S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Windshield question

Old 03-14-2007, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield question

ive used Invisible glass for a while and black and white newspaper. but i have seen alot of pits on the glass or residue. any way to get this off? can you use a clay bar on glass? or is there anything else good to clean your windshield.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can try clay... but glass polish is really your answer.
several out there- even zaino makes one.

easiest with the porter cable... always try it on a small area before going for the whole thing.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:03 PM

thanks wanabe. i'll try the zaino for now and get back to you on how it comes out. thanks!
Old 03-14-2007, 09:45 PM

I am going to do this soon too. Too many pits in the glas for my liking. Although most people probably wouldnt notice them. Guess I am just a wacko.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:14 AM

You should check out some of the new Diamondite glass refinishing products . . .

http://www.diamondite.com/

Haven't used any myself yet, but I've heard a few good reviews on them.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:09 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 4,735 Likes on 3,404 Posts

I apologize for 'ing an old thread but I have a similar question.

I have been doing some research on methods to restore windshields. Mine is pretty bad - over 130,xxx miles on the car - but no major cracks or chips that would really justify a replacement. Driving into the sun pretty much sucks, however.

I am aware of three different products that seem to be the "market leaders" - Zaino Z-12 Clear-View Glass Polish, Diamondite Glass Resurfacing Creme, and Eastwood's Glass Polishing Kit.

What I am wondering is if anyone has had any specific experience with these products. I have had someone local to me recommend the Zaino product but I get the feeling like it isn't, for want of a better term, strong enough for my issues.

I'm not looking for a miracle product here just something to give me some extra miles out of my windshield.

Thanks, in advance, for your input.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:15 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

I've used the Eastwood product on several older car windshields (1930's to 60's) with excellent results. Take your time and follow the directions and you will take years/miles off your windshield.

http://www.eastwood.com/glass-polishing-kit-pro.html
Old 08-12-2010, 09:27 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 4,735 Likes on 3,404 Posts

I'm under the impression that Rhodite is serious stuff. Did you have any issues with cutting too much or ending up with waves?

I am guessing that better results, as with anything, are a matter of better technique, however. No matter what happens, it can't be any worse, right?
Old 08-12-2010, 11:56 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Rhodite is a serious silica product, but if you follow the instructions you will not have any problems. I keep a spray bottle of water handy while working the product with an orbital. It tends to dry out quickly and spreads better when slightly damp. Watch that you don't let the windshield surface get too hot when polishing, keep a light touch and let the orbital do the work. Check the worked surface frequently for smoothness using your finger nails, it should feel slick. Tape off your windshield and drape your hood and fenders to keep those areas clean. Good luck on the project.

Clean the area to be worked with vinegar/water mixture ( 1 tbsp/per quart).
Old 08-12-2010, 12:44 PM

Received 771 Likes on 525 Posts

I have used Griots fine glass polish. Works well with the PC using a low density pad.

Quick Reply: Windshield question