S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

What would be the best way to paint caliper?

Old 10-10-2006, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would be the best way to paint caliper?

Hey guys, i'm planning to paint my calipers soon.
I was wondering which product is the best one to use, and
I would like to dremel the caliper before i paint them so i could get a slick look , anyone can give me tips?

I'm super newbi with dremel ( i have not seen one in real life yet ), is it fairly easy to use? which part should i avoid to dremel? and how much can i send it?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-11-2006, 07:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=jlstyle82,Oct 10 2006, 07:44 PM] Hey guys, i'm planning to paint my calipers soon.
I was wondering which product is the best one to use, and
I would like to dremel the caliper before i paint them so i could get a slick look
Old 10-11-2006, 09:36 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wanabe,Oct 11 2006, 10:22 AM
g2 epoxy caliper paint

first step is remove wheels, then clean brakes and calipers with brakekleen- wipe it all down...
i have not dremmeled so am stopping here so someone can chime in!

this is without dremmel and after about 3 years:

Im gonna have to do the unthinkable, and disagree.

Well, maybe not really, but hear me out. I personally dont like G2. Hmmm...you say to yourself...."But Dave, a lot of respected board members say its good, what gives?"

They are right, G2 IS a pretty good product. However, what if I told you, you can have a result that is better/as good, done in less than a 1/4 of the time (even less), 1/4 of the price, and 1/10th the drying time (you can drive the car in 1.5 hours, rather than 24 with G2.)

Well, now, you are thinking....."Hmmm Dave, Im intrigued, tell me more!"

No sweat young skywalker.....I shall provide the answer.....

Here is what you need for my method.....

1)A bunch of newspaper, or even better, that VALPAK they keep throwing in front of your house ($0)

2)A roll of 1/4inch masking tape ($1.29)

3)Go to autozone, and get 550 degree VHT engine enamel ($4.00 a can)

4)One sheet of 400 grit or so, and one sheet of 800-1000 grit or so of sandpaper (faster than a dremel, trust me)....($2.00 at Home depot)...........this step is optional, but youll get a smoother caliper...you only need to sand the tops and sides of the fronts.

THATS IT........

Now....tape up the car like this...... (sorry for the pics, old cell phone cam)

Don't go crazy.....just shove the paper in, and put a little piece of tape, as long as the fender is protected, you are good. Stick the paper under the caliper as well....this is a lot easier than it might look....took me about 5 minutes per side. Then on the caliper, there is one big black rubber thingie..that you can pull off (cap)....take it off. Tape off whatever else you dont want to spray. Dont worry if you hit the face of the rotor...The paint will come right off the first time you brake.

Do this to the entire car (tape off all 4 corners, with the tires removed. This way, you can just walk around spraying with no interruptions. Waste the entire can on all 4 calipers (give the previous coat about 10-15 minutes to dry. I think I got 8 coats per caliper out of one can. DO NOT overdo one coat. The paint will run, and it will be annoying to fix. Coat a bit, then let set.

Result should look like this.....

Fronts:

Rears:

Hope this helps. I did my friend's RSX with G2, and it took 4 times the labor, and 5 times the time.

P.S The finished pics I took 5 minutes ago in my driveway. The first pics (newspaper tape pics) are about 2.3 years ago. They still look like I coated them yesterday.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good stuff NFR, looks nice.

EDIT: Oh, and which color is that exactly? "Bright Red"?
Old 10-11-2006, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC,Oct 11 2006, 11:36 AM
Im gonna have to do the unthinkable, and disagree.

Well, maybe not really, but hear me out. I personally dont like G2. Hmmm...you say to yourself...."But Dave, a lot of respected board members say its good, what gives?"

They are right, G2 IS a pretty good product. However, what if I told you, you can have a result that is better/as good, done in less than a 1/4 of the time (even less), 1/4 of the price, and 1/10th the drying time (you can drive the car in 1.5 hours, rather than 24 with G2.)

Well, now, you are thinking....."Hmmm Dave, Im intrigued, tell me more!"

No sweat young skywalker.....I shall provide the answer.....

Here is what you need for my method.....

1)A bunch of newspaper, or even better, that VALPAK they keep throwing in front of your house ($0)

2)A roll of 1/4inch masking tape ($1.29)

3)Go to autozone, and get 550 degree VHT engine enamel ($4.00 a can)

4)One sheet of 400 grit or so, and one sheet of 800-1000 grit or so of sandpaper (faster than a dremel, trust me)....($2.00 at Home depot)...........this step is optional, but youll get a smoother caliper...you only need to sand the tops and sides of the fronts.

THATS IT........

Now....tape up the car like this...... (sorry for the pics, old cell phone cam)

Don't go crazy.....just shove the paper in, and put a little piece of tape, as long as the fender is protected, you are good. Stick the paper under the caliper as well....this is a lot easier than it might look....took me about 5 minutes per side. Then on the caliper, there is one big black rubber thingie..that you can pull off (cap)....take it off. Tape off whatever else you dont want to spray. Dont worry if you hit the face of the rotor...The paint will come right off the first time you brake.

Do this to the entire car (tape off all 4 corners, with the tires removed. This way, you can just walk around spraying with no interruptions. Waste the entire can on all 4 calipers (give the previous coat about 10-15 minutes to dry. I think I got 8 coats per caliper out of one can. DO NOT overdo one coat. The paint will run, and it will be annoying to fix. Coat a bit, then let set.

Result should look like this.....

Fronts:

Rears:

Hope this helps. I did my friend's RSX with G2, and it took 4 times the labor, and 5 times the time.

P.S The finished pics I took 5 minutes ago in my driveway. The first pics (newspaper tape pics) are about 2.3 years ago. They still look like I coated them yesterday.
I did the same thing in gloss black, although I wasn't as meticulous about masking.

The overspray on the rotors came off on the first drive although they were a little sticky at first...
Old 10-11-2006, 12:31 PM

nice one - I've been looking at doing this myself, think I might go for it within the next few weekends

Cheers for the insight!
Old 10-11-2006, 12:43 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by FormulaRedline,Oct 11 2006, 02:41 PM
Good stuff NFR, looks nice.

EDIT: Oh, and which color is that exactly? "Bright Red"?
Bright red indeed.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:16 PM

Now who is gonna be the first to rock the hot pink calipers?
Old 10-11-2006, 06:22 PM
Former Moderator

[QUOTE=stphotographer,Oct 11 2006, 05:16 PM] Now who is gonna be the first to rock the hot pink calipers?
Old 10-11-2006, 06:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC,Oct 11 2006, 06:22 PM
I vote for WANABE!

Do it, Do it.
hey not fair...

how did you get pics of me? !

Quick Reply: What would be the best way to paint caliper?