S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

"waterless" car wash

Old 04-30-2004, 03:51 PM
ttb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "waterless" car wash

what do you guys think of these "waterless" dry washing systems. basically no need to rinse, no need for hose and spraying water on the car. just a couple gallons of water and some of the solution mixed together. you then spray it on, wipe off.

http://www.protectall.com/qelg.htm

i'm skeptical. thinkit'll work on not too dirty of cars and those with a good layer of wax. otherwise i'd be scared of scratching the paint with dirt/dust particles.
Old 04-30-2004, 04:11 PM
Former Moderator

That's how I wash my cars all winter. Never had a problem as long as you know how to use it. I just picked up eight bottles on close-out the other day. PM me your address and i'll send you a sample.
Old 04-30-2004, 04:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yup, i know detailers who make a living using minimal amounts of water... especially when they have to wash cars in office parking lots- often not a lot of drainage so they cant use much water.
my personal opinion is that i would prefer to rinse off that which i have loosened (grime, dirt, etc.) when i washed the car. a good car shampoo will float the grime to keep it off the car, but it wont make it magically disappear! so its still on the car until it is rinsed.
i agree with your thought that i wouldnt do it without a good wax protection and would only do it if the car was already pretty clean, and i didnt have the choice of rinsing!
Old 04-30-2004, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as you don't have a lot of caked on dirt you should be okay.

Read here:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.p...?threadid=32078
Old 04-30-2004, 05:08 PM
ttb

anybody would like to explain how the dirt doesnt scratch the paint? if there's a good explanation i'm up to trying it.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:02 PM

I would recommend those for a significant amount of dust, dirt and grime on your car.

I think ALL dirt has the ability to scratch paint if it is rubbed or pressured against the clearcoat in some way or fashion
Old 07-31-2008, 09:35 PM

I use a product called Bayes Waterless Wash and it is unbelievable. changed my mind on waterless wash products. Actually leaves a wax like finish and a showroom shine. Really amazing stuff. Does not work as good as a household window cleaner on your windows , but for the body , chrome and tires it really is amazing. I'm hooked. I read about it in a recent article in Car & Driver and was just amazed with the concept of a waterless wash. The product claims to save time, water and money. And there is no question about the time. I ended up paying about $10.00 for the product and I have already washed my car 3 times and have about 1/4 of the bottle left so i would have to agree with the money portion also, water savings is obvious. Took me a little longer than normal but it looks like I took my car to a detailer so worth the time. I want to spread the word about products like this that do what they say. cool stuff
Old 08-03-2008, 09:44 AM

i used to use a waterless wash on my insight awhile ago. the paint was pretty hard so it didnt swirl or scratch easy. this car is another matter... the paint is so soft i swear if i BREATHE wrong it will scratch. practice on a beater, or car u dont care about first
Old 08-03-2008, 08:51 PM

How about practicing on a rental car?
Old 08-05-2008, 03:30 PM

^ why would u wash ur rental? practice on ur moms minivan and get browny points.

actually today a guy came up to me while i was pumping gas trying to sell me 2 cans for 25 bux. he did my windows and a small chunk of my car. the results were pretty good, but i dont usually use carnuba, i use class all in one...i think the product was fw1 nascar approved or something...

anyways he said it was all purpose, windows, rims, body etc. well he got me thinking so thats why i am posting here. so sure it saves time and money and water, but does anyone know how fast u go thru the rags and if the rags can be reused with all the wax/dirt residue?

Quick Reply: "waterless" car wash