S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

wheel and wheel well cleaning

Old 09-10-2006, 04:22 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks mikey c!

harpoon- those are drilled and slotted cad plated from spugen... about two years old now and i can not seem to be able to get them back to the really new look- when new they were all silver- now they are a bit off silver. have not painted them, just cleaned them.

this should be where i got them:
http://www.teamspugen.com/product_info.php...&products_id=72
Old 09-11-2006, 08:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wanabe,Sep 10 2006, 12:31 AM
and my assistant posed for this one
Excellent writeup!

I learn so much here.

So how much does your assistant help?

My cat is more of a supervisor. He watches every job I do inside the house as if he's gonna tell me what I screwed up. And when I'm in the garage he'll sit on top of the refrigerator such that he can look out through the window in the door from the kitchen and see what I'm up to.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:37 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Don't forget the jack stands!
Old 09-11-2006, 08:40 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by 00CivicSi,Sep 11 2006, 08:14 AM
Excellent writeup!

I learn so much here.

So how much does your assistant help?

My cat is more of a supervisor. He watches every job I do inside the house as if he's gonna tell me what I screwed up. And when I'm in the garage he'll sit on top of the refrigerator such that he can look out through the window in the door from the kitchen and see what I'm up to.
yup- assistants are very important in the detailing process!!
i asked mine to bring over the trolley jack for that photo, and you can see he brought his bone instead- good help is so hard to find!!
he does chase squirrels and so he keeps me safe from them while i am under the car!
Old 09-11-2006, 08:47 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Conedodger,Sep 11 2006, 08:37 AM
Don't forget the jack stands!
interesting... i do the wheels one at a time and dont even raise the entire front or rear- when i change the oil i put the car on jack stands (to make it level), but for taking the wheels off one at a time, i only raise one wheel at a time.
probably faster to put the car up on jack stands and just do all 4 at once. i feel safer tightening the wheels with only one off at a time. i raise the car part way and with the wheel still on the ground loosen the lugs, then jack it up to take it off.
do you loosen or tighten the wheels first and then put it on stands?
Old 09-11-2006, 10:30 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I raise the car slightly to take the weight off the studs when I loosen lug nuts, then raise the tire off the ground to complete the job.

I'm more worried about the jack failing while your hands/head are in the wheel well detailing it. Do you sit on the ground with your feet under the car when you are doing this?
Old 09-11-2006, 11:08 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

[QUOTE=Conedodger,Sep 11 2006, 10:30 AM] I raise the car slightly to take the weight off the studs when I loosen lug nuts, then raise the tire off the ground to complete the job.

I'm more worried about the jack failing while your hands/head are in the wheel well detailing it.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:45 AM

Sure is nice to have a couple of sets of wheels. I wash street tires & wheels when the race tires are on the car and wash race wheels when I am about to have new tires mounted.

For jacking, I use a floor jack and a block that I made to keep from bending the lip on the side sills. Jacking point is about even with the mirrors. That picks up both wheels on that side of car. I loosen lug nuts about 1/2 turn with tires touching concrete and then jack up the car and remove nuts with battery drill motor. I do not use rattle wrench because I do not like the way it beats over the corners of the lug nuts.

Nuts get put back on by hand about three threads to make sure that they are not cross threaded and then tightened with drill motor. Then let car down until tires touch concrete. When tires touch the concrete, I use a torque wrench to finish tightening them. I do not drop car completely until nuts have been torqued.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:16 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

thanks panterakitty- i need to use a torque wrench...
too lazy, but you got me thinking that i should go check the torque. (i hand tighten them, then take the car for a drive and retighten them).
do you recall what you torque the wheels to?
Old 09-11-2006, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by wanabe,Sep 11 2006, 12:16 PM
thanks panterakitty- i need to use a torque wrench...
too lazy, but you got me thinking that i should go check the torque. (i hand tighten them, then take the car for a drive and retighten them).
do you recall what you torque the wheels to?
Damn!! You made me go out and look at the Owner's Manual!!! It is 80 ft/lb. Just what I have been using. I think that is pretty much standard for 12mm studs.

Quick Reply: wheel and wheel well cleaning