S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Washing at a do it yourself carwash?

Old 05-09-2012, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We can only do what we can do. When I lived in NJ I used to use the DIY car wash, as I had limited options. The suggestions above that you bring your own supplies are very good. Most coin-op places will let you do this, as long as you are using the bay during off-peak hours.

May I also suggest an alternative: Optimum No Rinse. With ONR you do not need a hose and water supply. You can wash your car in your garage, driveway, at the curb, or in a parking lot. All you need is a bucket filled with two gallons of water, wash mitt, and several microfiber drying cloths. In the winter time, if my car is particularly dirty, I'll take it to the coin-op, spray down the car, and then drive home and give it an ONR wash.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigxsteph2000
Originally Posted by RUGBY' timestamp='1336479622' post='21678725
You can certainly take it to a DIY carwash.

I would recommend going off hours so your not rushed or backing up other cars.

Bring your own buckets, washmitts, towels and chemicals - - - basically use the carwash only for their water.

Don't use their wand brushes, they may have just washed an off-road jeep with rocks/mud/debris.

In terms of the pressure hose, just don't point it at 90 degrees to the paint (spray on an angle) and don't point at the seals on the roof - - - it will blast right through.

You are good to go.

What are some good supplies I can get for the wash as in towels ,washmits, carwash solution? Also what do you suggest to dry off my rag top and car???
You can go crazy and literally spend hundreds of dollars on chemicals and equipment. I would start slow and build up.

I'll keep it on subject with only a car wash, not a polish/wax which is a whole other thread

This is how I would start...

Chemicals:
a decent car shampoo - - - try adam's
a decent spray detailer - - - again try adam's
a top cleaner/protectant - - - ragg topp or 303 (make sure they are for vinyl)

Hardware:
two 5 gallon buckets - - - one with soap, one with plain water for rinse (grit guards are nice but not essential)
2 or 3 sponges - - - keep body and wheels sponges separate
5 or 6 microfiber towels - - - keep clean ones for drying/spray detailing, semi-dirty for door/trunk/hood jambs, dirty for engine/wheels. If your just starting, go to target/costco for less expensive microfiber for the jambs and wheels. Invest in some decent microfiber for the paint surfaces.

You can get all of the above at almost any on-line detailer. I would suggest Phil at Detailers Domain (www.detailerdomain.com). He is a forum sponsor and big supporter of the community. Go with his Uber line of products which are very solid choices.

Good luck!
Old 05-24-2012, 06:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by akimel
We can only do what we can do. When I lived in NJ I used to use the DIY car wash, as I had limited options. The suggestions above that you bring your own supplies are very good. Most coin-op places will let you do this, as long as you are using the bay during off-peak hours.

May I also suggest an alternative: Optimum No Rinse. With ONR you do not need a hose and water supply. You can wash your car in your garage, driveway, at the curb, or in a parking lot. All you need is a bucket filled with two gallons of water, wash mitt, and several microfiber drying cloths. In the winter time, if my car is particularly dirty, I'll take it to the coin-op, spray down the car, and then drive home and give it an ONR wash.
Optimum No Rinse is amazing!! I recommend this stuff all the time for people that live in apartments or just like a nice easy way to clean their car even in the garage! This stuff works great but like Akimel said if your car is really dirty make sure you spray it off first. A great way to use this also is to take it to the coin wash and spray the car off really well and then simply use the ONR to wash it.