S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Zaino Advice (Z5/Scratch and Swirls)

Old 06-18-2003, 10:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Zaino Advice (Z5/Scratch and Swirls)

Ok all I spent a fair amount of time Zainoing. I believe I blew the first two coats of Z5 I put on initially by not adding enough ZFX. I then put Z2 on and that worked well. Another coat of Z2 and that went well. 2 weeks ago I put a Z5 on and it took well. All of this with ZFX. Unfortunately I am still seeing the minor swirl/scratches (only visible in the sunlight) on my S and its really buggin me. What do you guys advise to get these out without starting over? Did I screw it all up by putting the Z5 on after the Z2 (I don't think I did). Should I overapply Z5 in the areas with swirls?? How long should I let it 'cure' if I add ZFX? I've been giving it about 30 mins. Also anyone know where to get more of those little bottles that the ZFX comes with?

One last question. I washed my S about 2 days ago - didn't put a coat on or anything (missing the little bottles to mix with). If I wanted to put a coat on today could I just go over the car with my Cali Car duster and some of the Zaino gloss spray or should I just rewash it again? I want to put as many coats as I can on and if I don't wash I know I could try and put like 3 Z5 on tonight (versus one or two tops after washing) once the hot texas sun goes down.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Z5 does not remove swirls but attempts optically to cover them up. They will still be there just less visible.

I would only apply Zaino to my car if it had been sitting in the garage for 2 days. If it has been driven or sitting outside you must wash before applying Zaino. If not you are setting yourself up for more swirl marks and black is by far the worst.
Old 06-18-2003, 01:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try a few more rounds of z5 as I've used it sucessfully to "hide" or "mask" swirl marks. But this was after about 3-4 coats.

If this is the case and they are still visible, use 3M swirl remover possibly ? I've also seen a guy put on the z5 "too thick" and then swirl marks appeared ?

for 2 oz of z2 or z5 it needs abouts 4 drops of zfx to speed up the drying time. What are your outside ambient temp's ? I know for myself if it's in the 60-70's say, a good 30mins is all that is needed depending on the sun of course. But be sure to do your finger smear regardless.

get more bottles from your local zaino distributer or a beauty salon supply store has them. Slightly larger (4oz bottles, but still effective)

I personally, wash with z7, then z6 always before applying more coats. But I've seen guys apply with a quick dust and z6 spray. Most certainl more risky as you may miss minute particles that can cause minor scratches and swirls.

hope that helps..
Old 06-18-2003, 08:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

as indicated above, z5 is just a swirl mask... and it wears off too. the only real cure is to use something like 3m swirl remover (which will remove a small amount of your clear coat too- so i always advise to hold-off on this until you really see swirls. btw, keep in mind that 99% of the population wont see your swirls!).
my car is 3 years old now and beginning to show swirls enough that i will probably go for its first 3m treatment in the next few months. dont forget that a real swirl remover also removes everything else (such as zaino), so the zaino process also needs to be redone.