S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Weird white spots and fading

Old 10-20-2007, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird white spots and fading

I was cleaning the car today as I do every Saturday morning I have off and its been raining all week, so the S was pretty dirty. I noticed the mirrors on my 02 are getting oxidized as well as the side strakes. But I don't really know what to do about that other than to replace them or have the re-painted. But I noticed today that there are some white spots on my factory spoiler. I had noticed a few a couple of weeks ago but now the spoiler looks faded and there are tons of them. And they are spreading to the rear bumper. Nothing like this is happening on the front bumper just on the rear. Anyone have this problem or know how to fix it? Its very strange, I've never seen anything like it. I can post pictures tomorrow if anyone needs them.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:36 PM

Pictures would help.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

can you feel them?
do they stick up above the paint or are they in the paint?
Old 10-21-2007, 07:19 PM

Looks like they are below the clear coat. I didn't have access to a computer yesterday to post the pics I'll have them up tomorrow after work.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If they parts are "fading" but the paint is still in good condition, the strakes and mirrors probably need a good polishing, some sealant and some good carnuba wax, and they will be nice and shiny again. As stated by the others, pics would help us try to answer your questions.

Also, do you have a PC?
Old 10-22-2007, 12:22 PM

nope don't have a pc but I can borrow one. And you are correct about the mirrors and side strakes. but everytime i polish them they go right back to faded within a week or so. Its been raining here all day if it lets up for a minute i'll post pics after work. I'm just worried it'll spread to the rest of the bumper, and I'm not looking to spend a whole lot of money repainting the thing.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Out of curiosity, what brand/type of polish are you using?
Old 10-22-2007, 03:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an old red Celica GT that the paint is shot. The clear coat is gone
except on the shady side of the car. I also have the white that shows through on the side mirrors and the door trim on the drivers side.
It looks to me that there will be no remedy other than re-painting.
I think all you can do is to try to preserve the remaining good paint until you decide to re-paint.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:06 PM

Normally I use Meguires. Course the last time I had it detailed by someone else because I was lazy. So I don't know what they used. Sorry about not having the pics, the rain hasn't let up so if it clears up tomorrow i'll get in a few shots at lunch and post them up.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:07 PM

just a picture of the car

faded spoiler

the white spots.

It doesn't happen on any of the metal body panels. Only on the poly urethane of the bumper and the fiberglass of the spoiler and parts of the trunk. Sorry the pics aren't great but they are better than nothing.

Quick Reply: Weird white spots and fading