S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

wax on wax & what to do with towel afterwards

Old 06-09-2002, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wax on wax & what to do with towel afterwards

Hi,

1. I just washed my car by myself for the first time yesterday. All I had was zymol wash & wax. I know that there was wax already on the car from when the dealership washed the car for me (but I don
Old 06-09-2002, 03:20 PM

Old 06-09-2002, 03:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

are you sure that the dealer really waxed the car? chances are they used a wash that contains wax... that wont wax your car.
as you might be able to tell from this forum, not too many of us use wax anymore. we use synthetics (zaino, for example).
wax and synthetics each have advantages and disadvantages- but either consistently applied is much better than neither!!!
you can wash your towel in the washing machine- use either car wash shampoo or other gentle cleaner. i use the same stuff that i use to wash my car cover (fantastik) to wash all the cleaning rags (i dont wash the cover and the rags in the same wash).
by the way, the most dangerous part of your towel is likely the seams- be careful using towels and only use the centers (or tear off the edges)- hopefully you towel is 100% cotton. better to use microfiber towels.
Old 06-09-2002, 03:34 PM

I have a couple dozen towels, all cotton with the hems cut off. I wash them in the machine when I have enough for a load. I also keep them segregated according to use. Some are for Zaino products, others for Plexus. Mine's a year old this week, and I don't have a garage for it yet, but she looks good!
Old 06-12-2002, 06:02 PM

Go with Zaino!
Old 06-12-2002, 09:09 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Jane, I think you did a marvelous job on your car. It looks really great. Any kind of TLC on your car will pay dividends. Although I'm a Zaino user at the moment and think very highly of this product, I can't fault anyone who spends any sort of care polishing a car. One day, you may try Zaino but for now, if you "wax" your car even once every 2-3 months, you'll still be fine. (I used to do just this.) It may not shine as brilliantly as the sun but it should be adequately protected. I must admit that in the past decade or so, I've gone away from pure waxes (Carnuba) in favour of the more synthetic kinds of polish as I feel they last longer and protect better. I'm talking products like "Prolong", "Durashine", and the like. Some folks may think that these things are a bit gimmicky but I assure you that having used these things on black cars like Vettes and a Viper, they work amazingly well.
If you do use wax, each year you should wash the car with dish soap to strip it all off. Layers of wax will, in time, begin to yellow. After each initial dish soap wash, you should only wash with a dedicated car wash soap. This keeps your hard work from getting stripped away.
I don't throw my polishing clothes away. I wash them in the washing machine. Use the "hot" setting to help soften the wax and use proper laundry soap. Also set the water level on "high" for max dilution factor when rinsing. If you use "car wash" soap to wash your towels, it won't wash out the wax because remember, this type of soap it NOT suppose to take off the wax from your car so why would it take out the wax from your cloths or towels?
For applying the wax or polish, I use those little round (about 4" diameter) flat pads. Mine are terry on one side and foam on the other. If you are using a scratch removing type polish, then use the terry side. If you are only waxing or polishing, then use the foam side. Wash these in the same wash as the polishing clothes. DO NOT wash any of these things with your other laundry. You needn't worry about the chemicals getting into your other clothes in subsequent loads. (That's why you have the "high" water level setting - to dilute and flush away the "crud".)
Keep up the good work. (Give Zaino a try one day when you're feeling a bit flush and adventuresome. )
Old 06-12-2002, 09:42 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
[B]One day, you may try Zaino but for now, if you "wax" your car even once every 2-3 months, you'll still be fine.
Old 06-12-2002, 09:54 PM

I use all Meguiar's Gold Class Products (easiest to get in Aus). And Meguiar's cotton polishing towels. Usually after buffing I hang the towels up. If they get a bit too "sticky" hand wash then dry.

my car after being washed (had the meguiar's treatment 1month prior).

wil..
Old 06-13-2002, 06:04 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rstark
[B]
Damn, when I was using wax, I used to wax it at *least* once a week.
Old 06-13-2002, 07:24 AM

Wilch,I wish our license plates in California were that small.If ya gotta have a plate, that's the one to have.

Quick Reply: wax on wax & what to do with towel afterwards