S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Water Spot Removal

Old 07-22-2008, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Water Spot Removal

This is my first thread on S2Ki and I was searching around today to see what to use to get rid of water spots on my car. I own a 1999 Chevrolet Tahoe 2 door and I am hoping to get into an S2k within a month or two. Right now my car has horrible paint and the hood is totally oxidized which you will see soon.
I am posting this because I haven't seen a post of people showing how well compounds work for removing water spots. All of these pictures were taken after I had already washed my car with meguiars gold class car wash. The temperature outside is about 90 degrees yet I still managed to keep more marks off. The water marks were by caused from 4 weeks of not washing my car along with sprinklers coming on at random times because the settings are all messed up.

The compound I used. I am assuming it is a compound because in the directions it says it is an abrasive and should be followed by a polish.

The amount of water marks on the passenger side door. (sorry for bad lighting I am underneath a tree in the middle of the day)

Front right fender after using the compound

The fender looked exactly the same as the door before using the compound.

Here is a picture of a treated area and untreated area side by side.

obviously the compounded side is to the right of the door gap.

My hood. I would love to know if anybody can suggest anything to help with the oxidization.

This is again my first post and write up with pictures so any criticism will be appreciated. If anybody wants better pictures feel free to ask and I will try to take better ones.

I am also wondering what I should do now. I havent touched my car since I used the compound on the front fender and I need to know if I should go straight to wax or if I need to go out and buy a polish and then wax.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice job but some better pictures are really needed to show the detail
Old 07-22-2008, 03:16 PM

Ok I was thinking the same thing about getting some better pictures. Later tonight I will post better pictures when the lighting outside is better.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:52 PM

a polish will remove the cloudyness from the paint that the compound has obviously left behind.

You dont mention if you are doing this by hand or machine.

A machine is going to be needed to tackle the paint well, unless you want your arms to fall off at the elbows.

Get a heavy cut polish, then follow with a light cut polish, then wax.
Take it down in stages to slowly remove the problems.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:19 AM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NightShade,Jul 22 2008, 08:52 PM
a polish will remove the cloudyness from the paint that the compound has obviously left behind.

You dont mention if you are doing this by hand or machine.

A machine is going to be needed to tackle the paint well, unless you want your arms to fall off at the elbows.

Get a heavy cut polish, then follow with a light cut polish, then wax.
Take it down in stages to slowly remove the problems.
BTW, That was me posting from my girlfriend's PC and account without realizing it (She just recently signed up for one and now I'm not logged in on her computer anymore)
Old 07-24-2008, 12:38 AM

ok so what I've done is use two coats of the polishing compound. First is by hand second is by using a random orbital polisher that I have. Then I have put on two coats of meguiars gold class car wax because I think the compound I was using was light since it took two coats to remove all the spots. I will post some pictures as soon as I can and I must say my car looks a lot better and I can't stop touching the waxed parts