S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

When painting FRONT FENDERS, is blending necessary

Old 04-10-2006, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When painting FRONT FENDERS, is blending necessary

I need my front fenders repainted due to extensive rock chips. However, i dont' need my front bumper painted because i have clear bra on it.

I recently talked to a bodyshop and they said I needed to leave my car there because they have to blend the entire car.. bumper/doors/hood to match fenders...

I think this is a bit excessive just to paint fenders... Is this really necessary? Can't they use the gas door to match color?

BTW, my color is just WHITE.. just regular WHITE, not pearl or anything.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about whether blending's strictly necessary, but at least leave your car for them to match against.

I did exactly what you're proposing -- I left my gas filler cap for a well-known, reputable local paint shop to match a new hood against. The result was pitifully bad; the color mismatch is pretty obvious outdoors or under fluorescent light.

Leave your car behind, and take the bus for a few days -- you'll hate yourself otherwise.

Steve
Old 04-10-2006, 01:12 PM

To make it look as good as possible, it needs to be blended, but the whole car seems a little excessive.

With that said, if you just had them paint the fenders it would look great in passing for from a slight distance. It depends on how good the rest of the cars paint is holding up as well.

I say just paint the fenders and save yourself a chunk of change. If you have an air compressor already, buy a gun, get a shop to match the paint, and do it yourself...

EDIT: What kind of car is it? I surely dont think blending is worth it on an older car...
Old 04-10-2006, 01:22 PM

You say it's just white but, have you ever painted a white wall in your house after they have matched it?
The colors are designed to be close but, are only a blendable match based on the formula. Additinal tinting may be needed. When they paint a whole car in the factory they m,ix huge vats and dont care if the last car matches this next car. and will use multiple manufacturers in some cases....
Here's the next issue.. some clears have more or less tin in the chemical properties... some clearcoats are actually more yellow than others which is another problem.... You could get lucky but, do you want to risk it?
Old 04-10-2006, 01:40 PM

After 4 years with a white Prelude I can tell you that you have to blend.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:58 PM

White is one of the hardest colors to match.

If you car was "just" white, it would look like your washer and drier.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:59 PM

Any decent bodyshop should only need to blend into the hood and doors to get the color right; it seems a tad excessive to do the entire car for two panels. I'd double check with them, but ultimately, they're going to do it their way. As long as you're happy with the results, it doesn't matter how it gets done.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:58 PM
Former Moderator

No, it does not, and SHOULD NOT be blended. Solid colors should NEVER be blended. Suzuka, Silverstone, Rio/Spa, and Sebring should be blended to get a proper match. (the color of the paint is not why you blend....its the distance between the flakes.)

Your paint should match perfectly if your shop has a good mixer.

Again, DO NOT BLEND NON METALLIC COLORS. GPW, BERLINA, and NFR should NOT be blended.

Ive discussed this time and time again with my painter....and he told me people who blend solid colors are clueless, or just trying to get more money out of you.

The fact that its the fenders doesnt matter. Most people do not understand why paint is actually blended. It has nothing to do with the color. The paint in the gun is the same color as the car....but not blended (metallic paint) will look off....why? Because it is impossible for a shop to replicate the concentration of metallic particles in the paint....as opposed to factory. If Honda OEM paint has 1/1000000 of an inch between flakes, and the shop has 1/500000, the paint will look "off" in certain lighting conditions.

This is not an issue with solid color paints. The reason why most say that non-blended solid colors dont match....is simple....its old paint vs new paint. Older paint looks worn. To solve this, a good shop will just buff-blend the parts, and bring out the original luster.

Again, blending IS NOT used for color....thus, impossible (its done, but it doesnt do anything) to do on solid colors. It is just a trick for you to spend more money.

Ive had my car in the shop a few times, and ALL times, the match was flawless.

Just go to a shop with good Dupont paint (dupont whites and reds are better than PPG) and a good reputation. I would NOT take it to your shop, since they want to blend, youll say no, do the work, and prove to you that blending was needed. (they will not do a good job on purpose).

You dont have to listen to me, but talk to a shop that is trustworthy, and they will tell you the same thing I just did.

*edit....just noticed we are NOT talking about an s2000. If we are talking about an AE86....if the paint is good everywhere else, and not the fenders, AND you have a code....NO BLEND.

If the paint is so so on the car, blending will not do anything, and the only way to blend newely painted fenders with a so so car is to blend the whole car....which is pretty much repainting the car.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with NFRs2000NYC.

I had my Cwest CF fenders reinforced and painted and it was close to $2000, if done correctly, for very thin CF front fenders. They had to blend them. There was no other way. Otherwise the doors would be a faded Spa and the front fenders would be a greenish/Spa. Cant have that.

For solid colors with no pearl, no blending is necessary.. 3 stage paints such as Suzuka, Silverstone, and Spa/Rio, will have to be blended. The back of the doors should be the cutoff for the blend. That should do the trick.

Good luck.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC,Apr 10 2006, 04:58 PM
No, it does not, and SHOULD NOT be blended. Solid colors should NEVER be blended. Suzuka, Silverstone, Rio/Spa, and Sebring should be blended to get a proper match. (the color of the paint is not why you blend....its the distance between the flakes.)

Your paint should match perfectly if your shop has a good mixer.

Again, DO NOT BLEND NON METALLIC COLORS. GPW, BERLINA, and NFR should NOT be blended.

Ive discussed this time and time again with my painter....and he told me people who blend solid colors are clueless, or just trying to get more money out of you.

The fact that its the fenders doesnt matter. Most people do not understand why paint is actually blended. It has nothing to do with the color. The paint in the gun is the same color as the car....but not blended (metallic paint) will look off....why? Because it is impossible for a shop to replicate the concentration of metallic particles in the paint....as opposed to factory. If Honda OEM paint has 1/1000000 of an inch between flakes, and the shop has 1/500000, the paint will look "off" in certain lighting conditions.

This is not an issue with solid color paints. The reason why most say that non-blended solid colors dont match....is simple....its old paint vs new paint. Older paint looks worn. To solve this, a good shop will just buff-blend the parts, and bring out the original luster.

Again, blending IS NOT used for color....thus, impossible (its done, but it doesnt do anything) to do on solid colors. It is just a trick for you to spend more money.

Ive had my car in the shop a few times, and ALL times, the match was flawless.

Just go to a shop with good Dupont paint (dupont whites and reds are better than PPG) and a good reputation. I would NOT take it to your shop, since they want to blend, youll say no, do the work, and prove to you that blending was needed. (they will not do a good job on purpose).

You dont have to listen to me, but talk to a shop that is trustworthy, and they will tell you the same thing I just did.

*edit....just noticed we are NOT talking about an s2000. If we are talking about an AE86....if the paint is good everywhere else, and not the fenders, AND you have a code....NO BLEND.

If the paint is so so on the car, blending will not do anything, and the only way to blend newely painted fenders with a so so car is to blend the whole car....which is pretty much repainting the car.
VERY informative.. Thanks again.. You guys are the best!

As well as you JsAp1. The best!

Quick Reply: When painting FRONT FENDERS, is blending necessary