S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

What kind of towels do you use to wash your S2000?

Old 05-24-2006, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a sheepskin washmitt for my front bumper and behind each wheel, (it has a rougher scrub side for those bugs and dirt specs) and I use a microfibermitt for the body wash.

I wash a body panel at a time, to decrease the probability of soap drying.

Afterwards, I rinse the car with low pressure for sheeting action.

Go over the body quickly with an absorber to get most water off.

And then go back again with a microfiber towel for smaller water spots.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by animeS2K,May 23 2006, 08:13 PM
Good start with the sheepskin wash mitts and waffle weave microfiber towels.
Use the 2-bucket method of washing (one for soapy water, one with clear water for rinsing the mitt, keeping the grime you take off the car out of your soap mix), you could also get a foam gun to help remove a lot of dirt and grime before you even touch the car with a mitt - it works well, much better than just a simple water-only pre-rinse.
great advice about washing!! One thing though, when buying a sheepskin/lambs wool wash mitt check the label to make sure it's genuine sheepskin/lambs wool and not a synthetic.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:16 PM

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

i use a soft wash mit to wash and for drying a first go over the car with the california water blade, and then remove any remaining water with a chamois ("shammy"). Hasn't let me down yet
Old 05-25-2006, 04:47 PM

i'll have to reiterate what animes2k said.

i've got a black s2000 myself and here's my overly anal retentive way of keeping it fresh:

foam gun... its really cool... really. i only use this when the car is pretty dirty and i dont think a water-prerinse will get the job done.

two bucket method (with grit guards at the bottoms) using 2 sheepskin wash mitts (one specifically for the really dirty parts: front bumper, lower panels, front winshield, etc). usually even spray off the mitt before i dunk it in the rinse bucket.

for drying the pakshak waffleweave towels are very absorbant and very soft.

again, like animes2k said, honda black paint is soft. mine sits outside all the time and as much as i love detailing, its hard for me to work in a few days of that sort of fun. i try to avoid marring by using the methods above, along with a few others.

if you've got some free time on your hands, go to autopia.org and check out their "Learn" section. good detailing forums
Old 05-25-2006, 07:33 PM

What brand microfiber towels do you recommend? I looked online and am thinking about buying this product: http://autopia-carcare.com/mf-201.html. Do you have any recommendations for better microfiber towels? Do you know of any other sites with better prices? Thanks a whole lot, guys.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:43 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I've got those and honestly I really like them. They're not as thick or plush as most drying towels but they suck up some water. If you're getting it for drying, I'd suggest the "Ultimate Drying Towel." Same material, much larger. These are meant more for buffing, glass, etc.

Either that or the Der Wunder Drying Towel (blue), which are much heavier/thicker and suck up a lot more water.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by animeS2K,May 25 2006, 10:43 PM
I've got those and honestly I really like them. They're not as thick or plush as most drying towels but they suck up some water. If you're getting it for drying, I'd suggest the "Ultimate Drying Towel." Same material, much larger. These are meant more for buffing, glass, etc.

Either that or the Der Wunder Drying Towel (blue), which are much heavier/thicker and suck up a lot more water.
Is there a difference in quality? The Der Wunder Drying Towel is a little more expensive. Is this one better on the paint, or is the only difference in its absorbancy?

EDIT: The Ultimate Drying Towel also comes with a free 8oz bottle of Sonus Gloss Shampoo. How is this product?
Old 05-25-2006, 08:19 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

The Sonus Gloss Shampoo is pretty decent stuff, but expensive if buying it on its own. It's not a high-suds type of shampoo, but does a decent job.

The two towels... Difference in quality? I'd say they're both GOOD towels, it's just that they're very ... different. The blue one is thick and heavy compared to the yellow towel, which is really quite thin. Lemme see if I have good pics of the two...

I hope this gives you an idea of the difference...

Old 05-26-2006, 01:10 PM

Does the Ultimate Drying Towel work well on glass? Do you know of a site that sells a pair of the Sonus Ultimate Drying Towel for cheaper than $28.95 or the Sonus Der Wunder Drying Towel cheaper than $30.95 shipped to 73159?

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Keisuke,May 26 2006, 04:10 PM
Does the Ultimate Drying Towel work well on glass? Do you know of a site that sells a pair of the Sonus Ultimate Drying Towel for cheaper than $28.95 or the Sonus Der Wunder Drying Towel cheaper than $30.95 shipped to 73159?

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.
PremiumAutoCare.com and Autopia are the only sites I am aware of that sell Sonus. However, they're both owned by the same company. So, I'm not sure if the prices are any different.

Quick Reply: What kind of towels do you use to wash your S2000?