S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

washing the top

Old 05-25-2006, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default washing the top

i have some questions about cleaning the top. can i use the same soap on the top that im using on the rest of the car? right now im using Meguiars soft wash gel on body. (i guy i work with said this soap iis to hard for the top)

also i cant seem to find any 303 in my area, so i going to order it online. i have some Meguiars natural shine vinyle and rubber protectaint and Turtle wax F21 super protectant with sun stop. would one of these be ok to use intil i get the 303?
Old 05-25-2006, 08:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took a soft brush and used car soap to scrub and clean the top first, then washed it off good and left it to dry.

After it's fully dried, I used Meguiars vinyle and rubber protectant (#40) and applied to a rags and the applied to the top.

It will turn white at first (slight foaming) but it will settle and it works out well. Leave it to dry and you'll have a nice looking top.

it's a little bit of work, but I dont think you need to do it very often. I'm hopeing every few months.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not familiar with the car wash soap you are using. I use the more traditional sort of car wash that is mixed with water at a prescribed ratio. I have used this on my top for almost five years with good results. I also recommend a boar's hair brush for top cleaning. Good for getting dirt out of the grooves in our "simulated canvass" textured vinyl tops. Also, if the gel you are using is really too harsh for your top, I wonder what it is doing to your gaskets and similar parts?

If the products other than 303 you wish to use on your top prior to getting your 303 do not dry to a "hard" or "semi-'hard" finish, they should be OK for use on your top. Though I recommend 303, I have not tried EVERYTHING that is available for top finish. IMO, the important thing is that you use a product with UV ray protection.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 05-25-2006, 09:04 AM

thanks for the help guys

dolebluger is the boar's hair brush something i get at an auto parts store?

also this is the soap im using http://www.meguiars.com/?car-washes/Soft-Wash-Gel
Old 05-25-2006, 09:39 AM

I have never seen a boar's hair brush in my area at a car parts store. I ordered mine from Griot's Garage (www.griotsgarage.com). They offer several different types. Other on-line detailer supply companies also sell these brushes. The bristles are very soft. Good for washing the painted part of the car, too.

I note that your gel wax's web site says it won't strip wax. Assuming that to be so, I can't see how it could damage your top. Might want to dilute it down a bit, though.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 05-26-2006, 05:49 AM

thanks, for the help. i will be looking into getting one of the boar's hair brushes
Old 05-26-2006, 05:58 AM

here is a topic that I started that has a good deal on 303, hope it helps

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=390996
Old 05-26-2006, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by DreamingOfAnS2k,May 26 2006, 08:49 AM
thanks, for the help. i will be looking into getting one of the boar's hair brushes
Boar's hair brushes are EXPENSIVE expect to pay at least $50 (I think the Griot's one is $60).

Personally, I just use an upholstry brush in conjunction with a good vinyl cleaner on my top once a month or so. The brush I use costs maybe $2-$5.

Either way just remember you don't need to scrub the heck out of it. Just brush with light pressure.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:51 AM

I know boar's hair brushes are relatively expensive. Thing is, I've tried just about every synthetic bristle car wash brush available, and none of them did a very good job, IMO. A detailer I know and respect recommended a long bristled boar's hair brush. After getting past the price and ordering one, I found that it did the best job ever of washing the top, the car, the wheels, and the tires.

And yes, it works best with very little pressure. As the bristles on mine are very soft and about 5" long, I don't think it would be possible to use much pressure anyway. And it is VERY good at getting dirt out of the little groves in our "simulated canvass" vinyl tops.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 05-26-2006, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by dolebludger,May 26 2006, 10:51 AM
I know boar's hair brushes are relatively expensive. Thing is, I've tried just about every synthetic bristle car wash brush available, and none of them did a very good job, IMO. A detailer I know and respect recommended a long bristled boar's hair brush. After getting past the price and ordering one, I found that it did the best job ever of washing the top, the car, the wheels, and the tires.

And yes, it works best with very little pressure. As the bristles on mine are very soft and about 5" long, I don't think it would be possible to use much pressure anyway. And it is VERY good at getting dirt out of the little groves in our "simulated canvass" vinyl tops.

Thanks,
Richard
I hope you didn't take my post the wrong way. IMO boar's hair brushes are very good. The only knock against them is their price. For my money, I would rather spend $10 on a sheepskin mitt for the paint and $4 on an upholstery brush for the top.

Quick Reply: washing the top