S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

What did they do to my paint? w/ pics

Old 02-24-2008, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What did they do to my paint? w/ pics

*Avoid Expert Collision in Houston*

My car was keyed last year and I took it to a local body shop to get a fender and door repainted. When I picked up the car they told me they buffed the entire car even though only 2 panels were painted. The worst part was they acted like they did me a favor by throwing in a buffing like I should be paying more for their mediocre work.

Now I'm trying to figure out wtf they did to my paint. Maybe they used my car to train some new employees or maybe they really suck this bad. I've tried Zaino and Meguiar's Caranuba wax since and nothing seems to fix it. Does anyone have recommendations for products to try or do I need to get it re-buffed from a professional?

Notice the small circular cloudy areas and imagine it on every body panel when the light hits it.

The paint looks fine until the light hits it just right

Old 02-24-2008, 04:44 PM

A carnauba wax is not going to have a "cut" strong enough to clear that haze. What you need is some Menzerna Intensive Polish or something like Poorboy's SSR2.5 followed with SSR1.0, then hit with a paint cleanser like Lusso Oro Paint Cleanser (found on our sponsors website). Neither of the products youve tried have much "cut" at all, like aforementioned. In addition to what I mentioned, those will need to be applied with a PC 7424 or similar machine, as you cannot work up near enough hand speed to make a polish truly work.

-Matt
Old 02-24-2008, 04:51 PM

that's exactly why i'm glad i don't have a black car anymore lol. Anyways, wax isn't going to solve that, ur going to need a mild polish to get that out.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:54 PM

Polish FTMFW again. Since you live in Houston, it shouldn't be hard to find someone on this forum willing to help you, for maybe a few brewski's.

Don't you love bodyshops and stealerships?
Old 02-24-2008, 05:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaeden09,Feb 24 2008, 05:54 PM
Don't you love bodyshops and stealerships?

The last bodyshop I took my girlfriend's car kept insisting on giving us a free wash/buff also.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:17 PM

Weird. Could be holograms but they look a bit different than usual - they actually look like cloud reflections in the first pic. Regardless, a proper polishing should clean things up.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by sevenrd,Feb 24 2008, 08:17 PM
Weird. Could be holograms but they look a bit different than usual - they actually look like cloud reflections in the first pic. Regardless, a proper polishing should clean things up.
I've never seen anything like it either. It's definitely not your typical swirls in black paint. Every body panel has these small cloudy circles that are roughly quarter sized.

Based on the input it definitely sounds like polish and PC is the way to go. I'll ask around for a shop in Houston that people trust and give it a shot.

Thanks everyone for the input
Old 02-24-2008, 05:44 PM

ask on the Houston forums on here. It's under the regional's section. Find someone who has a PC or a UDM and know's what their doing, and try to work a deal with them to do it, or teach you how.

I had my car at a body shop, and they didn't do too bad with the buffer, I can see a few spots that I have to redo though, but nothing that major.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:46 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

iunno, it looks like they used a random orbital buffer w/ the wrong pad or something.. since it looks almost like a pattern of fingerprints, seems like oscillations instead of rotating marks.. but im no professional
Old 02-26-2008, 04:57 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

you need to find a polish with 1500 grit in it and use a high speed buffer. do not use an orbital, it will not take these out. keep the high speed buffer flat and at a lower speed. apply light pressure, if you put too much pressure on the buffer you will burn the paint. let the buffer and the polish do the work. after you have determined you have the marks out polish the whole hood with a sealer wax. if the marks get worse during this process, they did not repaint the whole hood, they spoted the effected areas. could be where the spot repair started or stopped. also it could be issues in the base coat which can not be repaired by buffing or polishing.

Quick Reply: What did they do to my paint? w/ pics