S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Will there always be brake dust after a drive?

Old 05-25-2004, 01:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will there always be brake dust after a drive?

Hi, before I say anything I would like to thank the mods and members here for the warm welcome and help I always receive.

My question is, after a drive I notice a lot of brake dust on the wheels, especially the front. Will this be a constant? Of course I'd like to keep the wheels as beautiful and clean as I can and will set aside a morning to clean and wax them in the very near future.

One problem is, after I clean most of the brake dust off after a drive, the rag is so dirty that I must throw it away. I don't have enough rags to go through one a day for the rest of my life. How do the members here handle the problem of cleaning the brake dust off of their wheels? Do you have a lifetime supply of clean rags?
Old 05-25-2004, 07:37 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

purple haze... glad to see you back!

brake dust depends on lotsa things... i am assuming that you are using stock brakes and stock wheels. if so, you must be using the brakes alot- which is o.k....
i get almost no dust and i have stock pads on mine- i dont use brakes much at all. i do alot of engine braking. but if you are using the brakes alot and doing hard braking you will get dust.

best way to handle is to put the car on jack stands and take those babies off the car. wash and wax them (both sides). several coats of wax (i prefer synthetics cause they last longer).
if they are really dirty, use a non-acidic wheel cleaner (to avoid damaging your clear coat) before washing and waxing.
reinstall the wheels and then just hit them with a detailers spray everyonce in awhile (i use a small duster first, then detail spray them). this will keep them brand new all the time!
and will keep your rags from getting trashed as quickly...
Old 05-26-2004, 01:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last evening I completely washed and waxed the wheels. It was a very pleasurable experience and the 04 wheels look beautiful. Perhaps it's not brake dust I'm seeing but merely road dirt.