S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

What's Your Favourite Leather Conditioner \Protectant

Old 04-15-2011, 06:16 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Favorites, there are actually two. One would be Lexol, easy to apply and long lasting. Or Connolly leather care, if you've ever had any old cars with leather this was and still is the benchmark product. Requires more work than Lexol, but still is the #1 product in my mind.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:11 PM

Received 3,762 Likes on 2,653 Posts

after doing a bit of reading on some of the supplier sites with different products I've come to the conclusion that we have coated leather on our oem seats. I did the water droplet test and it sat on the leather forever, after removing the water drop there was no absorbption into our seat covering.

Seeing that I think all of the top end leather products such as Leatherique and Connelly and Townsend won't do much on our seats as they won't absorb into the fibres. I think it's best to use a product that is better designed for coated leather and offers some UV protection and is also good on vinyl. I think that explains how some guys using 303 aerospace end up with great looking seats despite being primarily a vinyl product. I think I may try going with Lexol and finishing up with 303 for some UV protection, or possibly going with Pinnacle or Einszett. Four Star sounds pretty good as well. Reading through Einszett's literature it seems to be geared towards coated leather more than some of the higher end leather feeding type of products. This stuff can get confusing.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:15 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Funny My '07's seats absorb whatever I apply to them.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
Funny My '07's seats absorb whatever I apply to them.
yeah 07 seats look to be less finished than ap1 seats, more analine leather as opposed to pigmented or semi-amanline seats on ap1's. 07 seats look like more traditional leather. Try the water test on your seats sometime and see if it absorbs. I left water droplets on my various parts of my seats for 15 minutes and it won't absorb or cause a wet spot. It'd be interesting to see if your seats will absorb water drops or not.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just purchased Zymol... i'll let yall know how it works
Old 04-16-2011, 02:18 PM

I have 01 OEM seats and I use Lexol. I'm assuming my seats have just become old, but the seats soak up the Lexol pretty good. Of course I'm a "always top down" person, so that could have something to do with it. But my vote is for Lexol - very good product for long lasting results.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Keatre
I have 01 OEM seats and I use Lexol. I'm assuming my seats have just become old, but the seats soak up the Lexol pretty good. Of course I'm a "always top down" person, so that could have something to do with it. But my vote is for Lexol - very good product for long lasting results.
since using Lexol have your seats held up to the effects of the sun given you are top down frequently ?
Old 04-16-2011, 07:32 PM

currently i'm using an armoral leather protectant. it seems to be working fine for me. when this bottle runs out i'm going to go for a bottle of lexol and see how that is. my choice is usually limited on products cause i buy locally from advanced auto
Old 04-17-2011, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
since using Lexol have your seats held up to the effects of the sun given you are top down frequently ?
Yes, quite well. The leather still looks good, other than minor scratches/stretches from me. I would say the real problem is more of dirt than sun damage. The leather is still in great condition, but it gets dirty pretty quickly and thats when the leather starts getting rigid (and just looks disgusting.).

EDIT: I also tried Zaino's a few years ago, and the results were surprisingly good - but I stick with Lexol on the interior and Zaino on the exterior. Half because it's easier to obtain Lexol, but in my opinion, the Lexol leaves the leather feeling more...original?...and the Zaino was more of a "bring back to life with a shine" product -- if that makes any sense, haha.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Keatre
Originally Posted by JFUSION' timestamp='1302995770' post='20473986
Yes, quite well. The leather still looks good, other than minor scratches/stretches from me. I would say the real problem is more of dirt than sun damage. The leather is still in great condition, but it gets dirty pretty quickly and thats when the leather starts getting rigid (and just looks disgusting.).

EDIT: I also tried Zaino's a few years ago, and the results were surprisingly good - but I stick with Lexol on the interior and Zaino on the exterior. Half because it's easier to obtain Lexol, but in my opinion, the Lexol leaves the leather feeling more...original?...and the Zaino was more of a "bring back to life with a shine" product -- if that makes any sense, haha.

thanks for that reply, I am also considering Lexol or Zaino, did you notice any difference in softness between the two products ,either one made the leather feel softer than the other ?

Quick Reply: What's Your Favourite Leather Conditioner \Protectant