machine, i decided to try both on my black car.

my conclusion is that the machine app is superior to the hand app...
i think that the primary reason for this is that the machine is able to apply almost the exact same amount of z2 over the entire car. i was not able to do that by hand. further, the machine app was much easier. my experience was the machine left a perfect finish, while the hand app left some areas that were not as perfect (probably where the z2 was applied a bit heavier than others). in fairness, i admit that the machine does use more product- but the benefits far outweight this minor disadvantage, in my opinion.
for machine app, i used the porter cable on low speed.
i have still not tried removal by machine... have only used micro fiber towels to remove by hand. i know that professional detailers would use a machine on high speed to soften the surface in the removal process- but that is for very experienced machine users!!
Old 05-28-2002, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you using a randomorbital? or a normal?
Old 05-29-2002, 07:43 AM

Originally posted by sumir brahmbhatt
are you using a randomorbital? or a normal?
i use random (porter cable) orbital... best for us amateurs!
do you use a non-random?
i have never tried the high speed that is recommended for paint softening- i leave that to the experts-
(as a matter of fact, i did try to dry the pad by high speed- per instructions- but the pad flew apart!!)

i would be interested in hearing from any pros out there who do use high speed with machines... i know that this is the preference of pros for wax app, but dont know what the opinion is regarding zaino and high speed orbitals (especially the non-random type).
Old 05-29-2002, 11:55 AM

oh nono i am just interested in purchasing a porter and cable, where did you get yours from? it would be great if i could get it at homedepot, or lowes in town
Old 05-29-2002, 12:14 PM

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

Lowes carries them. Don't know about Home Depot.
Old 05-29-2002, 12:16 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sumir brahmbhatt
[B]oh nono i am just interested in purchasing a porter and cable, where did you get yours from? it would be great if i could get it at homedepot, or
Old 05-29-2002, 09:06 PM

Originally posted by wanabe

i use random (porter cable) orbital... best for us amateurs!
do you use a non-random?
i have never tried the high speed that is recommended for paint softening- i leave that to the experts-
(as a matter of fact, i did try to dry the pad by high speed- per instructions- but the pad flew apart!!)

i would be interested in hearing from any pros out there who do use high speed with machines... i know that this is the preference of pros for wax app, but dont know what the opinion is regarding zaino and high speed orbitals (especially the non-random type).
I know a lot of Professional detailers and none of them use Zaino. Zaino is pretty much an enthusiast/consumer product that is not practical to use in Body and Paint shops or Detail Shops.
Old 05-30-2002, 07:45 AM

Originally posted by s2kbug

I know a lot of Professional detailers and none of them use Zaino. Zaino is pretty much an enthusiast/consumer product that is not practical to use in Body and Paint shops or Detail Shops.
thanks s2kbug... makes sense- zaino is probably more labor and more cost than other products.
so i guess its not likely that anyone uses it with a high speed applicator- so, now i have a goal!! (but i will get there very slowly)