S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

your favorite car soap?

Old 01-10-2012, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've tried a couple of different car washes. I have my favorites but I honestly cannot say that there is a huge difference between them:

1) Griot's Car Wash: this is what I am presently using. It appears to clean just fine, and the lubricity is good.

2) Duragloss 901: also very good, but I'm not a big fan of the strawberry smell. Others swear by the stuff.

3) Meguiar's NXT: too bad this stuff is no longer available at retail stores (at least not here in Roanoke). This may clean the best and it rinses clear, which is important to me.

4) Meguiar's Gold Class: also very good. Good lubricity. No complaints.

5) Turtle Wax Ice: seems to clean just as well as the others, but it did seem to affect the beading of my wax.

I would not waste my money on boutique car washes that cost twice as much as the above shampoos.

I should also mention Optimum No Rinse. This stuff is great. Some people use it year-around. I use it during the wintertime and when I am lazy. I still prefer using a hose, but ONR does simplify the work (I don't have to put away the hose and I don't have to worry about water hiding in crevices).

As far as wheel cleaners, I have not found a need for a powerful wheel cleaner on my S2K. Any all purpose cleaner seems to do the job, as well as the gentler, environmentally friendly Griot's Wheel Cleaner. I'm sure Sonax is great, but it would be overkill for my wheels.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:47 PM

Another vote for ONR. It's what I use most of the time. It doesn't use a lot of water, and its fast to setup. Fill up a couple buckets, add ONR to one of them, and start washing the car. No need to get the hose out.

That being said, sometimes I like getting the hose out and doing a traditional wash. When I do that, I typically use Meguiar's Gold Class. I have also used Meguiar's Deep Crystal Car Wash and was happy with it, but I prefer the Gold Class shampoo. I had some Turtle Wax stuff a long long time ago, and I wasn't impressed.

I haven't tried anything else since Megs Gold Class can be purchased OTC and I like how it performs. When I run out though, maybe I'll try something new then.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Meguiar's Ultimate. If they're out of it I'll use Gold Class or even the basic Meg's wash.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:59 PM

I have tried Meguiar's Ultimate Wash & Wax (I have about a half of jug left) and have mixed feelings about it. On two occasions it left behind what I can only describe as streaks. No doubt it was user error--every product has its own learning curve--but I've never had this problem with any other car wash I've used. When I finally finish the jug, I probably will not purchase it again. But I do like the smell ... pineapple?

I think I prefer a product that simply cleans the car well and rinses off well. If I want to boost the gloss, I'll follow-up with either a quick detailing spray (my favorite is Finish Kare 425) or Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax. I am very sensitive about water spotting and have learned to always follow up a car wash in one of these two ways.

I am looking forward to trying out Meguiar's new waterless Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:04 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by akimel
I have tried Meguiar's Ultimate Wash & Wax (I have about a half of jug left) and have mixed feelings about it. On two occasions it left behind what I can only describe as streaks. No doubt it was user error--every product has its own learning curve--but I've never had this problem with any other car wash I've used. When I finally finish the jug, I probably will not purchase it again. But I do like the smell ... pineapple?

I am looking forward to trying out Meguiar's new waterless Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere.
never heard of their new product

and streaks? i've never had that problem, i have a silver car so that maybe why, grey hides everything lol and i do the 2 bucket washing method, usually wash in the shade and sheet rinse
Old 01-13-2012, 12:37 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kPA
I've been using Meguiar's Gold Class.
But since I agree that their wheel cleaner is the best, I'll have to try the Sonax.
+1 for the Gold Class. Great sudz
Old 01-13-2012, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by jaor.s2k
and streaks? i've never had that problem, i have a silver car so that maybe why, grey hides everything lol and i do the 2 bucket washing method, usually wash in the shade and sheet rinse
My black paint does show everything--i've never had a problem with Ultimate W&W when using it on our glacier blue CR-V--but since I've never come across anyone else complaining about residue or streaking, I have to assume that that problem was on my end. But the "streaking" did occur on at least two occasions on my black S2K. I want a car shampoo that rinses off well. If I want additional gloss I'll either go over it with a quick detailing spray or Megs' Ultimate Quik Wax (which is a great product, IME).
Old 01-15-2012, 07:34 AM

I've been using Griot's since the day I bought my S2000.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:28 PM

I love pinnacle xmt shampoo ever since their new formula came out. Sonax is awesome too. Their wheel cleaner is the best wheel cleaner ever hands down.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by adrs2k
Zaino and Griot's car wash are my favorites.
Only use Zaino. Does a great job of getting rid of sap and road grime.

Quick Reply: your favorite car soap?