S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Wheel cleaning

Old 01-03-2008, 06:18 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Wheel cleaning

please see this link that will direct you to S2KI Metro with pics and an explanation.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=554739

My Acura rims are driving me crazy, figured there are a few detailing nuts in here to help.

First the rims dust like crazy, it only takes around three days and i look like one of those guys that never takes care of his rims.

This winter i just can't keep up with them and i'm getting build up, i take it to the car wash a few times a month (i know but it's new and they do a good job, too dam cold to hang outside and do this myself).

I tried blue coral but it's not enough to get through and i'm afraid my rims will get to the point where i can't keep up with the build up, also use a soft brush but again i can't get through the build up.

Rims are stock A-spec alloys with i assume a clear coat, i know this is beyond the spray on and hose off situation so i'm looking for some way to brush or scrub the rims without scratching them.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

auto or manual tranny?

i know its a strange question- if manual, you can control your wheel dust/damage by engine braking. btw, bmws are the worst- on my wife's i use her "tiptronic"- so when i drive the wheels stay clean. when she does they get trashed within a few days.

best way to deal with the grime, and to make the wheels better than new, is off of the car- we have a great thread on this in our how-to section!

once the wheels are clean, put a good synthetic protectant on them. at least 2 to 3 coats. and they need cure time. i then use a wax on top- wheel wax makes a combo that i have used, but i like just plain old carnauba. wax wont live on your wheels long, but it keeps off the dust that you get from driving a car that has had wet brakes as they dry.

then from that point on its maintenance- i use an interior duster (smaller than the exterior dusters) to dust the wheels when they start to show dust. this duster is only used on wheels. then hit
the wheels with a detailers spray. i like to use sprays with protectants in them for this purpose.

again, if you can engine brake that helps a lot. i enjoy engine braking (you have to drive the car instead of being a passenger in the drivers seat, like my wife!!)

finally, the how to section with the wheel cleaning thread:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=221878
Old 01-03-2008, 09:19 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Ha!

it's auto but i have the manumatic so i down shift all the time and even use the "E" brake when the rims are slean just to save them... yeah i'm a nut.

thanks for the feedback...

The link above will take you to pics of the rims.