S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

When should one NOT to use Klasse AIO?

Old 08-07-2006, 05:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default When should one NOT to use Klasse AIO?

I'm a bit confused about when to use (or not to use) Klasse's AIO.

It it my understanding that the AIO offers some minor polishing properties, some chemical cleaning properties (which should remove minor oxidation as well as other waxes/sealants/fillers), and a layer of sealant. Hence, all-in-one.

It is also my understanding that the Klasse SG is just a sealant.

I'm curious if there are times that Klasse AIO is just a pointless extra step, for instance after polishing.

Here are my questions:

Is it necessary to use a coat of AIO to bond the SG to the paint (like using Z-1 before using Z-2 or other Zaino products to properly bond the sealant to the paint)?

After polishing with a product like 3M Perfect It II (which I believe has fillers to hide swirls), would using AIO just remove these fillers? Would this be a scenario where one would want to skip the AIO and go straight to SG?

How about when using polishes such as Menserna Final Polish or Poorboy's SSR1, which don't seem to use fillers, does the paint benefit at all from the cleaning or polishing abilities of the AIO? Is it just better to skip straight to the SG?

Thanks in advance for any help...
This has got to be one of the most informative wash-n-was boards on a forums dedicated to a specific car. I'm learning a ton.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

welcome to the board- post up some pics after your process and i will badge you!!
---------

here you go- everything you always wanted to know about the klasse twins:

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/klass...wax-guide.html

if your swirls arent really bad, the klasse twins will do the job- no other swirl remover or glaze needed...
if they are pretty bad, then you would do a real swirl removal (not a glaze) when using klasse.
if you were using zaino, you could use a glaze and then the zaino.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:14 AM

Thanks wanabe,

Couple more questions...
The S (red) really does't have many swirls (accept in a couple spots). I think the Klasse twins will be all I need there.

I also have a black car which has what I would consider minor swirls for a 6yo black car, but they are certainly more defined than those on the S. I'm not sure Klasse on it's own will do it. I recently purchased a PC7336 and I'm about to pick up a set of the Edge 2000 6" DA pads. This will be my first experience with the PC.

I've seen where you and others have recommended 3M Perfect It II (for dark cars). After using this would I still use Klasse AIO, or go straight to SG (since the Perfect It has fillers)?

Rather than the 3M product, would you recommend something else that doesn't have fillers? I've been reading up on Menzerna, Poorboy's, and Optimum in addition to the 3M products.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

one of the reasons that i like the 3m is that i couple it with zaino and p21s. an incredible combo on black. and in the article that i sent you about klasse (in my post above), the author (david) mentions that klasse was rated #2-
...#1 was zaino in that report. if you already have the klasse, go with it.

but i wouldnt use the 3m with klasse... in your situation, i would either just try the klasse (twins- meaning both) on a small portion of that black car (maybe the rear deck) and see how it does. if you like it, go for the rest of the car. if not, then any of the swirl removers that you mentioned would be good choices. the article mentions sonus and i like their product too.

btw, i would use the pc with the klasse- so you will still get to use the new toy, even if you dont have to do a real swirl removal!!

spend some time reading the article in my previous post- it is full of tips and ideas. and especially in the machine use part near the bottom...
Old 08-07-2006, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can go straight to SG if you feel your surface is "perfect" enough, but most people tend to use AIO rather than SG for it's ease of application/removal if they are only using one of the two since AIO has some cleaning abilities. Also, if you use AIO with the green edge 2k pad you should get some decent swirl removal (pad doing most of the work)... just don't do what I did... put too much AIO on the pad. (3 small 1 inch lines around the edge is all you need per section).

Honestly, when I first started out I loved SG, but as I am getting more experience with all these other products, I find myself skipping the SG step and just doing a wax on top of AIO instead. Much easier and less aggravating. If you mess up SG application... there will be hell to pay unlike AIO which goes on and off with ease. I've even ran into trouble applying SG using the wipe on wipe off method due to humidity. That stuff really is finiky.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by wanabe,Aug 7 2006, 11:39 AM
one of the reasons that i like the 3m is that i couple it with zaino and p21s. an incredible combo on black. and in the article that i sent you about klasse (in my post above), the author (david) mentions that klasse was rated #2-
...#1 was zaino in that report. if you already have the klasse, go with it.

but i wouldnt use the 3m with klasse... in your situation, i would either just try the klasse (twins- meaning both) on a small portion of that black car (maybe the rear deck) and see how it does. if you like it, go for the rest of the car. if not, then any of the swirl removers that you mentioned would be good choices. the article mentions sonus and i like their product too.

btw, i would use the pc with the klasse- so you will still get to use the new toy, even if you dont have to do a real swirl removal!!

spend some time reading the article in my previous post- it is full of tips and ideas. and especially in the machine use part near the bottom...
Great info! Thanks.

I've actually read that article you posted several times before, and I'm sure I'll read it several more times. Actually, I've been all over probably the top four/five detail sites listed in the sticky.

Actually, I don't have Klasse as of yet. I've struggled choosing between Klasse and Zaino. In the end I'll try them both, but as I'm picking up a LOT of other new detailing stuff, I can only choose one right now. Either way, I was planning on topping with P21S based on many reviews I've read.

Just out of curiosity... have you used that same combo (3M/Zaino/P21S) on a red car?

Old 08-07-2006, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by blurnj13,Aug 7 2006, 11:54 AM
You can go straight to SG if you feel your surface is "perfect" enough, but most people tend to use AIO rather than SG for it's ease of application/removal if they are only using one of the two since AIO has some cleaning abilities. Also, if you use AIO with the green edge 2k pad you should get some decent swirl removal (pad doing most of the work)... just don't do what I did... put too much AIO on the pad. (3 small 1 inch lines around the edge is all you need per section).
blurnj13, thanks so much for the info.

[QUOTE]Honestly, when I first started out I loved SG, but as I am getting more experience with all these other products, I find myself skipping the SG step and just doing a wax on top of AIO instead.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=00CivicSi,Aug 7 2006, 12:40 PM]
I've certainly read that SG can be a bit difficult to use, but I'm a bit nervous when you say "hell to pay."
Old 08-07-2006, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by blurnj13,Aug 7 2006, 12:58 PM
Exaggeration, but for detail nuts, anything not perfect will annoy you. You can get some nasty hazing with SG if you mess up application which seemingly goes away on the next wash, but when you go to apply wax on top... the nastiest hazing ever, which takes much much longer to go away depending on the wax you used. I had to re-PC the areas with AIO to get rid of it sooner. Now I'm just doing AIO and wax on top... much easier to manage if you have a busy schedule.

I'm 99% sure it was the humidity which caused the SG application problem since I was doing WOWO at night, so if you have a cool garage to work in or do it in the fall or spring SG should work great.
Great! Thanks again for the information.

What you describe is similar to what I've read other places. I'd like to try SG for the added protection and because I've read that it enhances the shine, but I'll certainly keep the difficulty in mind if I try Klasse.