S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Wax or Sealant?

Old 08-23-2008, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wax or Sealant?

Well I used the search button the problem is I hear mixed opinions. I have never tried a sealant(from what i read sealant is basically a synthetic wax). I read if you use a sealant you can't use a wax on top because it will haze or start to yellow. Then I read people like to use a sealant topped off with a wax. Or a sealant just by itself. I was thinking of detailersdomain Menzerna FMJ sealant with lusso oro on top. Can I just get a clarification between the two and a good combo to use.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry11223352 Its a topic about the Klasse AIO and SG got a little loss so AIO is a light polish that contains wax then u top it off with SG but i though wax under sg(sealant glaze) was bad.

TIA.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:58 AM

You can use a sealant with caranuba wax on top, in fact I would say most of us do. I use wolfgang sealant and top with pinnacle caranuba. It leaves a beatiful and lasting shine and maintanence is easy.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

absolutely you can sandwich!!
it is now common practice-
we called it sandwiching because you top synthetic -after a few coats- with wax. then a few weeks later you can add more synthetic (yes, it is over old wax), and then top it again with wax- or just go straight to wax.

about 10 years ago,
david bynon -autopia- began with p21s over klasse and called it the perfect shine.
boiler and wanabe began with finish first topped by p21s- then i switched to zaino and p21s, when sal zaino told me it wouldn't work!
my car currently has zaino and lusso.
very interested to see your report on fmj and lusso - should be a good combo.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:38 AM

Wanabe you are saying I can use a synthetic/sealant then a wax on top. And i can do that again few weeks later! I thought you have to remove the old sealant or wax.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bbhood,Aug 24 2008, 09:38 AM
Wanabe you are saying I can use a synthetic/sealant then a wax on top. And i can do that again few weeks later! I thought you have to remove the old sealant or wax.
safe to say u can trust wanabe. i can't wait to see the results myself as i'm interested in FMJ. FMJ seems to get tons of great reviews, and lusso is a great high quality wax for the price (of course if u wanna be a real baller go with "the Rock"!)

look forward to seeing your future pics!

btw - i so synth followed by natural wax. last job used CG JetSeal109 with lusso oro on top: Awesome results!
Old 08-24-2008, 07:10 PM

I use P21S over Z2 followed by sonus carnuba spritz. I love P21S, the best wax i've ever used, i think i'll try some lusso oro next.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

great point scooter...

yes, i also use a quick detail spray- sometimes i use one that is carnauba based and sometimes i use a synthetic base... mainly depends on my mood!!

-------

bbhood- correct... you do not need to remove anything (exception could be the first time you protect the car- if you are not doing a swirl removal or claying you might have to remove the old waxes).
i never remove products by soap. eventually you will wana polish the car or clay it and those steps will do a good job of removing your wax and synthetics. and then you just start the synthetics covered by wax steps all over again!!

try it and post up your experiences- and if you can post up pics and pm me, you will earn your wacko badge!
Old 08-25-2008, 03:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FMJ looks darned good, IMHO. It is as easy to apply and wipe off as anything that needs to be wiped off could possibly be. I cannot address its durability since both of the cars I've used it on are parked inside both at home and at work.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:12 AM

I use the FMJ + P21S combo.

Its harder to see the results on my GPW, but I can definitely see it. I did the same thing for my buddies blue Sti, and results was incredible. He said it almost feels like a different color car, because after the seal+wax, the famous wrx blue became deeper, and with a glassy wet shine look he never had before.

I was told the FMJ could be good for up to 6 month, so I've been just doing wash and wax, and then at the 3 month interval, I would put another coat of FMJ on right after wash. Very easy to apply.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:37 PM

I used FMJ only after a polish. I put 3 layers on, and has not broken down completly yet. My S is parked outside all the time....I wish I had a garage!

The FMJ is very durable...and easy to apply!

Quick Reply: Wax or Sealant?