S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Why is Zaino/car washing soooo still so confusing????

Old 09-28-2003, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is Zaino/car washing soooo still so confusing????

I have a few Zaino questions...
Even after reading the posts, I'm still confused about what I should use to dust off my car after a drive, and remove the Zaino polish. I read that you MUST use microfiber so you don't leave swirl marks. The Zaino site says to use a 100% white cotton towel. Isn't that a no no? What Zaino products should I buy if I want to get a beautiful shine, but not spend all day doing it. I drive my car to work and back home, and don't need to make it look like it is going to a car show.

I want to spend my Saturday driving, not waxing!

AND if I need to dust off the car after a drive, what kind of towel should I use? Microfiber??

Wannabe said:
I would just start with z1 and z2, but i know others will disagree with me-
wash the car (if you have ever used wax or other synthetic then use dawn to wash with), dry and apply z1. dont take it off. apply very thin coat. then apply z2. let it cure about an hour or so while you detail the interior and the wheels, under the hood, etc... then remove it. then enjoy! the next time you wash the car, put another coat of z2.

What about the clay bar? How do you apply it? Do you need anything else along with the claybar? Lubricant?
Ugggggh!!!
Old 09-28-2003, 02:44 PM

Youre over thinking it dude - its just like a normal wax with a couple added steps, and layering. You can make it as simple or as complicated as you want. Goto www.zaino.com and completely read all the FAQ and stuff like that on the website. Good Luck!

Kevin
Old 09-28-2003, 03:23 PM

Skip the zaino and go with Klasse all-in-one and P21s
Old 09-28-2003, 03:59 PM

You can use microfiber if you want, I use 100% cotton Fieldcrest towels. To dust the car you should get a California duster. Don't use microfiber or cotton towels to dust off a car that has been driven. This could cause fine scratches (swirl marks) in the clear coat. Go here and read the instructions for first time application of Zaino.
Old 09-28-2003, 04:50 PM

Since I don't want to spend my days off trying to become a chemist by using Zaino,I use a detail spray every week after washing and Mothers Gold Class every other month.
Old 09-28-2003, 07:32 PM

Originally posted by Flyin Wedge
Since I don't want to spend my days off trying to become a chemist by using Zaino,I use a detail spray every week after washing and Mothers Gold Class every other month.
I used to think the same way after reading about Zaino until I tried it. It is super easy to use and after the first time you prep the car to use it, the rest is a breeze. I dawn'd, clay'd, dried, and then did zfx&z2/z6/zfx&z2/z6 the first time I put it on. It was a breeze but just took a little longer to make sure it was perfect before I applied the first coat of Zaino. Since the first application I have not washed my car one time. I just z6 it once or twice a week followed by a coat of z2 and then z6 again. I think I will wash it once a month just to get the other non-painted parts of the car clean but this is honestly the easiest and best looking product I have ever used. Once you read the faq's on zaino's site and actually use it, you'll realize how easy it really is. Oh yeah and I only use 100% cotton towels on mine and it works like a champ with no scratches. Everything I do is exactly how it was recommended to me from the local Zaino rep and I am very happy with the results.
Old 09-28-2003, 09:57 PM

Um... I use my old undershirts =P anything thats soft 100% cotton will do.

Pro detailing shops in LA use daipers (not disposable kind, basically again 100% cotton and soft).

Ok I'll try to space what I do out and be as simple as possible because the numbers can get confusing.

Basically for S2000's the only things that you should even bother considering are:
ZFX (some folks use Z1, ZFX is easier I'll explain later)
Z2 (Protectant wax)
Z5 (Anti Swirl marks for clear coats, we have clear coats)
Z6 (Polish spray that adds shine)
------ (above things that I buy from Zaino)------
Zaino's car wash (car shampoo/soap/wash, I forget the #)
Clay bars (Search for the clay bar thread its got bunch of info, I use a different brand)

I think thats basically it... (someone feel free to add to the list)

-----

What I do is, wash with dawn soap. Why? This takes off all old wax and all oils on the car. Basically strips the car of anything non paint/clearcoat (or one would hope). Problem is this doesnt get rid of the small particles of pollution and brake particles ect ect.

This is where clay barring comes in. After the car is washed, dry with lambskin or cotton rags. From there, spray on whatever lubrication the clay bar you buy recommends, and rub the bar back and forth and you will feel grit coming off the car. After claybarring the car is basically as close as it can get to being "naked".

Now, you have two choices. One you can buy Z1 and apply a full layer of that to the car, or you can put Z5 into a bottle (comes with ZFX kit) and put a few drops into the bottle with it, and follow directions (they are very clear) and shake the bottle and let it sit for a bit. From there apply the was in thin layers, thinner the better. If it looks like a misty layer thats probably good, if it looks moist, probably need to thin it out, to thin it out just spread it further across the car.

Let the wax sit, until it comes off like powdery. For buffing as I said before I just use 100% cotton stuff (got a big bag of it) and it works fine. If you rub the wax and it leaves a streak it needs to set more (something i learned just recently).

So buff the car out, and spray on Z6 on the car (it smells a little funky). Don't spray the entire car, spray one spray and buff it out with another clean rag (cotton or microfiber, just anything thats gentle and soft). Do the entire car like that.

Now you have a choice, if you want you can do another layer of Z5. What I might suggest get a really bright light, and shine it on the car if you see swirl marks still, go ahead and do another layer of Z5 again as thing as you can get. After that repeat with Z6 spray.

I don't know if doing it more than 3 times is worth it *shrug* some may disagree. Two may seem worth it though.

Now after that, apply a thin layer of Z2 (I believe you DO NOT have to do ZFX mixing again because it's already there, correct me if I'm wrong guys). Just like Z5, make it thin as possible and buff of just the same way.

After a layer of Z2, apply Z6 again. Basically after any layer of wax, do Z6.

Do Z2 as many layers as you like, I've seen people do 10 layers, me personally, I get lazy after 2-3 layers and think its enough and I'm happy with it.

From there you could get a natural wax and slap that on as a last layer to add a extra shine at the end. This layer will be the first layer to go off the car, but layering the protectants will protect the claybared surface and depending on how many layers you do the Z5 also.

Basically my thought is, this;

Naked car,
Anti Swirl mark wax
Protectant Wax
Any extra wax for looks (should be natural wax not synthetic like Zaino)

the natural waxes can be skipped and you will still have an awesome shine, but if you are insane go for it.

-------

Zaino isnt something you'll destroy your car doing, it might not get the 100% optimum shine. I didn't my first time, but you learn as you do it and as you sweat over the car and realize ways to improve. Only thing to be careful i guess is dont get it on your soft top.

Other than that, the directions do make sense on the website and they are also on the products.

If you got the cash and you want to buy microfiber you can. I have NEVER had problems nor has my family ever had problems using soft 100% cotton cloths. If you buy cotton rags, be sure to cut the edges off they have stitches and those can scratch sometimes.

Hope that helps-

EDIT: Also just a bit to add; a lot of the posts on here dont make sense until you actually do Zaino once. The majority of things I've learned from wannabe and the others on here has been afterwards because I see what Zaino does, looks like, and applies. You'll think "streak marks"? And will have no idea what people are talking about when it comes to the wax until you have played with it.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JNT Handyman
Wannabe said:
I would just start with z1 and z2, but i know others will disagree with me-
wash the car (if you have ever used wax or other synthetic then use dawn to wash with), dry and apply z1. dont take it off. apply very thin coat. then apply z2. let it cure about an hour or so while you detail the interior and the wheels, under the hood, etc... then remove it. then enjoy! the next time you wash the car, put another coat of z2.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

btw, classic motoring ( properautocare.com ) is a great place for detail info...
their test for needing to clay is:
" Try this test. Wash and dry your vehicle. Place your hand inside a plastic sandwich bag and lightly run your fingertips over your car's paint. It should be smooth-as-glass. If the paint has a rough, gritty or pebble-like feel, you have some type of contamination on the paint. Polishing will not remove this contamination. Remove paint contamination using one of these clay bars prior to waxing. "
Old 09-29-2003, 08:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think it's confusing at all. IMO it's just a more time consuming, but the result are ALL worth it

Quick Reply: Why is Zaino/car washing soooo still so confusing????