S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Would You Buy a DA if you had a Rotary?

Old 05-03-2012, 09:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Would You Buy a DA if you had a Rotary?

I have never used a DA other than for sanding. Now that I have a fleet that I have to maintain I was thinking of purchasing a Porter Cable DA for cleaning up some of my cars. I typically try and use my Makita Rotary Buffer with glazing compound yearly on my cars but I was thinking that a DA would be easier. The buffer flings the compound and makes a huge mess but I figured that a DA would not have this issue.

I actually have an old school 10" Buffer NIB but have never used it as I never really liked them.

If yes, you would suggest a DA would you recommend the Porter Cable? Do you use it to wax or just polish? I figured I would use it with a light cutting compound, follow up with some type of glaze then hand buff like I would when I use the rotary tool but I have no idea what products to use or the easiest way.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the porter cable, but the Griots version is just as good (if not a little better). I correct, polish and apply sealants with mine, although I was considering buying a rotary just for the jobs that require a lot of work from the PC.

You still have to be carefull of slinging with the DA, but as long as you keep the product usage under control and not let the pad spin when not in contact with a surface, you'll be fine.

Products are mostly the same, except the DA will require a different selection of pad/product to achieve desired results.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrible01
I have the porter cable, but the Griots version is just as good (if not a little better). I correct, polish and apply sealants with mine, although I was considering buying a rotary just for the jobs that require a lot of work from the PC.

You still have to be carefull of slinging with the DA, but as long as you keep the product usage under control and not let the pad spin when not in contact with a surface, you'll be fine.

Products are mostly the same, except the DA will require a different selection of pad/product to achieve desired results.
Thanks for the detail (Pun Entended)
Old 05-06-2012, 08:06 AM

Received 771 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by MisMyS
Originally Posted by Terrible01' timestamp='1336158053' post='21670043

Thanks for the detail (Pun Entended)
I would recommend the Porter. I have been using one for many years. Durable, effective and much better than the buffer you currently have. My next buffer will be the Flex which is a step up from the Porter and expensive, but I would go with the Porter or Griot until you get some experience.