S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

What do you use to wash your car?

Old 03-02-2001, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering what people use to wash their car. The S2ki website says that you shouldn't use any kind of sponge for the convertible top. What are people using to wash both the top and the rest of the car?
Also, I'm planning on starting to use the Zaino car wash(Z-7), but I was wondering if it's good to use for the top as well. Or is it better to use the P21S Bodywork Shampoo that S2ki suggests? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-03-2001, 12:47 AM

I use a good car wash shampoo (Meguiar's) and a clean wash mit or a number of desposable soft pads. Use the shampoo on the body only. I just rinse the top with clear water since it stays pretty clean being in the garage most of the time.

I prefer the diposable pads because you can throw each one away as it becomes soiled. These pads are available at Pep Boys. Use one pad for the hood and trunk areas, another for the sides and yet another for the lower body and wheels. Wash and rinse one area at a time.

When you are ready to dry (after throughly rinsing) I recommend a great product called the Absorber (available at Wal Mart). This is a chamois-like product made of a synthetic material that is much more absorbant and easier to use than a real chamois. You'll be amazed at how much water this little dude can hold; In fact, you'll need to wring it out very often. Once again, start at the top and work down in the drying process. Be sure to refer to the wash and wax section for more good tips. I hope this helps. Good luck and good washing!
Old 03-03-2001, 03:18 AM

You need to check out the posts in the "Wash and Wax" forum under "Special Interests"...
Old 03-03-2001, 05:07 AM

You should check the site http://www.properautocare.com
or http://www.autopia-carcare.com
I use the Porsche Tequipment shampoo for the top and Pinnecle body wash shampoo for the rest of the car. No scratches and the wax remains firmly in place.
I use a natural mint for the lower part of the car first (very soiled usually, specially posterior to the wheel wells) and for the wheel and tires. Then I wash the top with a regular sponge and finally the rest of the car with a natural sea sponge. None of them disposable, just rinse them well after each use.

I also used the Klasse acrilic protectant when I bought the car, and that makes ten times easier to remove dirt and tar when you wash it. And it is only a twice a year work.
By the way, bugs are BAD for your paint finish and clearcoat if you leave them long enough (their acidic blood penetrate the paint and becomes part of it). I use a Wax mist (Pinnacle) every day on the front bumper and rearview mirror (after coming back home from work) and the bugs come of easily. Takes me only 5 minutes a day, but is worth it. Have you ever tried to remove bugs front your front bumper after leaving them for 2 weeks??
Hope that helped.

[Edited by Naka on 03-03-2001 at 06:29 AM]
Old 03-03-2001, 05:19 AM

I use the Porsche treatment for the top, Body-Liquid Glass wash, followed by Pinnacle cleansing lotion (if needed), Clay bar (if needed) then the Liquid Glass seal followed by Souveran Carnuba. I use a natural sponge on the top and a boars hair brush and natural sponge on the body. Plexus (OF COURSE!) on the rear window. I also use the Pinnacle carnuba mist for touch ups.
Mark
01 TheBlackBeast#0090
Old 03-03-2001, 11:58 AM

Thanks for all your help guys. I appreciate it!
Old 03-04-2001, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by Naka

I also used the Klasse acrilic protectant when I bought the car, and that makes ten times easier to remove dirt and tar when you wash it. And it is only a twice a year work.
By the way, bugs are BAD for your paint finish and clearcoat if you leave them long enough (their acidic blood penetrate the paint and becomes part of it). I use a Wax mist (Pinnacle) every day on the front bumper and rearview mirror (after coming back home from work) and the bugs come of easily. Takes me only 5 minutes a day, but is worth it. Have you ever tried to remove bugs front your front bumper after leaving them for 2 weeks??
Hope that helped.

[Edited by Naka on 03-03-2001 at 06:29 AM]
What's the acrylic sealant do? Did you put it on before you wax or after? How does this work with Zaino?
Old 03-05-2001, 09:01 PM

Wow! great posts here I'm really learning alot. Just another addition to this. When you are drying always dry in an straight downward motion. That is lay the chamois out and drag it lightly over the car towards your body. This will not only get the water off nicely but will cause less scratching. You always want to dry in the direction of the wind over your car. Don't use the circular motion that's so common this can definitely leave those swirly marks people are so used to seeing. Hope this helps! Thanks to the rest of you for these tips.