S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

What's up with the dawn??

Old 04-23-2003, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's up with the dawn??

I've been reading all the threads about zaino, and they all say buy dawn?? But what is the dawn for?

Is it for washing your car with?? If so, why do you need the zaino car wash and dawn?

thank.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by philthis
[B]I've been reading all the threads about zaino, and they all say buy dawn?? But what is the dawn for?
Old 04-24-2003, 12:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

from zaino:

"I would definitely recommend you remove the wax buildup on your paint. Just use Liquid Dawn (hand dishwashing liquid) as a car wash. It has a high alkaline content which cuts right thru carnauba wax, paraffin, silicone oils, etc. This will get your paint finish squeeky clean and wax free.

I don't advise making a habit of washing your car with Dawn. But for this scenario it's fine. High alkaline products like Dawn are tough on polishes. It will never harm the paint finish though. A car wash is made specifically to clean without removing durable polishes. ALSO, Make sure you remove any water spots, before you apply my products. Because Zaino has no abrasives or harsh solvents it will not remove water spots or stains. Z-18 ClayBar is great for removing any paint surface contaminants. Re-wash the entire vehicle with Z-7 Car Wash immediately after the ClayBar
Cleaning Process."
Old 05-03-2003, 07:08 PM

I would never use Dawn on anything besides dishes. But go with what you feel comfortable I guess. I would just use Zymol Car Cleaner and stick with that. Also use a good cleaner wax paste such as Meguiar which is the first step in a 3 step process. If the car has a lot of surface containments then you will need to claybar and possibly use Meguiar's body scrub prior to using the cleaner wax. One of the best liquid cleaner waxes is made by Zymol but it is on the high side of the price scale.
Old 05-03-2003, 07:27 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by zoeybadm
[B]I would never use Dawn on anything besides dishes.
Old 05-03-2003, 08:21 PM

okay this guy is using DAWN...read that one more time DAWN. I know the cleaner wax does not contain any abrasives because I read the ingredients on the side of the paste can. You can also just smell the abrasives which give an odor similar to that of paint thinner if that was not evidence enough to avoid it. Zymol has NO abrasives that would harm a clearcoat. That is fine not to use a cleaner wax but you will never have the deep gloss that can be had. The choice is up to you. I get comments about my paint nearly everyday I drive it and people want to know what I use to keep the paint in such good shape.
Old 05-03-2003, 08:40 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by zoeybadm
[B]I am hear to sort out the
Old 05-03-2003, 08:43 PM

Well I tried Zaino and found it lacking in many areas. If it works for you that is fine with me but my paint is glass smooth and like a babies butt. I roll with Zymol and "if it ain't broke don't fix it." Dawn will never touch ANY of my cars...that is just me.
Old 05-04-2003, 09:05 AM

Originally posted by zoeybadm
I get comments about my paint nearly everyday I drive it and people want to know what I use to keep the paint in such good shape.
I don't think that you get any more comments on your finish than I do. Mine is the one that stands out in a crowd. I'm not trying to be a braggart, just trying to pass on my experiences, as well. I drive mine every day to work and back and this makes it much more difficult to keep it looking good. I have 28,000 miles on mine now and it still looks good. Like xviper's, mine is driven through whatever is on the roads, salt, snow, rain, etc.

I like to use Finish First as a base and put S100 on top of it. This is a multi step process just like Zaino and is a synthetic polish. The finished product is a result of the preparation that goes into the finish (paint), before the wax/polish goes on the car. I have found that cleaning/polishing my paint about once a year is more than enough to make it look better than showroom new. It is in the cleaning/polishing stages that the look of the finished product is determined. If you don't have a good looking finish here, you won't have one when you are finished.

After it's cleaned and polished, then I apply the Finish First. Once that has been applied, I like to follow that up with the final coat of S100 (similar to P21S) and that carnauba wax gives it the depth and shimmer that a red finish deserves.

Obviously, there are many ways to maintain your car's finish. This is mine and it works.
Bob

PS...I was trying to let everyone know that all cleaners will remove some of the clearcoat, abrasive or not, since this is how they are designed to clean the finish. I most assuredly use a cleaner of some sort or another. I had to resort to 3M's very mild abrasive cleaner to remove the swirl marks and scratches that I get from daily driving the last time. Without cleaning and then polishing you will never get the deep shine that you want.

BTW, there is nothing wrong with Zymol. It's very popular in England. I just happen to prefer S100.
Old 05-05-2003, 12:08 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I roll with Zymol and "if it ain't broke don't fix it." Dawn will never touch ANY of my cars...that is just me.
You roll with Zymol??

You need to do some more research on waxes. If you did you would find plenty of evidence showing that Zymol aint nothing but overpriced Turtle Wax.

Quick Reply: What's up with the dawn??