S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Winter car wash, any thoughts?

Old 01-20-2004, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter car wash, any thoughts?

Sorry if this was previously posted. my computer is running really slow and didn't get to use the search engine (it kept locking up).

I'm tired of my car being dirty during the cold weather. I usually wash it at least once every week or two when the weather is nice, but when it's cold it's different. I can't wash it in my open apt garage, they won't let me. But I DO have an access to a running hose (cold water), bucket, soat, etc, (my spring, summer, fall car wash kit).

Is there anything I need to be cautious about. ie Don't use wax, or wax based car wash soap to wash it over the winter, etc. I can't use those "one time use" things, because of too much gunk on my car.
If not, I guess I can wait til it warms up.

Am I just being too anal?
Old 01-20-2004, 06:57 PM

If it were me I would go to the local quality touchless carwash and spray off the grime.

If you do it on a sunny day without much wind, you can get the car dry (MF WW Towel) before things start to freeze up much.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:22 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts

just an fyi, but if you park outside, i wouldn't recommend washing the car. i saw a friend of mine not being able to go drive home one night because the doors to his land cruiser were frozen.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you could attach your hose to the warm water would be better.

I would not do any washing, polishing or waxing in winter cold due to the outside extremities..

I would search for an indoor detailing place or a maybe even an auto mechanic for a warm garage, hose attachment and voila..

or you could rent a garage, buy a garage and heater and voila..

you have quite a bit of options..
Old 01-22-2004, 04:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

good ideas above...
i also like the idea of finding a fellow owner who has a garage, or warm water.
i always detail my car with someone else- i enjoy the company. probably someone in your area who feels the same way- they plan to detail their s2000 in their heated garage with warm water and wouldnt mind company!!!
if you find that person, be sure to take along some detailing supplies for them as a thank-you.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup! that guy with the heated garage is usually ME

you're welcome to it anytime Wanabe
Old 01-23-2004, 07:57 AM

Originally posted by Mocky57
just an fyi, but if you park outside, i wouldn't recommend washing the car. i saw a friend of mine not being able to go drive home one night because the doors to his land cruiser were frozen.

Spraying from the door locks down will help to solve that problem. Also, keeping the locks lubricated!

When washing the car under normal conditions. Make sure were ever the rubber door seals touch the car's body is also cleaned. Plus, keep those areas waxed too. A coating of silicone spray or tire dressing on the rubber seals in the late fall will help to prevent a door freezing shut also.

I practice this and have not had problems with the doors on my Accord.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:05 AM

thanks for the advice.
I never ran my car through a car wash before, not even brushless.
I don't think we have one near DC. I can look or google it though. I know many gas stations have the brushless car wash attached to it, but they are rare in DC/Arlington area.

It's getting colder and colder everyday and my car is getting dirtier and dirtier. We're expected for some more snow tonight and some snow/sleet/slush mix on Sunday. Maybe, I'll just wait and try one of those brushless carwash when I get a chance.

Ppl w/ houses/garages near DC metro are just as rare as brushless carwashes. Most of us live in apt/condo set up, and if we do own a house, it's further out of DC.

Thanks again for your help.

LT
Old 01-23-2004, 08:33 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LT'S S2K
thanks for the advice.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:53 AM

I live in Ohio, and my S is a daily driver. I visist the $.25 wash once a week. It doesn't get everything, but please resist the urge to use the soap brush with eveyones grit & grime in the bristles....use that on your tires. Don't spray with high pressure anywhere near the top, they usually have a low pressure rinse that you can get any soap off the windows and top.

Quick Reply: Winter car wash, any thoughts?