S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

what do you guys use to clean interior ?

Old 07-03-2005, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! I have to say it seems how to clean leather is more controversial than Zaino vs. Zymol. I've never been a real big fan of Lexol myself and the Imperial I'm using now isn't any better. 2002S2K's post about Woolite seems to make a lot of sense too (not bad, but not good either). Also, I've heard a lot of people saying to NEVER use protectants like 303 and Armor All on leather. Clearly though dolebludger has a different opinion on that.

This subject definitely seems controversial. As I'm not happy with the Imperial I'd like to try something else. Personally, I think I'll skip on trying the Woolite and the 303 approach. Maybe next I'll try Townsend. There seems to be a lot of people who like that brand on this website.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:52 PM

Just to reiterate...never use Armor All or any silicone based product on leather, it will cause the finish on the leather to soften very quickly and it can wear off ridiculously fast, we have done tests and proven that you are better off putting nothing on your seats than you are a silicone based product. As for 303, keep that off your leather too, I have to look at my notes, but I think that was silicone based as well.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:12 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

303 says specifically that it contains no "silicone oils"?
Old 07-05-2005, 09:26 AM

What about my dash, do I just clean it with the same products ?
Old 07-05-2005, 05:32 PM

Anime - I used 303 on my top once and saw the consistency...I will get the msds and find out for sure, but again, why mess around with that stuff when there is something proven to work well.

G'd - You can use the same stuff you use on your leather on your dash or you can get the special vinyl stuff. Just don't do the reverse and use the vinyl stuff on your leather.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:36 PM

G, I can already tell you a lot of people are going to tell you to use 303 on your dashboard. I just bought a bottle of it with the intention of using it to protect my vinyl top. So, I tried it out on the dashboard. Honestly, I wasn't very impressed. It reminded me a lot of Armor All (as best as I can recall I haven't touched the stuff in years). Except, it wasn't as smelly or quite as greasy. However, it definitely left a slightly greasy feel on all the plastic, vinyl, and rubber in the interior. Recently, I also tried Meguiars Interior Quick Detailer. The Interior QD I feel is much better than the 303. Absolutely no greasy residue is left behind. Also, I found the 303 darked the color of all my plastic and vynil which I was not happy about. No such color change w/ the Interior QD. It also works great on the faux metal trim pieces in my car.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:06 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Ah! My first experience with Meg's Interior QD was a good one. Definitely cleans things up nicely and leaves a nice finish (including clear plastics), but I don't know that it provides UV protection or the "nourishing" that vinyl needs.

As far as 303 leaving a residue - I did notice this on my dash, but I think I put it on kind of thick - I've since changed my application method (wipe on & buff off as opposed to spray on/buff off) and it works well without leaving a slippery film. I know it totally revitalized my dash and left a natural clean look.

I got word from ArmorAll that their product is a water-based silicone suspension, as I believe 303 is as well. I know from reading a thread somewhere else (can't place it - had to do with tire dressings) that a water-based silicone suspension is good for the vinyl and rubber, while a silicone oil (old ArmorAll formula?) is bad.

This will likely be most noticable with tires, where the material is soft and exposed to a lot of harsh treatment - the long-term effects of a silicone OIL based dressing on tires is that it leaves the rubber brownish as it has basically eaten up the rubber...

or so i hear.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:21 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by animeS2K,Jul 6 2005, 12:06 AM

I got word from ArmorAll that their product is a water-based silicone suspension, as I believe 303 is as well. I know from reading a thread somewhere else (can't place it - had to do with tire dressings) that a water-based silicone suspension is good for the vinyl and rubber, while a silicone oil (old ArmorAll formula?) is bad.
Correct. Armor All isn't the anti-christ everyone makes it out to be. It is a decent , readily available product now. It also has UV protection. I still use 303 because I have for years and I buy it by the gallon.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:26 AM
Former Moderator

[QUOTE=MikeyC,Jul 5 2005, 09:36 PM] G, I can already tell you a lot of people are going to tell you to use 303 on your dashboard.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:30 AM

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

I use RAGGTOP on my interior and exterior Vinyl and since my leather is in good shape I use Griot's leather stuff that I have had around for awhile. For my 4Runner which was in bad condition I used leather cpr on it and it looks and feels great. Leatherique is also a very good product. Hate the smell of Lexol

Quick Reply: what do you guys use to clean interior ?