S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Wheel Shield? Or Similar Products

Old 10-24-2007, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FMINUS,Oct 24 2007, 10:15 PM
I use JS109 on the wheels. It doesnt prevent the dust from building but it does make cleaning a snap. Just rinse off.

I hope the Autobahn will keep the dust off for me. Its about $35 bucks for 50ml
Im going to try it over JS109 and see how it works. If this doesnt work, Im going to give up on wheel sealants.
So JS109 works best as a sealant for the rim? How long does it last for?

I'm not bothered by dust build up on the rims; I just want to protect the rims from etching by brake dust and other dust etching into the metal. As long as the coating stays on and I can easily wipe/rinse off all the dust every once in a while I'll be happy.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FMINUS,Oct 24 2007, 10:15 PM
I use JS109 on the wheels. It doesnt prevent the dust from building but it does make cleaning a snap. Just rinse off.

I hope the Autobahn will keep the dust off for me. Its about $35 bucks for 50ml
Im going to try it over JS109 and see how it works. If this doesnt work, Im going to give up on wheel sealants.
Screw that, after reading this I won't bother anymore.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:45 AM

diabolus2k ,

The question is do you want to replace clutches or brake pads? If you want to slow the car, sure you can use the engine, but brakes are much more effective, cheaper to replace, easier on the drivetrain bits, and less prone to overrevs (read replace engine). Wear particles from the brakes get on your wheels; wear particles from the engine swim around in the oil. The clutch dusts in the bell housing, which you won't have to worry about cleaning until you have to replace it (much sooner than you would if the brakes were used to slow the car though).

Seems like it's meant for the engine to accelerate the car, and the brakes to slow it.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:28 AM
Former Moderator

I have polycharged detail spray I use on my wheels. Since I QD my car a lot it works best for me. I haven't had much luck getting any sealant or wax to be long lasting or much of a help getting brake dust off.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There a a few products (Dupont comes to mind) that contain Teflon which is the same stuff used for non- stick pots 'n pans.
It absolutly should work at eliminating any dust from adhering to the wheels which is not the same as dust "settleing" on your wheels.
Ideally, a blast from a high pressure hose will knock off the majority of dirt and dust.
The only question is- how well will it work and for how long?
Old 10-25-2007, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by s98d7fs,Oct 25 2007, 06:45 AM
diabolus2k ,

The question is do you want to replace clutches or brake pads? If you want to slow the car, sure you can use the engine, but brakes are much more effective, cheaper to replace, easier on the drivetrain bits, and less prone to overrevs (read replace engine). Wear particles from the brakes get on your wheels; wear particles from the engine swim around in the oil. The clutch dusts in the bell housing, which you won't have to worry about cleaning until you have to replace it (much sooner than you would if the brakes were used to slow the car though).

Seems like it's meant for the engine to accelerate the car, and the brakes to slow it.
I don't see a reason why you would have to replace the clutch any sooner if you are properly rev-matching your downshifts? And I don't see what's wrong with using the engine to assist in braking? If the engine can handle accelerating the car, why couldn't it handle decelerating it? I'm not saying to use engine braking only, either. It should be used in conjunction with your brakes. Even the owner's manual recommends it--it's harmless if done properly! This issue has been discussed multiple times in the UTH forum, do a quick search there and you'll see what I mean.

Sorry for the OT post, just wanted to clear things up before people start thinking that engine braking is "bad" for the car...
Old 10-25-2007, 09:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you aren't downshifting you aren't driving your car.
Even if you had an automatic, downshifting would also be automatic .When only using the brake the car would automatically select lower gearing appropiate for your speed..
Old 10-25-2007, 10:57 AM
Former Moderator

[QUOTE=JackS,Oct 25 2007, 01:11 PM] There a a few products (Dupont comes to mind) that contain Teflon which is the same stuff used for non- stick pots 'n pans.
It absolutly should work at eliminating any dust from adhering to the wheels which is not the same as dust "settleing"
Old 10-25-2007, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Ubetit,Oct 25 2007, 11:57 AM
First it is not made by Dupont. A company called Tenneco licensed the Dupont and Teflon logo. You did exactly what the makers want your mind to do, make a leap of faith that because it contains Teflon, nothing will stick to it. Do a little reading on what it takes to get Teflon to bond... it's 680 degrees F
Don't be fooled by the word "teflon" on any detailing products. It's purely marketing.

There's really nothing out there that will prevent brake dust from accumulating on your wheels. Waxes and sealants will help protect them and make the dust easier to clean off. The only way to truly prevent it is to buy a car that offers ceramic composite brakes (e.g. Porsche, Ferrari, etc.). They don't dust at all
Old 10-25-2007, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by diabolus2k,Oct 25 2007, 12:10 PM
There's really nothing out there that will prevent brake dust from accumulating on your wheels. Waxes and sealants will help protect them and make the dust easier to clean off.
Protection is all I want. My only concern is etching. I couldn't care less if my rims get covered in brake dust; I only care if the sealant isn't good enough to provide a barrier against the dust etching into the rim until the next wash.

It seems like JS109 does the job? I'll probably go pick some up and coat the rims.

Quick Reply: Wheel Shield? Or Similar Products