S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Wheel Cleaning Questions

Old 04-05-2003, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Cleaning Questions

I did a search and couldn't find any answers to my questions. Can anyone help me out?

1. I can't find an easy way to clean around the lug nuts. I've tried a toothbrush, but the head is too big to easily fit in the little cavities. Do you have a better method?

2. Today I tried to clean the inside surfaces of my wheels with a rag and my car wash soap. I couldn't get the rag in there very well and could only clean part of the inside. What do you do?

Thanks everyone!
Old 04-05-2003, 12:42 PM

Spray some WD-40 on a Q-Tip,clean around the lugs,then wash the car.
Old 04-06-2003, 04:51 AM

Originally posted by Flyin Wedge
Spray some WD-40 on a Q-Tip,clean around the lugs,then wash the car.
I hadn't thought about a Q-tip. Thanks! Anyone have ideas for the second question?
Old 04-06-2003, 12:16 PM

Junior, have you tried any of the car care catalogs/online sites like Proper or Griot's Garage? They, of course, sell special cleaning tools made just for wheels.
Old 04-06-2003, 07:10 PM

No need to order onlne and wait for it. Just go to Pepboys and pick up one of these babies for a couple of bucks. As you can see, it has a brush side and a sponge side for easier cleaning.

Old 04-06-2003, 09:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could pull an "Airgate", and remove the wheels to properly clean them. If you are interested in really cleaning them easily, remove the wheels. I must admit that I have done this on several occasions and to me, it's worth a few minutes to remove the wheels to clean them.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

and as boiler suggests, if you pull the wheels you can probably get them like new so that they wont have to be pulled again for a long time.
once they are perfectly cleaned a large head brush should work fine (i also use various products safe on clear coated wheels that spray on and disolve brake dust, etc). i usually use a separate bucket for the brush and wheel cleaning if just using regular car shampoo.
my normal routine is to wash the wheels with the separate bucket of car shampoo and every few months to use a wheel cleaner. i also wipe down the wheels in between washings with the same detail spray that i use on the body and an old "wheel rag" (clean, but stained)...
Old 04-07-2003, 04:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i use Meguiar's Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner.. it works great and is easy to use.. just spray ur rims with water, spray on the Meguiar's, let it sit for 15 sec, then wash it off.. then use a towel and clean it off.. gets the dirt and brake dust off really good..
Old 04-09-2003, 05:48 PM

On a similar note... i've noticed the brake discs appear to have "rust" on the sides? Is that right? Am I missing something?
Old 04-09-2003, 06:04 PM

Received 1,398 Likes on 837 Posts

Or you could pull three lugs on each wheel, at positions 12, 5, and 7 o'clock, clean and re-install them, then do the remaining 2. this will eliminate the need to futz with jacking/pulling the wheels.

Quick Reply: Wheel Cleaning Questions