S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Waxing Idiotic...

Old 12-14-2007, 03:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waxing Idiotic...

It seems that when I remove whatever wax I have applied I end up with an uneven finish. From certain angles it looks like wax is still on the car no matter how much I take an MF towel to it.

Am I using too much wax? Is it because I am forced to work in the sunlight?

This also occurs with JW Acrylic Jett.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:11 AM

Sounds like too much wax. If you're in direct sunlight it's also probably drying too quickly. Try using Poor Boys wax. I've never used it, but it can be applied in direct sunlight.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:18 AM

thanks. i hate having to work outside in the heat (or freezing cold right now), but at least i have a hose at my apartment - could be worse.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by dmw16,Dec 14 2007, 04:53 AM
It seems that when I remove whatever wax I have applied I end up with an uneven finish. From certain angles it looks like wax is still on the car no matter how much I take an MF towel to it.
Are you turning the towel? You prolly are, but I had to ask. Sometimes switching to a new towel will make a dramatic difference as the previous towel becomes saturated. Sometimes the wax can dry TOO much on the surface, and become very difficult to remove. I think thats happened to all of us. If the wax won't come off, I advise to NOT press down too hard, even with a MF towel, because you could very well scratch the surface (I have scratched the finish with a MF by pressing too hard on an isolated area, but so minor, was easily removed with the PC). When the wax drys, then subsequently bonds to the surface, thus preventing removal, take some quick detailer and spray the trouble area. This will do the trick. It will also prevent micro marring as the quick detailer will provide lubricity.

Am I using too much wax?
You don't need to use more wax than you need to, cause that would be wastefull, but I suspect your technique is the culprit. It's hard to say without actually seeing you remove it.

Is it because I am forced to work in the sunlight?
What are the ambient temp where you live? One good thing about sunlight is that the panels are consistently lit up. I find that I can see more consistenly in sunlight vs artificial lights. On the other hand, flouresents, and halogens can be brutal if placed appropriately, and you look at the finish at a certain angle.

If you were to place a 500 watt halogen 90 degree's to the finish, you could almost see a near microscopic scratch.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The direction in which you buff can make a small but perceptible difference. For me, I go front to back on all panels.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:01 AM

excellent info. Thanks.

Ambient temps go from 20F to 100F between winter and summer. I typically will wash and wax anywhere from 55F to 90F, above that is too hot.

I will try some QD next time.

And I do turn the towel and try not to push too hard
Old 12-14-2007, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by dmw16,Dec 14 2007, 06:01 AM
Ambient temps go from 20F to 100F between winter and summer.
WoW!!!

20F will make products freeze when it hits the surface. 100F, and your polish/wax will dry too quickly.

I find that certain products work very well in certain temps. A guess off the top of my head would be 60-80 degree's would be an ideal range. Some products that are more sensitive, may have a narrower temp range.

Sometimes detailing products can be finicky, but once you begin to master the art of detailing, you can manipulate the products to make them do what you want them to do.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:54 AM

even poorboys natty blue can sometimes dry a little fast in the sun (depending on temp, usually 90-100 degrees F)... The only product I've found so far that is easy to apply/remove in the sun is collinite 845. I can usually apply to whole car and buff off without any problems in the sun, but this is application via PC and buff by hand.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by RACER,Dec 14 2007, 06:39 AM
WoW!!!

20F will make products freeze when it hits the surface. 100F, and your polish/wax will dry too quickly.

I find that certain products work very well in certain temps. A guess off the top of my head would be 60-80 degree's would be an ideal range. Some products that are more sensitive, may have a narrower temp range.

Sometimes detailing products can be finicky, but once you begin to master the art of detailing, you can manipulate the products to make them do what you want them to do.

I never work in the extreme temps. I was merely saying what the range is. gotta love the Mid-atlantic :-)
Old 12-14-2007, 06:21 AM

Quick Reply: Waxing Idiotic...