S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Wheel Cleaning Help

Old 07-15-2004, 02:55 PM
KLN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Cleaning Help

I just washed my Bronze Volks with some Eagle One All Wheel & Tire cleaner. BIG MISTAKE!!! Well, now my rims look like crap because either the cleaner left a nasty white residue on my rims or it etched the clear coat. The rims are spotty and cloudy with a whitish stain almost. I've tried goo-gone and detail spray but nothing seems to work. When it's wet it looks nice and shiney, but then when the wheel gets dry it looks like crap

Wanabe suggested:
Wash the wheels again with a good car shampoo and then a non-acidic wheel cleaner. Maybe a light aggresive polish and then re-wax the wheels.

He said if the cleaner etched into the clear coat then i would have to use a aggressive polish and possibly re-clearcoat my rims

Do any of you have any other suggesstions on what might help me get rid of this problem? and maybe some non-acidic wheel cleaners that i can pick up at the local walmart or automotive store?

Oh yeah, one more thing....DO NOT USE EAGLE ONE WHEEL AND TIRE CLEANER ON EXPENSIVE RIMS!!!
Old 07-15-2004, 04:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

kln-
good question!
this is what i meant to say:

'i would first wash one wheel again with a high quality car shampoo (the stuff you use on the body) and would use a wheel brush, but be gentle.'
'rinse and dry it (you can try with a wet wheel too, some cleaners want the wheel wet- read the label).' 'then use a non-acid based cleaner for wheels (p21s makes one for example).,if the stuff is still there let me know. (you might need a paint cleaner or other mild polish). if its gone, then do the same on the other wheels.' my guess is that you will need to polish them, but i am hoping that you used a small amount of product.
'when you get them back to new, be sure to put a good coat of wax on them.'
'you should know that there is a chance that the wheels are etched and you would then have to use an aggressive polish and maybe have them reclear coated.. but my fingers are crossed that this isnt the case.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:20 PM

Are there any wheel/tire cleaners to def. stay away from?
Old 07-15-2004, 04:34 PM

I've use Eagle one A to Z on my wheels with no problem.

One important thing I learned from others mistakes. Don't spray it on warm or hot wheels and do not leave it sit. I spray Ato Z count to 30 agitate if necessary the rinse off. I do this on cool dry tires and wheels before I wash the car. Ato Z is supposedly non acidic and a very strong cleaner. I tried based on posts on Autopia.

I would try Ato Z if Wannabe's suggestions don't work.

Ive also used the product you did ... I didn't like it. Not because of the issues you had but because it did not clean the wheels good.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:00 PM
KLN

I think i used the same cleaner as you. It's called "Eagle One All Wheel and Tire Cleaner A2Z". It's an orange bottle right?

Here is the website with the product, it actually says "Acid Free". But then on the bottom of the page it says *Warning, do not use on some Anodized wheels* Aren't bronze volks anodized?

http://www.eagleone.com/_products/1,1020626.asp
Old 07-15-2004, 05:04 PM
KLN

Eagle one says there A2Z wheel cleaner is acid free, but after reading on autopia-carcare they say it contains acid

[QUOTE]Acid-based Cleaners -- These are widely used by detailers, car dealers and car washes who need to clean wheels in the shortest possible time or with the least amount of effort. Acid-based cleaners are typically 2% solutions of oxalic, phosphoric, and hydrochloric acid. Eagle One All Finish Wheel Cleaner is an example of an acid-based cleaner. While acid-based cleaners pack the greatest cleaning punch, they can easily etch the surface of your wheel if allowed to dry. Care must be taken not to use acid-based cleaners on wheels with pitted or chipped surfaces. The acid will migrate into any fissures and accentuate flaking and peeling of surface coatings.[]/qoute]
Old 07-16-2004, 07:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

from your recent pm, sounds like your wheels might not be etched- that would be good news... so info on polishes:

http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=17
note that dave calls this polishing paint, but its the same idea for your wheels.
i would likely try a something like 1z, which he talks about as a low abrasive polish. if that doesnt work, 1z makes a light rubbing compound (also on the above link). work the products well- its not like waxing. with wax, you apply and remove. with polish, you apply and work and work and work the product until it either disappears or hazes over. remove it (buff it) immediately after polishing. if it works, then do the other wheels and then again, be sure to wax or finish them with some protection.

good luck and post back results!
Old 07-16-2004, 10:38 AM
KLN

After a closer examination i believe my rims are etched. The fronts of the spokes seem dull compared to the side of the spokes where the wheel cleaner barely touch. I've tried lots of car polishes and it brings back some of the shine, but then quickly dulls again when it completey gets dry.

Eagle One is going to hear a little bitching from me if they ever pick up their technical help line
Old 07-16-2004, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by KLN,Jul 16 2004, 01:00 AM
I think i used the same cleaner as you. It's called "Eagle One All Wheel and Tire Cleaner A2Z". It's an orange bottle right?

Here is the website with the product, it actually says "Acid Free". But then on the bottom of the page it says *Warning, do not use on some Anodized wheels* Aren't bronze volks anodized?

http://www.eagleone.com/_products/1,1020626.asp
yes, this is what I use. Unfortunately I do not know what your wheels are.
Old 07-17-2004, 05:27 AM

You should never have to use anything more then soap, water and wax to maintain your wheels. Wheels should be treated the same as the finish on your car. I doubt anyone would spray that stuff on their paint. You can not trust any of these cleaners to not damage your wheels. These products are made to make it easier to clean them. Take the minute that it takes to clean your wheels correctly by hand and you wont have any problems. As for getting yours back to new .. You probably did in fact haze over the clear coat. I would try a good cleaner wax / polish or lite compound to try to get the shine back into the clear.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: Wheel Cleaning Help