S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Zaino - did I do it right ?

Old 06-10-2002, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zaino - did I do it right ?

I got my shipment of Zaino last Thursday and started working on my month-old '02 on Friday night. Here's what I did:

1. I washed the car with a cap full of Dawn, then dried it using my Charisma towels.

2. I applied one coat of Z1 with a cotton applicator and used about 1/4 of the bottle. Is that too much?

3. Without waiting, I applied one coat of Z2 using the same applicator after I sprayed it with some Z6. Here, I was surprised because the Z2 didn't go on smoothly. It would sometimes smear and leave thick spots that became hard to spread. I used about 1/6 of the Z2 bottle. Again, did I use too much?

4. Waited for half an hour. I tried to wipe the Zaino off using my cotton towels, but I just kept moving it around. I wasn't until I drove home a few blocks away (I was at a public car wash) that it finally dried up. I was then able to polish it off. By that time, it was getting late and I decided to leave the Z6 application for another time.

I'm a bit disappointed by the results. The color (blue) is a bit deeper, the shine is good but not amazing and the surface is fairly smooth. Also, my car is all fuzzy with dust today.

My main objective when I polish my car is to protect the paint and clear coat. Although the enhanced looks is definitely desirable, I'm more concerned about keeping the paint in its original condition and avoiding the permanent streaks that you'll see under the sun on older cars.

I used McGuire's a lot on my old car and got awesome results. I decided to use Zaino because I understood it had no abrasives and involved less wiping back and forth on the clear coat. I ended up doing a lot of that to get the Zaino completely off.

With all the good comments I've heard about Zaino, I'm sure it's a fine product and I know I did something wrong that prevented me from getting optimal results.

I know I should have done it earlier during the day. I also know that I probably used too much (correct?), but it's the first time I use cotton towels and I have trouble believing that I'm not putting streaks in the clear coat when I'm wiping the car with them (any comments on this?). That's why I put more Z1-Z2 to make sure the cotton applicator slid properly on the surface.

What's your advice and what should be my next step? Should I apply another coat of Z2 after my next wash?

Thanks.
Old 06-10-2002, 10:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you used wayyyyyy too much zaino. they say you can get 3 coats with just one ounce.

here's what i did

washed with dawn

clayed the car - boy what a difference even with a new s2k

washed with Zaino car wash

mixed two ounces of z2 with zfx and put a dime sized amout on the applicator. did my hood and fenders. used another dime sized amount to finish. waited 20 minutes (zfx) and buffed then used z6 (gloss spay) then re-applied z2.

when done i had three coats and even the spa yellow has a brilliant shine. did my dad's dark green ls400 and i swear you could off it. she is like a mirror. This was two weeks ago and they are still shinning..
Old 06-10-2002, 10:27 AM

I put a second coat of Z5 on my Red S2000 this weekend; probably used less than 1 ounce per application. Awesome, awesome, awesome!!
You must have used way too much; I'd wash the car with Dawn and try again with less than an ounce.
Old 06-10-2002, 10:41 AM

don't think dawn will remove Zaino cause it
Old 06-10-2002, 11:05 AM

First off, you probably needed more time for the Zaino to dry off (since you probably used too much). I wouldn't try to strip the Zaino off (with Dawn or rubbing alcohol) if I were you, especially after all that hard work. Just wash the car again with Z7 (? .. Zaino's car wash detergent) or equivalent. Buff out any remaining residue from your first application and do a light (read: LIGHT, or you'll get some streaks) application of Z6. Then apply your second coat of Z2 (remember not to use too much), and buff it out when you can run your finger across an applied spot and see nothing but clean/clear paint underneath. If you run your finger and it doesn't reveal a nice clean spot, you'll need to wait a little longer for it to completely dry. I usually wait about 2-3 hours just to be safe, but then I have some optimal conditions here (sunny, warm and relatively dry). Your mileage may vary.

I'll have to say that when I first used Zaino, I was disappointed too. It wasn't until I washed my car again, and applied my 3rd coat that I was absolutely flabbergasted (sp?) by the results. Deep deep wet look. First tip-off for me was how absolutely easy it was to wash and dry my car. The surface felt sooo slick, and the water just kept running off the car. In fact, I almost fell off of the side of the car once when I was leaning over and cleaning the front fender.

Unfortunately, the first application is a pain in the poop-chute, especially if you clay your car. But the great thing is that afterwards, each coat you apply is so incredibly easy. Just be disciplined, and do not use too much Z2. I get three coats for every ounce.

Good luck, and let us know how your next application goes!
Old 06-10-2002, 12:09 PM

How about my fears that cotton applicators and towels may leave fine scratches in the clear coat?
Old 06-10-2002, 12:45 PM

shouldn't be a prob with cotton as long as you used 100% american cotton towels that have been pre-washed (no fab softners).

you really should check out the Zaino Bros website for all the info you need.

good luck
Old 06-10-2002, 01:39 PM

Besides the amount of the product you used, you made another error:

Z-2 on top of Z-1 requires a loonnnnggg hazing time. If you want to remove the excess Z-2 after a half hour, you need to be using ZFX instead of Z-1.

Basically, when done right, you probably won't believe any Z-2 is actually making it onto the car. If you look really closely, you might notice it vanish into the finish upon application and still think, "No, that can't possibly be enough".

Eventually the polish hazes, and the excess zaino "precipitates" out (i.e. you can see it) and can remove it. If youre able to see it after a half hour using Z-1, you are using way way WAY too much.
Old 06-10-2002, 05:56 PM

Great post, Albert. You saved me a lot of typing.

I thought I was putting the Z1/2 on very thin my first time almost four years ago. After 24 hrs, it still hadn't hazed over. I felt the same as you, S2K02. Give it a chance. The shine gets better, the application gets easier, and Zaino will last a long time.
Old 06-11-2002, 10:22 AM

Thank you all, this is really helpful. Can't wait to see the results when it's done properly.

Quick Reply: Zaino - did I do it right ?